LCVG

More than 10% of PS2's connected online

Carlucci

2.6 million

Pretty amazing! I guess with all our xbox-centric talk here, I had lost sight of the fact that the PS2 has more online gamers. Xbox has just 1/2 million users online, as of November 2003.

I still haven't come across a game on PS2 that has made me want to buy the broadband adapter for the PS2, even though I have been very satisfied with XBL.

But where do they get the "quarter of billion" gamers? 70 million is impressive, but it's hardly 250 million. I guess they are counting anyone who says they play on a PS2.

Do you think the success of PS2's online gaming might actually be helping Xbox sell more units? If I had only a PS2, and I had fun online with it, but then heard about how the xbox's is superior (subjective, I know) from friends, I would be very eager to try the xbox out.

Carlos.

Originally posted by Carlucci@Mar 3 2004, 12:15 PM

Do you think the success of PS2's online gaming might actually be helping Xbox sell more units? If I had only a PS2, and I had fun online with it, but then heard about how the xbox's is superior (subjective, I know) from friends, I would be very eager to try the xbox out.

Absolutely, at least for someone like me. I had so much fun playing with all of you in SOCOM that I had to continue the fun on Live. Live is the main reason I bought an Xbox.

Wow, that's more users than I would have guessed too. I've had my adapter since they first came out, but my experiences with finding players online have been pretty disappointing. I haven't tried some of the more popular online PS2 titles like Madden and SOCOM, but it definitely seems like XBL is the way to go if you're serious about online gaming. In fact, just the other day I was thinking I ought to get an XBox just to be able to play with everyone here.

If I hadn't been forced to throw $700 out the window to the IRS soon, maybe I would have picked one up. :bang:

Some stories I dug up for you Ed.

Xbox Live

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/counte...ws_6078233.html

In related news, Microsoft reported high usage numbers for the online game service. In a short e-mail burst to the industry today, a Microsoft spokesperson said that on Sunday, November 2, the online gaming service set new usage records. "On that day, 83,652 unique users spent 262,268 hours on the service.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/news/news_6078272.html

no fewer than 83,652 players spent a total of 262,268 hours online. The most popular Xbox Live game on Sunday was the recently released Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3, which recorded a total of 24,478 players for the day and at one point accounted for 6,731 players simultaneously.

Playstation 2 Online

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/socom2/...ws_6078271.html

Sony Computer Entertainment America has today revealed that SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs, which was released on November 4, is already breaking records online. SOCOM II has rapidly replaced its predecessor as the number one online PS2 game in terms of simultaneous players, with a figure of over 22,000 already recorded. The original SOCOM typically supports up to 14,500 simultaneous players during peak times.

Daily usage numbers are almost impossible to get but these seem to be par course for newer releases.

So based on those numbers PS2 online has a lot more payers. 6,700 simultaneous gamers on a record day for the Xbox compared to 22,000 simultaneous gamers on a record PS2 day.

Not a really reliable statistic to extrapolate from, but the difference is great enough that it stands to reason that PS2 online really does have more players using it.

Of course the models for the two systems are totally different with MS getting $50 a year for Live, and Sony getting nothing, AFAIK.

But to play devil's advocate to Carlos' point, I wonder if PS2 online is keeping people away from the Xbox, if they are playing PS2 online and doing so for free, then why bother paying for it? Seems like there are intuitive arguments for both sides...

But I'm totally clueless about PS2 online, how many of the games actually offer free online gaming?

Guest Bryan

In my personal experience, the quality of entertainment on Live is 10x that of taking the PS2 online. The gameplay is similar, but the voice connection is far better on Live. PS2 friends sound 'tinny' and I hear every word I utter as an echo.

I would be very curious to know how many of those PS2 online users also subscribe to Live.

I have both, and I like both. The PS2 service seems based more on PC gaming, with voice chat almost an afterthought and random game hookups more prevalent than playing with friends, but I haven't really seen much lag or had trouble connecting. These aren't issues for me personally, but I like the games being "free" and having 56k support. Live is without a doubt the superior service, but I think EA makes a damn good game and I like playing them online, so the PS2 network adapter is a must.

One other thing to keep in mind is how many of those XBOX Live users are basically people that signed up on the free 2 month trial when buying a Live enabled game.

With Halo 2 now being pushed back, I see those XBOX Live numbers decreasing until Halo 2 comes out, which I'm sure will make them go through the roof :)

I don't play online all that much, so I just have my PS2 rigged up for online gaming. The only online games I've played have been EA ones, and for the most part it has been a very positive experience. EA has really created a very good service. However, once it gets closer to Halo 2 time(or maybe Splinter Cell 2 depending on how good the mutliplayer is), I will more than likely be also signing up for XBOX Live. Looking forward to it.

My biggest beef with PS2 online is that outside of SOCOM, games don't typically support more than a couple of players.

Otherwise, I'd probably have my PS2 online. Though I do fear the asshat factor.

I'll probably stick with what the majority of LCVGers use, because of the asshat factor. If PS3 online becomes way more popular than XBox 2 online around here, I'll probably play PS3.

I think you guys are forgetting the large ratio of pain in the butts that appear on Live as well.

I can't stand the Live users outside of the people in this forum.

I think when I've played a game online I've only run into 3 or 4 people that don't quit when losing or something like that.

This site is teh Xb0X biased. :P

Glen

Is there any word at this point of the PS2 moving to a pay service like the XBOX?

I've had a PS2 since launch date but only bought an XBOX last summer. I also just signed for Live 2 days ago. Since Live seems to be the more talked about online service, it's naturally the one I was most comfortable going with.

Also, having to put up the money for the PS2 online adaptor isn't something I was wanting to do without knowing how long the 'free' service would continue for.

Anyway, with my current 2-month free trial and subsequent 1-year subscription card that came with my starter kit, I'm paid for through until May 2005. :D

Originally posted by danger9777@Mar 4 2004, 10:06 AM

One other thing to keep in mind is how many of those XBOX Live users are basically people that signed up on the free 2 month trial when buying a Live enabled game.

The same could be said for those buying the PS2 with the network adapter and the ATV pack in.

I prefer XBL :shock:, mainly for it's integration and ease of use. The only PS2 game that I played online for an extended period was CoN and I'm getting ready to trade it in. Like Beer Monkey said, most PS2 online games support 2 players, so going from 16 player games to 2 players games, well, you get the idea ;)

Well, my point with the 2 month XBOX Live thing was that XBOX's sold fairly decent this holiday season and so each person who bought an XBOX had the free 2 month trial, not to mention buying an XBOX Live enabled game. I was just curious about how many of those 750,000 XBOX Live subscribers were actually just 2 month trial people.

I agree though that PS2 also counted a number of people in their tally who probably bought the bundle pack and just messed around online with it.

I look forward to playing on XBOX Live soon. Right now I can't really justify the expense since there aren't a whole lot of Live games I'm interested in, but Halo 2 or Splinter Cell 2 will probably be enough to sign me up. :)

I'll wager that most buyers of Live-enabled games don't even have broadband, and that the little cards go unused. This will vary by game...I'd expect most FPS buyers are buying for online, but I bet most sports buyers aren't.

Then I bet that the next largest number of users are people that already have Live, and the little cards go unused.

I bet a very small percentage of those cards get used.

Does the PS2 online thing work like XBL with accounts and usernames? Or do you just connect to a game server and enter a name? If it uses "accounts", wouldn't a lot of people have more than one?

Early PS2 online games were like this. Later games, like SOCOM 2, only allow a certain number of accounts.

Killer Aps like SOCOM have fueled the PS2 online frenzy. Like it has been stated before - XBL will see a big jump in subscribers if EA comes aboard & when Halo 2 comes out.

IMHO...

I'm not so sure about that with the Xbox. There are millions of those 2 month coupons floating around and you have to figure that Halo isn't going to put a lot of people over the top on online gaming. Chances are, they're Live players already.

If Madden 2005 was online... that would be different.

Glen