LCVG

New Wireless Phone help please

JTello

My current wireless phone contract with Sprint is up and I'm looking for your input and experiences with your carriers.

I can only get Sprint service at the back door of my new house so I will probably move on.

Please discuss your carrier, coverage, customer service, reception quality.

If I had to say I'm leaning toward anyone it might be AT&T or Verizon based on thier coverages, and based on some discussions I've read. I had Cingular before and thier customer support is what I imagine chinese water torture feels like.

Also, what is the best way to get a good deal? I'm looking to get 400- 500 minutes, and pay as little for it as possible. And nationwide long distance is negligible enough pricewise that I'd perfer to have it included. Also, I don't need data support.

And finally what phone/phones do you have, like/dislike,and why?

Thank you for your help guys.

If I had to say I'm leaning toward anyone it might be AT&T or Verizon based on thier coverages, and based on some discussions I've read. I had Cingular before and thier customer support is what I imagine chinese water torture feels like.

AT&T will be Cingular by the end of the year, so keep that in mind.

Well, I'm not sure if it's available in your area, but I have the LG VX4400 phone.

As far as phone features go, it's a pretty good phone with a 65,000 color screen. I managed to track down a cable for it that allows me to put my own ring tones and backgrounds on it as well, so it suits my needs.

As far as call plans go, I can't help too much. Work picks up the tab for me.

Glen

JTello: I'm in Kansas City and I use Verizon - I've been with them for two years and never had any problems. My plan is the "America's Choice" with the nationwide long distance you mentioned, and I get 400 anytime minutes plus something like 3,000 night/weekend minutes (more than I could ever use) per month, for $39.99/mo.

Anyway, call clarity is always excellent and I've never had problems with dropped calls or loss of coverage (and I've taken it all over the country). I just switched to an LG VX6000, but before that I was using an LG TM510.

Just my experience. Let us know what you end up going with.

Edit: Just noticed a couple of other things you wanted input on. Verizon's customer service has always been very helpful with minimal hold time. I love the VX6000 (it's their camera phone), but it's a digital-only phone so it might not work in some remote, analog network areas. If you're in major metropolitan areas I don't think it'd be a problem at all.

Originally posted by ChoiceStriker@Mar 3 2004, 03:46 PM

JTello: I'm in Kansas City and I use Verizon - I've been with them for two years and never had any problems. My plan is the "America's Choice" with the nationwide long distance you mentioned, and I get 400 anytime minutes plus something like 3,000 night/weekend minutes (more than I could ever use) per month, for $39.99/mo.

Anyway, call clarity is always excellent and I've never had problems with dropped calls or loss of coverage (and I've taken it all over the country). I just switched to an LG VX6000, but before that I was using an LG TM510.

Just my experience. Let us know what you end up going with.

Edit: Just noticed a couple of other things you wanted input on. Verizon's customer service has always been very helpful with minimal hold time. I love the VX6000 (it's their camera phone), but it's a digital-only phone so it might not work in some remote, analog network areas. If you're in major metropolitan areas I don't think it'd be a problem at all.

Ditto.

There is no such thing as good service in the cellular industry. Everyone I meet hates their carrier.

I dropped Sprint in January in favor of Cingular. I found Sprint's customer service intolerable and their proprietary system limiting (with Sprint you are forced to use only their ringers & downloadable graphics & apps, their cell phone camera set-up is insane and you are forced to connect to the Internet [slooow] each time you want to send a text message).

Operationally, I've found Cingular an amazing improvement over Sprint. The coverage is decent but not perfect, however. I have had zero experience with their customer support thus far.

I use Nextel. Best Wireless service I've had. They are a bit more expensive than everyone else, and if no one eles you know uses them, they are kind of pointless.

For the record I have had, Sprint, At&t, Cingular, Cellular One (now Cingular). None of them compared to the service I get from Nextel.

-Dean-

I love Cincinnati Bell, but you have to live here.

I got a new promo in January, and now for $50 a month (indefinitely), I get service for two GSM phones with 1000 pooled minutes. This includes long distance and national roaming on the AT&T net. They are also already friendly with Cingular, I get free Cingular roaming for the fringe areas of Greater Cincinnati where the Bell service is not great (lots of hills).

I could have stuck with my Bell TDMA/CDMA phones and gotten the same deal. GSM has its pros and cons.

Thank you for the help so far everyone! I'm really still very undecided in this process. My next step will probably be to pick up the phone and start calling around to see what deals I can coax out of the carriers.

p.s. Whenever I settle on my service I'll be sure to post an update. :)