LCVG

Fable Co-op Cancelled!

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we will not be including the Multiplayer feature in Fable. There simply isn?t enough time to polish it to the standard we feel would be required to match that of the rest of the game. Instead we have decided to focus our resources on fine-tuning the single-player experience to ensure it is of the highest possible quality.

Lionhead's web site has a FAQ that states the above:

http://www.lhtimes.com/faqs/fable.htm#general

Can't say I'm too suprised. I'm expecting more features to get "cut" before its release - that's what generally happens when you promise the moon on a stick in interviews way, way ahead of completion.

I've seen comments on the last bunch of screenshots not looking quite as good graphically as previous screenshots, but that really doesn't mean much.

Originally posted by kfredericks@Mar 3 2004, 08:42 AM

Yeah, I read on bungie.net that they may not complete the core multiplayer component and that it will be a $19.99 xblive add-on in Spring 2005.

I hope this is a joke. I will be seriously annoyed if games start shipping incomplete and we are expected to shell out extra cash on top of the $49.99 just to get the whole game. Not only would it set a dangerous precedent for future games, it would also be pretty low to price gouge on the Xbox's biggest game.

I will be seriously annoyed if games start shipping incomplete and we are expected to shell out extra cash on top of the $49.99 just to get the whole game.

Not a PC gamer, I take it :green:.

I agree, this is a slippery slope that I hope consoles do not start going down with the whole downloadable content thing because PC games notoriously ship incomplete and it is not something I'm looking for in a console.

I'm assuming we're just trying to start another Halo 2 rumor so the Fable thread gets a million posts ;). But the loss of co-op for any game is a sad, sad thing.

If Bungie knows what's good for them

Come on now gents do you REALLY think that Bungie would release Halo 2 without Live implementation? The problem is when posts are done in the manner that Keith posted, the meaning (sarcasm) can get lost (ie a smiley would have helpedKeith) but the idea of them releasing Halo 2 with no online implementation is so proposterous I find it hard to believe anyone is actually taking that comment seriously.

Nonetheless folks lets move the discussion back to where it needs to be which is Fable and the loss of co-op play.

If I'm not mistaken, this wasn't a Live feature in the first place was it? I remember reading in the OXM a few months back that it actually involved taking your character to a friend's Xbox via Memory Card and then having one hero, and supporting "orbs"... where if the supporting "orb" could get enough points, he took over and became the hero. You'd still get to keep any EXP and items you found though and bring them back to your Xbox...

Jason, that's what I remember as well. There was NO Xbox Live multiplayer functionality, but it did involve bringing your character via memory card to a friends, or vice versa.

In essence, it's not even "multiplayer" because only one person could play at a time anyway.