LCVG

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

I was intrigued to see an announcement for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 at IGN today. Given my adoration for the first game, I had to refrain from getting too excited due to the massive let down that was its sequel and cheap shoddy expansion packs the second game received.

Third time round we seem to be getting a serious 3D engine which has been in demand for some time. IGN reports the game isn't due until the Holiday season, so the few early shots they have are quite pleasing in that respect. I'd hate for it to be very Theme Park World like in its layout, in that you had some nicely animated 3D landscapes and rides, but not very extensive controls over the personal designs of the rides and scenery......etc. As much variation and control over the scenery/theming elements as we had in the original game is very important to me with the third outing. I like what I am seeing at this early stage with the visuals though I must admit as a lot of the detailed theming elements seem to be there (fences, lampposts, chairs, entrance and exit gates to rides?etc).

If Sawyer and the development team can essentially bring all those fantastic creative aspects of the original Rollercoaster Tycoon game into the 3D realm, plus fixing past criticisms, this could be sublime. From the look of couple of the released screenshots it seems we?ll be finally able to ride the rides, or at the very least the rollercoasters. No noticable signs in these early shots of being able to run coasters underground or through scenery yet. I hope that's posisble with the 3D engine.

IGN's article (click their media link for the screenshots):

http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496336p1.html

Hopefully there will be some more news prior to E3, and I certainly expect some major reports during E3 itself in May.

Daniel

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourite sites for news on theme park and ride developments, Screamscape, has some additional information on the third outing.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.html

"the CoasterCam feature that will allow you to finally ride your creations. RCT creator Chris Sawyer is working with Frontier Developments (UK) on the project. Other improvements will include all new park guest dynamics that will add more diversity as well as improved AI and ?group behavior.?

At the Official RCT site, the press release confirms the CoasterCam option and Atari quotes regarding the improved AI...etc.

It does seem that Chris Sawyer is fully involved. Let's hope that for any future expansion packs the third game has, he gets a hand in those too. I do believe he has stated his dislike for the Atari made expansion packs the second game received. There is apparently a definite desire from Sawyer to keep it realistic.

I've done some more digging, and it seems that Atari have apparently been running a survey with select members of their forum. Everything disclosed there is under NDA, but some things have leaked out. The most notable is word of a comprehensive guest editing system. The survey already noted possible expansion packs too, asking those taking part to pick which ones the liked the sound of most (the best of the six offered seemed to be one involding animals, and another that was Worlds Fair themed). It also noted possibility of online play.

Daniel

Originally posted by Thrillho@Mar 4 2004, 09:46 AM

I love the roller coaster tycoon games, this is really good news. As much as i try to play this game seriously, the little devil inside me still loves to send an occassional coaster flying off the tracks and accross the park. "you've killed 17 guests" :D

17?

Amateur. ;)

Never played the first ones, though the fact that they can be picked up for cheap makes me want to check them out ;). Cheap games are the meat and drink of the PC gaming world you know.

There should be a plug for SimGolf here too, so I am advising you all to buy it :P.

The first one and the add on packs are great. The sequel was good too, though sadly missed a few much loved attractions in the original game. The sequel's expansion packs are rushed cash-ins that lacked the assistance from Chris Sawyer, so are perhaps best avoided.

I'm wondering if Sawyer will finally bow to demand and add a bonus after completing the third game allowing gamers to build mega parks with immediate access to all the money they could ever want, all the scenery and all the rides.

The previous games have had to be hacked with trainers to allow gamers to do this, but it's allowed for some stunningly detailed creations, and indeed re-creations (lots of people made some amazing replicas of real theme parks). RCT2 had a sandbox mode, which was almost like this, but still restricted you in having access to so many things.

A legitimate feature to create such parks would be very welcome, as would custom soundtracks. The original game had a secret txt file note telling you how to master mp3s and use them within the game, but it was limited in how many you could add sadly. As a nerd with an extensive library of theme park music and sound effects (notably Disney stuff), it's a full feature I'd really love. I'm hoping for a lot of flat rides too, not just coasters. Extensive theming samples in the game as I say, are a must. It's in the theming you can really loose yourself.

Given you can now ride the coasters, it will be fun for people to swap parks online and ride each others creations. I'm wondering if the game will extend to offering the option of walking around parks in first person.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Gamespy have a nice two page preview here including a batch of really great new screenshots. There is still no sign as to whether the 3D engine will allow users to build coasters through buildings and underground. :?

Some terrific aspects about the first person views come to light in the article. The first is that you can adopt an on track first person view while building the coaster track itself. The second is, when riding the ride, you can actually turn your head side to side, up and down, to take in the scenery around you.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

I came across twenty-one STUNNING new screenshots revealing more rides, more coaster types, more scenery.... more everything...... and YES, as some of the shots show, you can build indeed run coasters through buildings! I absolutely love the level of detail in the Wild West themed area depicted in shot 4.

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/html/news/images_3173.htm

Daniel

Originally posted by Daniel Brecher@Mar 4 2004, 09:51 PM

As a nerd with an extensive library of theme park music and sound effects (notably Disney stuff), it's a full feature I'd really love.

Oh Dear God No.

I'm just glad I've never pissed you off enough to be subjected to "Its A Small World After All" again...

Oh Dear God No.

Oh come now, I've got sound effects and dialogue loop reels from The Indiana Jones Adventure somewhere! Brilliance! :D

I'm just glad I've never pissed you off enough to be subjected to "Its A Small World After All" again...

I'll grant you there was something wrong about five grown men stepping off of their own boat on It's a Small World ( :green: ), but I am still fond of the ride. It's about to undergo an extensive rehab too ?in Orlando at least-, although whether it?ll be turned into the Simpsons Duff Beer incarnation I am unsure. :) On the subject of Disney rides, Small World was always one of the easiest to recreate on Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Online a lot of people dedicated good time to building the most accurate replications they could of existing parks, and some of them were really quite excellent (I found a stunning Islands of Adventure park once), but the Disney ones were always tough ultimately due to elements like the castles, the Spaceship Earth ?golf ball? building at Epcot and so on.. I always wished Universal and Disney would allow the developers to do add on packs with official replica rides and scenery to drop in.......etc.

Daniel

Oh, Indy Jones Adventure stuff is all good (nay, great) - its just why someone would willingly own the "Its a Small World" jingle that scared me :)

Building your own parks, or replicating real ones is what I'd buy the game for if I get it, and stuff trying to achieve something 'profitable' according to game logic. But then I was never any good at Sim City either.

Which reminds me - I must get that Coaster game for the DC back off you sometime, now I know why it wasn't working before ;)

I found a short video available from Tycoon Planet. The game is really amazing in motion. Trees sway, peeps walk, run.. there is a great shot of the wild west stunt show in action, and you can clearly see the stunt guy falling out of a window there.....etc. All the animated interactive theming is just great.

http://files.tycoonplanet.com/TPDLfiles/rc...rcoastertc3.wmv

Something else just struck me too. There is a shot moving across a lake where you can see a swing ship on the other side and a big dual snake archway in front of it. That's not what interests me as much (though I love the water effect). What interests me is the skyline...... It's dusk! Will RCT3 FINALLY allow the game to progress into the evening and at night? A night mode has been one of the most requested options in Rollercoaster Tycoon since day one!

I really hope heaps of information comes to light at E3. We?ve yet to see any water rides yet in the available screenshots. Log Flumes and rapid rides would be fantastic in 3D.

We seemed to have missed noting IGNs two page preview a month ago which can be found here It details aspects like younger kids, as in reality, will be turned away on rides they're too small to go on. The article also details the eas of altering terrain and adding water....etc. The most exciting bit of information for mega park builders like me who can take a week just designing and theming one single ride?

"Finally, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 will come with a fully functional sandbox mode that players won't have to create themselves. While there will be plenty of scenarios (six of which will be unlocked right off the bat), the sandbox mode will be available for those just looking to build a park without time or money constraints. That kind of freedom is something that fans of the series have wanted for quite a while."

If this game turns out to be bad, I WILL have to wound someone at Frontier/Atari. It's already looking and sounding exceptional, and it's not even due until Christmas so goodness knows how much more it will progress between now and then. IGN have some really nice design sketches in their media page where you can see some of the directions they are going in peep and staff designs.....etc The 'stars' series of sketches are especially intriguing.

Daniel

PS: System requirements are as follows:

Processor: Pentium? III 733 MHz Processor

RAM: 128 MB RAM

Hard Drive: 250 MB hard drive space

Video Card: 32MB video card (Such as nVidia GeForce2 or any ATI Radeon card)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another IGN Preview here that details, amongst other things, a tool in the game that lets you create your own fireworks displays, and it sounds like you can make them go off in time to music.

If you look in the media section, there are lots of new images added on the 29th, including ones of firework displays, and there are images I've missed too that were added back on the 1st of July.

Dan

Fellow nerds, there are even more wonderful pictures here. I am absolutely in love with the way things are shaping up. These pictures pretty much focus on the inhabitants. We finally have some great images of cleaners, security guards and mechanics. There are also some shots of V.I.P characters (fictional celebrities with more demanding tastes who visit the park)....

Here are some of my favourites from the link:

rollert3_17.jpg

rollert3_25.jpg

rollert3_23.jpg

rollert3_16.jpg

This one is probably my favourite. The lighting, the amount of people in line here, it is really quite lovely I think:

rollert3_22.jpg

Dan

What's that you say? More? Why yes!

These are grabs from a recent short video clip that hit the net which the good folks at Trackworx have been hosting. Go check them all out, but I want to specifically highlight a few myself:

RCT3V317.jpg

A submarine ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can just make out the ride track under water, and the sub with its periscope. Genius! Notice how park guests can ride jet skis on the same lake a ride seems based in. This seems to be the same in the next image...

RCT3V35.jpg

This looks remarkably like one of the guest boats you ride in on one of the water rides (like those you sist in on the Jurassic Park ride at universal). I can not tell if they are jet ski riders in the distance again (it may be themeing), but it is certainly another example of more than one thing seamlessly sharing the same water space, no?

RCT3V39.jpg

First shot I have seen of a monorail in RCT3. Notice the Shark jumping out of the water on the left here.

RCT3V32.jpg

Look in the background here. A stunt show? It looks an awful lot like Catastrophe Canyon at MGM Studios in Florida right down to the exploding oil tanker and water tower.

RCT3V322.jpg

First image I have seen of the Go-Karts in RCT3. Note the ride attendant at the entrance gate kiosk.

:tu:

Dan

http://www.atari.com/rollercoastertycoon/u...ex.php?video=on

See it all in motion folks! Go to the Videos section and view (notably) vtrailers 2 and 3. That shark from the picture above? It's animatronic, it leaps up out of the water then back in again. The Go Karts? You can ride those first person like you can the coasters... It is really great in motion, with everything moving so smoothly.

The News page on the main site also details the fireworks creation, and confirms that you are free to import MP3s and other sound file types and attatch them to any ride in the game, which is fantastic news and something I was really hoping for. Now we just need official themeing expanasion packs from real parks and I'm truly delerious with joy. :)

Dan