LCVG

MTX Mototrax

JoeyN

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bryan

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, Joey. Looking forward to some racing.

One really cool feature: you can design your own layouts with a track editor and then share them online. Sounds like fun to me!

3 or 4 of the developers have been hanging out at xblracing for the last month or so hype'n it up.

They've sold me. I've been playing MX unleashed for the last week in anticipation.

needless to say I will be picking it up tomorrow with CM4. :tu:

Guest Bryan

I picked this up at lunch today and got to spend a few minutes with it. Here are some of the things that caught my eye:

1. Live Aware

2. Supports custom soundtracks

3. Build-a-racer mode with some slight customization - there are some stock faces

to choose from, along with riding equipment and clothing. The system works

the same as TopSpin - earn dough and buy new stuff.

4. Dirt Wurx Track Builder - lets you set up a layout in a coliseum environment

5. Online game modes include racing, King of the Hill and Freestyle Battle.

Freestyle Battle lets you set a point total before the round - riders perform

tricks until their total eclipses the preset #.

I rode one freestyle session in Travis Pastrana's compound level. The bike handled well and I was pleased with what I saw. I think this will be another Carve - little to no fanfare, but damn fun to play. I need to get busy unlocking some tracks in career mode!

Guest Bryan

Ed,

I thought so at first, but a developer chat made me think it would not work online.

I'll verify tonight.

** Who is playing this tonight??

GameCrazy is the only gamestore I have any credit at, and of course they didn't order any copies. For some INSANE reason, GameCrazy cannot order any game that has already been released without it taking up to a month to arrive. I'll have to do some creative financing to get this game.

Well, my Gametsop STILL hasn't gotten Carve in, nor did they get any copies of MTX Mototraax in either. I have a 120$ store credit there, and none in my area have any copies of either in stock.

I have a meeting in the City tomorrow, so I'll check out and see if any Gamestops around there have any in stock.

I'm still going to hold off for a bit on this one. The movies I've seen, while it does look like fun just seems a little too twitchy. Of course it could be the person playing, but still, I'm waiting for some reviews and impressions before I put $50 down on it.

Seems like the live portion of the game is badly implemented according to user reports over at xblracing. This is just the live portion and not single player, seems the single player is enjoyable.

If however your interest in the game is live racing, then a rental might be in order first.

Guest Bryan

For those who are not dismissing the game, the track editor is great fun. I designed and raced a rudimentary course last night. You can race the track, see a spot to change and then jump right back into the designer to swap out a section.

I'd like to try out the Live portion tonight if anyone can meet up with me. Joey? I'll be on around 9:30 p.m.

Thanks,

Bryan

Well, I'm not dismissing it. ;)

I actually enjoy the Activision "Extreme" games (Tony Hawk, etc.) so I was planning on picking it up. And lo and behold, I did. :green:

I'd be up for some MTX on XBL tonight, say after 9PM EST? Survivor is on, and I'm not missing it.

Had a chance to play some MTX when I got home tonight. No multiplayer, but single player.

I already like it better than MX. The career mode seems very cool, and more like Tony Hawk's Underground so far. The create a rider is ok, not as deep as say Top Spin, but better than MX Unleashed. There are pro sponsors and equipment as well. It seems to be a mix of SSX3 and Tony Hawk Underground atafter the little while I played it.

In terms of graphics, I think I like MTX better so far. The environments are less sparse than MX, although the textures in MX are nicer. There are way more objects in the environment in MTX as far as I can tell.

I do miss the ragdoll effect when you crash, but I'll get over it.

Control seems "tighter" than MX Unleashed, but it may be just me.

I'll know more about multiplayer tonight after I log a few games with Bryan.

Have you ever played ExciteBike 64, Chris? If you have, is the handling the same in MTX?

Never played Excitebike 64 Scott, sorry. :(

What I can tell you is that the control scheme is almost exactly like MX Unleashed. And I had no problem controlling or handling the bike in MTX after playing MX Unleashed.

Bryan and I did play one race together, and it was fun as hell. It loads up the map, which looked very nice indeed, and I was able to race around it until he joined in. Once he joined in we could freeride until I decided to start the race. It reminded me of Midtown Madness 3 as you can come and go as you like when people are in free ride mode, with only a slight pause as it loads the other player(s) in.

We only tried one track, but it was DAMN fun. Voice chat was excellent, and there were only one or two instances of Bryans character "jumping" or "warping". You can also use your career character in online races as well.

All in all, I'm really liking this game. The depth of the career mode, combined with the seemingly good multiplayer really propel this above Unleashed IMO.

Guest Bryan

Very enjoyable Live session. I wonder if bandwidth/lag played any part in the negative experiences some have had? Chris and I raced and talked flawlessly from the time I got his invite until we stopped. I would recommend this to Carve fans - similar feel and same type of racing fun. Freekstyle fans will enjoy this one.