LCVG

Sam and Max Season 1 Coming this Fall Discussion

Beer Monkey

http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496351p1.html

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC."

First Full Throttle, now this.

I guess they are going to stick with mostly-lame SW franchise games.

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Mar 3 2004, 01:47 PM

http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496351p1.html

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC."

First Full Throttle, now this.

I guess they are going to stick with mostly-lame SW franchise games.

:bang:

What the fuck?

I hope Syberia II sells bucketloads (which it probably won't) and proves 'em wrong...

I must say, LucasArts is a pale, pale shadow of the company they once were.

Shame. I always thought they'd keep it together even as other companies like Sierra combusted internally. They spread too thin and didn't have the talent to back it up, in my opinion.

Both companies went to producing a wide spread of not necessarily top-tier titles instead of focusing and putting out good product.

Dead shame to see Sam & Max 2 go like this. As noted, Full Throttle 2 wasn't looking to be much of a sequel anyway.

I wonder how complete the game was. They were already announcing bonus discs and such, so I thought it was pretty well along.

Maybe the game really sucked. If the reason really is 'market conditions', maybe they should have at least tried starting with an XBox release (better market for graphic adventure on the consoles...maybe). Should be a fairly easy port.

Hearing the news that everything was going so well just makes it *THAT* much worse.

Agreed. It?s always a favourite genre of mine, and I?ve always carried much love for the original Sam & Max outing.... It?s deeply disappointing news. I long for the return of such games, but with such decisions being made, stamping out any chance of seeing whether there is a new market for the genre, hopes remain shattered. It's still a personal dream that Futurama would be realised in such a way in gaming form.

To paraphrase the great professor, tell Lucasarts I hate them.

Daniel

Yeah adventure pc games is one of my favorite things. too bad you dont see them like they used to make em. Some of my favs we

Sam and max of course

Space Quest Series

King Quest Series

Trek :TOS and Anniversary Edition

Police Quest

I know im missing a few

Like i said. Sam and max :freelance was a last hope to proove they could still be popular

The nice thing is though, adventure games won't die, they'll stay underground like they have for the last little bit.

The Longest Journey 2 and the efforts of AGD Interactive (formerly Tierra Entertainment) may not jumpstart the genre, but they'll still give those of us who remember that era a good time.

With the loss of Sam & Max 2 though, which was admittedly more mainstream, the next best thing is probably Jane Jensen's new title. That'll be something worth watching for.

I wonder how much cash LucasArts loses by shutting down the whole production like that?

It's still a personal dream that Futurama would be realised in such a way in gaming form.

That would be a sight to behold. Furturama would be the perfect setting for a quality PC adventure game.

the next best thing is probably Jane Jensen's new title

Mark I fear the day that a new Gabriel Knights game is made. I fear we will lose you to the darkness forever. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sam and Max (and adventure games) may return. From a Gamespot article:

Industry veterans Dan Connors, Kevin Bruner, and Troy Molander, along with other key members of the team that was developing Sam and Max: Freelance Police for LucasArts, have formed a new studio called Telltale Games. The San Rafael-based developer will concentrate on "re-energizing" the adventure game market.

The article isn't just a blurb; there's also an interview.

-j

Excellent. When adventure games were big was when i was highly into computer games. Played all the Kq, SQ, Larry's, Sam and Max, ST games and so on. Loved all of them. I hope the new company brings out a new franchise to drag people in like some of sierras old series did

capt