LCVG

Oops!

Camp

The seatbelt did a great job. The airbag, however, never deployed.

Traffic in front of me stopped and, for whatever reason, I did not. I smacked the poor lady in front of me and she hit the lady in front of her. Bummer of a bad day.

Luckily, no one was injured.

I'm really hating the Impala I got from the rental company. I feel like a grandpa. Still a bit uneasy when approaching stopping traffic though.

Guest Bryan
Originally posted by iCamp@Mar 3 2004, 09:06 AM

The airbag, however, never deployed.

Glad everyone is alright.

Sounds like you have the manufacturer over a barrel - call Mark Geragos!

Glad to hear you are okay. (and everyone else)

Some more hours playing video games ought to sharpen those reflexes a little! :D

As to why your airbag didn't deploy, my rudimentary understanding of the technology is that you car would need to be squashed a little more for the activation device to trigger. Looks like you went under a little, instead of being smushed.

Edit: Found this: here

The sensor is the device that tells the bag to inflate. Inflation happens when there is a collision force equal to running into a brick wall at 10 to 15 miles per hour (16 to 24 km per hour). A mechanical switch is flipped when there is a mass shift that closes an electrical contact, telling the sensors that a crash has occurred. The sensors receive information from an accelerometer built into a microchip.

Guess you didn't have enough of a "mass shift" to cause deployment. My understanding is that a sudden stop alone won't cause it to fire. The switch is mechanical, but not based on inertia like your seatbelt locking mechanism. In other words, if you were somehow able to go from 30 mph to zero without squashing the front end, your airbag will not fire.

Carlos.

As to why your airbag didn't deploy, my rudimentary understanding of the technology is that you car would need to be squashed a little more for the activation device to trigger. Looks like you went under a little, instead of being smushed.

What he said! You have to hit something pretty hard for the airbag to deploy, and it does look like you went under her car more than anything. Was she driving a truck or SUV?

Same thing, if you get nailed from the side, your front airbag won't deploy. Pretty much because it is more dangerous at that point (and costly!) Anyway, glad you are all right!

Originally posted by gigapower+Mar 3 2004, 10:51 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gigapower @ Mar 3 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-stencil@Mar 3 2004, 10:50 AM

Wow. Glad to see you're okay.

Seeing stuff like this makes me glad to not have to drive a car every day.

i wish i had that luxury. [/b]

It's a luxury alright, except for when you want to go anywhere the subway doesn't go. At that point, you're renting a car for close to $100 a day (NYC prices), which isn't so nice.

Well, I nearly got doored on my bike this morning, luckily I was being careful and managed to swerve and squeeze out of the way between the truck to my left and the edge of the open door...but I'll be damned if nobody ever looks before they open their car door.

So while I love being able to get around without a car, its not without it's disadvantages as well.

Very glad to hear you're OK Camp.

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Mar 3 2004, 11:13 AM

So while I love being able to get around without a car, its not without it's disadvantages as well.

Heh. You're not even safe on foot, either. My ankles almost got taken out this morning by a forklift careening out of a blind loading dock in Chelsea. I often think people who live in cities should get walking insurance, and there should be walking traffic laws, like staying on the right-hand side.