LCVG

Any vegetarians out there?

Guest Bryan

Guest Bryan

I would like to know if any of you are vegetarians. Everyone in my family is a practicing vegetarian and we have been forced to be very creative to survive in the southeastern U.S. What kinds of meals do you create? What grocery store products have you found?

I always like to hear about new meal options and would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

Guest Bryan
Originally posted by gigapower@Mar 4 2004, 10:10 AM

Out with the soy, in with the Beef.

Can some Mod help me with thread craps like this?

Oh wait... What does 'Owner' mean? ;)

Sincerely, I hope that someone shares the same concerns I have about the way animals are treated in our world today. I am not looking for a debate, just to share some non-meat food tips with others.

That picture is almost enough to make me give up meat... ;)

I'm far from a vegetarian, but I do limit my red meat intake and in recent years I've taken to having more veggie-only meals.

You do need to be careful as a vegetarian to get a full complement of protein because only certain combinations of vegetables will give you the proteins that are in meats.

Guest Bryan

I enjoy several products put out by GardenBurger. They have a flame grilled burger that is fantastic. Other products we like include:

wings

cutlet

bbq chik'n

We also make a smoothie every morning that includes fresh fruit, soy milk, OJ and Nature's Plus Vanilla Spirutein powder. It is loaded with isoflavones, all necessary vitamins/ proteins and tastes excellent. One (THE) major byproduct of our going vegetarian years ago is excellent health. <knocks on wood> No problems with cholesterol, weight, energy or immune system. I would highly recommend this lifestyle choice along with regular gym visits over crash diets and all the other related fads.

Jay, I look forward to some good recipes! Thanks in advance.

Bryan

I am distinctly not a vegetarian, but I have an extremely low red meat intake, that being said.

I loooove the Boca Chik'n Burgers, they are the most amazing things. Half the fat, no meat, and they taste exactly like actual chicken burgers! I seriously could not tell the difference.

I like the Boca Burger, but I agree that it has a meat-esque flavor rather than being a pure meat substitute.

As a vegitarian, I grill lots and lots of vegtables. Make sure you eat plenty of beans as well. If you are lactoovo eggs are good as well, as they provide all the essential amino acids. Beans have all of the essential acids, but because of the fiber their PDCAAS(don't ask) is only 78% so make sure you eat about 1.5 grams of protein for every kilogram you weigh. Other things to watch for are iron, zinc, and B12. Iron and zinc you can get from leafy green veggies, in which you need to eat a rather large amount of. B12 you can get from if lactoovo, or like I do, from Silk Soy Milk. If you want to know more about the nutrition side of it, just ask, as I am learning all of this stuff in my nutrition class. You just have to be a bit more careful, and plan a bit better. It can be tricky being a healthy vegitarian.

I also make a lot of bean soups for food. The internet is teaming with recipies, and whenever I have some time from school, I just pick a random one and make it. You find lots of cool stuff this way. Trader Joes also has lots of premaid stuff, and I really like their chickenless chicken nuggets, even though they tast nothing like chicken. My advice is not to look for stuff that tastes like meat, and instead find all new tastes, that way you won't be disapointed that the non meat stuff doesn't taste like meat.

If you are a big animal rights person, like myself, make sure you read labels, as a lot of food contains lard, gelitan, and whatnot.

Anyhow, I don't know how coherent this is, but good luck.

Clay

Alright, I am not quite sure how I managed to forget my favorite recipe in that mess, as it was what I posted for, and you asked for in the first place. What I do, is take a portabello mushroom cap, put in under the broiler for about 2 minutes on each side and put it on bread and eat it. It is one of the best things to eat. A friend of mine likes to put olive oil on them afterwards and some other seasonings, but I like mine plain. Really, really good.

Clay

-Well Bryan, I'm not a vegetarian, but those GardenBurger products look yummy! But then again I've been fooled by similar products before. I have yet to try one that hasn't disappointed in some way.

-That said, I'm willing to try new foods, so I will be looking to see if I can find GardenBurger foods in my area. I'd be more than happy if that Shazam burger turned out to be good!

Shazam!!!

FlameGrilled_r1_c6.gif

shazam.jpg

:green:

I'm completely unhelpful since I can't remember the brand, but there's a product that simulates cooked ground beef (it might have "Crumbles" in the name) that tastes great and makes really good chili/sloppy joes/etc.

I agree with Clay, if you buy the more vegetable-like products you won't be disappointed that they aren't meat. The Boca Chik'n patties really do taste like the real thing, though.

I was raised by hippies, so I associate vegetarian meals with depravation and hardship, not healthy eating.

Originally posted by adamsappel@Mar 5 2004, 04:01 PM

I was raised by hippies

Why does this sound like the opening line to a gag?

Cauldron Foods (sorry, no idea if they do stuff for the US market) make a really great mushroom burger, which I can't recommend highly enough. Quornburgers are pretty good too, and obviously a lot closer to a meat-taste.

Cauldron's sausage range a pretty killer, too.

Guest Bryan

Many of the fast food chains in the SC Lowcountry (Charleston) are starting to add veggie burger options to their menu. Not the healthiest way to eat, but it helps when you are in a hurry!

Sorry it took so long to reply, but here are some thoughts and some recipes.

First, make friends with immigrants! Your average Gujarati family will eat vegetarian three times a day, so it's worth finding out how they live with the diet. Find out how to make vegetarian samosas, raita and so on. Hit a Middle Eastern food truck and you can a falafel wrap (and baba ganoush and so on) to your repertoire. While you're at it, add gazpacho.

Second, be wary of wait staff. Many are unaware that anchovies go into caesar salad dressing or lard sometimes goes into refried beans.

Here's some quick recipes:

BRUSSEL SPROUTS

1 mess of brussel sprouts

1 Handful of shelled walnut pieces

Good blue cheese salad dressing

Cut the very bottom of the sprouts and then cut them in half. Heat a heavy skillet on medium high heat (a heavy skillet will retain and distribute heat better than a lighter one).

When it's hot, splash some extra virgin olive oil in the bottom and roll it around. Let it heat up, and then put the sprouts in, cut side down. Let them sit in there. Don't molest them, but give the skillet a shake once or twice.

When the sprouts have caramalized nicely (nicely brown on the bottom), throw in a handful of walnuts. Shake the pan once or twice. you're just toasting the walnuts.

Dump everything out into a serving bowl and drizzle it lightly with the blue cheese dressing. Toss to coat.

That's it. The bitterness of the walnuts and sprouts meld very nicely with the dressing. It's a great side dish and very easy to do.

MY DINNER FAVORITE SALAD

Shelled walnuts

Spring greens mix (make sure it includes arugula and watercress)

Romaine lettuce

Herbed chevre cheese

A pear or two

Tear the romaine into bite-size chunks and mix with the spring greens (about 50/50). Put it some in each salad bowl and, with a fork, break the chevre up and put some in each bowl on top. Toast the walnuts lightly in a skillet (or don't, your call). Throw some in each bowl.

Thinly slice the pear and fan it on top of each bowl. Drizzle vinaigrette on top and serve. For some reason, I prefer this salad after the meal, but YMMV.

MY VINAIGRETTE

I make it with my Braun mixstick, in the measuring cup that came with it. You can make it well before hand, but I usually make just enough for the night's salad.

Mix one part vinegar (I prefer good balsalmic or cider vinegar) to two parts good quality extra virgin olive oil. Put in a dab of dijon mustard (this acts as an emulsion agent and brings a little flavor to the party). Crack some black peper into it and throw in a pinch of salt. Mix until it comes together. Taste and adjust for vinegar.

You can experiment with ingredients. For a salad with Asian flavors, I'll add a dab of sesame oil, toasted sesame seeds, and use a lighter vinegar. If it's a regualr sald and I have leftover fresh parsley or basil, I'll throw that into the mix. Sometimes I'll use a little plain vanilla instead of mustard to give it some creaminess.

Do you want my whole wheat cold pasta salad recipe?

-j

Originally posted by Bryan@Mar 4 2004, 09:33 AM

I would like to know if any of you are vegetarians. Everyone in my family is a practicing vegetarian and we have been forced to be very creative to survive in the southeastern U.S. What kinds of meals do you create? What grocery store products have you found?

I always like to hear about new meal options and would appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

I'm not a hardcore vegitarian, but I suggest Veggie Burgers, veggy soup, salads and just mostly anything with greens.

I used to be a wrestler for my high school, and when I did eat, it was mostly veggies and hardly any meat.

I also recommend lots of pasta's.

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Mar 4 2004, 10:42 AM

Does anybody make a veggie burger that tastes like meat? Boca tastes like lots of artificial meat flavor.

Don't know about their burgers, but Boca Bratwurst and Polish Sausage are rather outstanding and taste just like their meat counterparts. They recommend lightly browning them in a skillet as opposed to microwaving, and I'd agree that this is the best way to have them

I'm also rather fond of the Morningstar Farms bacon and sausage substitutes. Both are so good, it's been years since I've used the real thing at home

POTATO-STUFFED MUSHROOMS

New Potatoes (little red ones)

Portabella mushroom caps

Chopped Garlic

Romano cheese

Red bell pepper

Yellow bell pepper

Milk

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper

Brush the mushroom caps with the olive oil and grill them until they're a little tender (but not too soft). If your caps have stems attached, remove them. You can chop up the stems, sautee them add them to the potato mixture later.

Quarter the new potatoes and put them in boiling, lightly-salted water until tender. Leave their skins on.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Thinly slice the peppers and sautee them in olive oil with some chopped garlic. Do it quickly, they should have a little crunch to them.

Drain the potatoes and coarsely mash them in a bowl with some chopped garlic, some milk, some fresh cracked black pepper and olive oil. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Add some more olive oil and/or milk if it isn't creamy or smooth to your liking.

Take the mushroom caps, and, gill-side up, pack some of the mashed potatoes onto each one. Then pack some of the peppers on top of each cap. Sprinkle grated Romano cheese onto each.

Put all the caps onto a cookie sheet and slide them in the oven for about 7 minutes. You're just bringing the temperature up for all the components.

Pull them out and cut them into pie wedges and serve. It makes a good side dish or appetizer. It works as an entree, too, but only if there are some other sides (IMHO).

-j

I forgot to add:

You might like to add some Romano to the potato mixture before you pack it into the caps. Also, Romano is my preference, but you might want to try others at some point. I don't think other cheeses like parm, cheddar and mozzarella will cut it, however.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think some blue-veined cheeses might taste very good.

-j