LCVG

GTA: San Andreas officially announced

Adam Tyner

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 1, 2004--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing division of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the next iteration in the globally successful Grand Theft Auto franchise. Developed by world-class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system and is expected to be in stores in North America on October 19, 2004 and in Europe on October 22, 2004.

"In the past couple of years, we have put an enormous amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure we do everything possible to exceed people's expectations with Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," stated Sam Houser, President of Rockstar Games. "Even though we still have eight months to go, we are starting to become very proud of what we have achieved and we can't wait to get the game into players' hands."

Leslie Benzies, President of Rockstar North, stated, "We are extremely humbled by the success of the Grand Theft Auto series and it has made us push ourselves further than ever to create a title in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that will hopefully redefine the Grand Theft Auto series and revolutionize open-ended gameplay and video game production values."

Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.

[edit] - removed safe harbour gubbins.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"from what you've read"?? Go play it, now :) It's available for free from Rockstar's website...

It was predominantly San Francisco with a mishmash of California style to it. Can't say I'm shocked at all by the announcement, it made perfect sense to complete the "trilogy" so-to-speak.

Originally posted by Snakefish@Mar 1 2004, 09:49 AM

Or *gasp*, you travel from SF -> LA or back in the game, thus the enigmatic San Andreas title? Both cities would fit, and could you imagine anything sweeter than a GTA title with more than one city in it?

As long as it wasn't realistic that would be great...because the vast majority of the trip between SF and LA is excruciatingly boring (unless you take the coastal route).

Originally posted by dogbert@Mar 1 2004, 11:41 AM

Yup. They'd said the next GTA title would still have a period of exclusivity for the PS2, but no details about how long.

Please don't read this as being a thread fart, because it's not intended to be one, but if that's the case, I will wait for the Xbox version to come out later on down the road. Don't get me wrong... I'm eager to play this game, but I can stand the wait. Besides, I'll have all those great platformers for the PS2 to play this year anyway. :)

One unanswered question is the time-frame they are setting this in. I'm really curious as to if this means a return to the present-day setting of GTAs 1 and 3 (which I'm sure will please some), or if they are going to do the natural thing after the success of Vice City and set the game at the height of San Francisco's Flower Power days.

Taking jobs to 'spice up' ant-Vietnam demos would be an interesting way to build on the few good moments in State Of Emergency and throw a full-blown riot on the screen, and the opportunity to nick (an impersonation of) a'68 Mustang for Vigilante Mode would just be the absolute winner.

Originally posted by iainl@Mar 2 2004, 03:46 AM

One unanswered question is the time-frame they are setting this in. I'm really curious as to if this means a return to the present-day setting of GTAs 1 and 3 (which I'm sure will please some), or if they are going to do the natural thing after the success of Vice City and set the game at the height of San Francisco's Flower Power days.

I was thinking the same thing. Having that 80's vibe to Vice City gave that game so much style and personality, and in a strange way, made it more timeless than something like Grand Theft Auto III. And since they've already done the 80's "Miami Vice" thing, the 1970's seem like the next best thing. I say set the whole thing in 1977 and fill it with pimp-mobiles, discos, bell bottoms, and a lot of big afros. While they're at it, if Rockstar could sneak in a few references to Roller Girl from Boogie Nights, I'd be fine with that. ;)

Of course, this makes me wonder what a Grand Theft Auto game could be like if they had the guts to set it in Chicago during the 1930s. Now that would be a cool game.

"Of course, this makes me wonder what a Grand Theft Auto game could be like if they had the guts to set it in Chicago during the 1930s."

You have seen Mafia, haven't you?

Continuing the thoughts on timezone, Vice City was a clear combination of Miami Vice and Scarface (the De Palma version). So which movies might they be getting inspiration from in the Bay Area? Bullitt is the obvious one (as I mentioned), but there are ideas that would suit, too.

The amalgam with LA would allow for the '92 riots, and more Heat references than you can shake a stick at, for instance. Throw in some Dotcom Boom gags, and a mid-nineties setting is working for me, too.

Originally posted by iainl@Mar 2 2004, 05:18 AM

You have seen Mafia, haven't you?

Well, of course I have...

...not seen that game.

(J.Fo goes off to look up info on Mafia.)

Okay, so it's basically what I described above. That's cool. I also see that it was a popular PC game, which would explain why I didn't know anything about it until now. (I'm a console-exclussive gamer at the moment.) It's now available for the Playstation 2 and will come out on the Xbox sometime later this year. Interesting.

I'd recommend waiting for the XBox version if you're not in a hurry; the Edge review this month suggests that shoe-horning it into a PS2 hasn't gone particularly well.

Hey, if they do go for a Sixties setting, can we bring back the Gouranga! bonus?