LCVG

Cant believe this auction on Ebay

Bruce B

Heh, the funniest part:

Do not miss your chance to buy your way to stardom!

I always have to laugh at people who would rather take the easy way out than actually earn something.

Besides, won't whoever buys that have to actually be good at the game in order to maintain that ranking?

P.S. I think it's funny that all the bidders have 1, 2, or 4 feedback ratings. That's telling.

Heh, that's very interesting. It seems laughable on the surface (especially the price!!), but does it indicate things to come? Could status or even 'things' earned in the virtual world come to have value in the real world?

I thought I heard about people trying to get cash for items they own in EverQuest.

Maybe this will become more and more common, and not seem so outrageous in the future(?)

I thought I heard about people trying to get cash for items they own in EverQuest.

Oh yes, no rumor, that was actually happening. There was a very, very robust EQ market on eBay for quite some time, with rare items fetching hundreds of dollars for the people who sold them. I believe a couple people actually made a semi-living doing it, camping out on-line to get the best items.

I believe Sony finally squelched this by either altering the Terms of Service or enforcing part of it that was already there, but you can no longer get the items on eBay if I remember rightly.

Happens regularly with MMORPGs, and it's gotten to the point that there are sweatshops out in China powerleveling through the game 24 hours a day as the market can be so lucrative.

A freind of mine was dating someone who did this sorta thing with several MMORPG's. I was really kinda pissed off about it and railed on him the entire night about how his kind are scum for preying on the Evercrack addicts.

Why is it such a big deal?? I don't play EQ, but if you are hardcore like some of the people I hear about, why not? Is it any worst than buying a Master Chief figure becuse I like Halo? Are you pissed at Bungie for selling figures? Mad at Lucas for selling Star Wars toys? At least the items that were being sold were of use to someone. My Master Cheif figure just collects dust. It's not like they are being taken advantage of here, do they need the items they buy? Likely not, do I need video game toys, no. It's not like they are scamming people here, you get what you pay for, and something is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Cofn@Mar 8 2004, 12:27 PM

A freind of mine was dating someone who did this sorta thing with several MMORPG's. I was really kinda pissed off about it and railed on him the entire night about how his kind are scum for preying on the Evercrack addicts.

Why is it such a big deal?? I don't play EQ, but if you are hardcore like some of the people I hear about, why not? Is it any worst than buying a Master Chief figure becuse I like Halo? Are you pissed at Bungie for selling figures? Mad at Lucas for selling Star Wars toys? At least the items that were being sold were of use to someone. My Master Cheif figure just collects dust. It's not like they are being taken advantage of here, do they need the items they buy? Likely not, do I need video game toys, no. It's not like they are scamming people here, you get what you pay for, and something is only worth what people are willing to pay. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think the point of it is needing the things we buy. I mean, do any of us NEED most of the things we buy ? Not really. All we need are the basics. Food, shelter and clothing. The rest are wants.

( well ok, I NEED my X-Box and PS2. And I NEED Halo2 to finally be released. )

Some people ( surely not anyone here ) have severe problems with addictions. Drugs, alcohol and even video game time. There are people who play some games endlessly to obtain rare or valuable game items and they either lack the skill, or there are so many they just can't get them all. It is these people who are being preyed on by people who sell the items. It's a little different to sell action figures. I own a few Master Chiefs, but I am not going to empty my wallet to get the latest one. But I have sat on a site I enjoy playing flash games at trying to bid my earned points for rare items, and I have spent quite a lot of time doing it. It is not the same as spending my money on ebay for something, but it is obsessive behavior in it's own way.

I agree with Orpheus on this one. Bottom feeders prey on the weakness of others.

http://www.ige.com is a business that sells rare items and money from various MMORPG's. If people want to spend the money to get rare items or fast money I don't see a problem with it. It's no different then spending time, which ultimately equals money for a lot of people. Everyone who plays these games is already paying around $10 a month for virtual items and enjoyment from the game, why degrade those who decide to pay a bit more for their enjoyment? The downside to companies like http://www.ige.com, that I have heard, is that they have employees who stay in the areas that have enemies with high experience points or who give rare drops and in doing this rob the chance of normal users wanting to just play the game; who aren't thinking of making real world money.

I'm with Cofn and Smashingblue on this one. Pity the poor Everquest addict? No thanks. I can understand and sympathize with drug and alcohol dependency, but if you're throwing money away on a +43 Cloak of Sugary Goodness, you deserve mockery, not empathy. Nobody is "preying" on them. Something they want (NEED!) has been offered for purchase. How is that any different from posting in the "For Sale" thread? I can't sell my 30-year-old bottle of wine because the buyer might be an alcoholic? If I found a buyer for my hypothetical memory card with the perfect game save, I should not sell it, because they haven't spent the time or skill to achieve it on their own? I put in time and money to play/beat that game, why shouldn't I "earn" money for doing so? Or is it just because it's "virtual" that different capitalist rules should apply?

Personally, I pity the game designer who created such a crappy game that makes going to work and earning $50 for a fancy weapon more fun than getting it through gameplay.

But thats me, so maybe 'crappy' is harsh. I just don't get the point of games where you aren't enjoying yourself the whole time, which explains why I'd rather play Crazy Taxi than an RPG.