LCVG

Dumb VCR Question

Mark E

How difficult is it to get something converted from VCR to DVD and what's the quality like, generally speaking?

I'm something of a collector of Clue games (in addition to that whole board game collecting thing) and I'm looking to pick up the two VCR games. But VCR is a pretty poor medium, as we know, so I'd like to get the tapes transferred to a more reasonable and lasting format.

Anybody know how/where this could be done, how much it would cost, etc? I'm at a bit of a loss for this sort of thing as I've never really had much call to do it before.

There are places out there that transfer VHS to DVD. You could also do it with your computer if you have a Graphic card with capture ability and a dvd burner. Ive done it before and its very easy. Quality is as good as the VHS tape can be. nothing more, nothing less

capt

Well, if you've not got any of the relevant equipment, the simplest would be to get your local photographic shop to convert it for you. But they often won't touch copyrighted material, so you may well have to resort to doing it yourself.

You'll need the following things:

1) A card with TV In - if you've already got a decent graphics card then I'd recommend going for a Hauppauge PVR250 or PVR350. These both do hardware Mpeg2 encoding on the fly, which makes life a lot simpler than if you've got to convert from AVI to Mpeg2. The 350 gets you a TV Out and hardware decoding as well, if you're wondering.

2) A DVD writer. Obviously, without one you can't write DVDs. You could probably just go for a CD Writer if you've already got one, and make an SVCD or even VCD instead, though - the VHS means that the extra picture quality won't exist for you anyway. Nero 6 has all sorts of useful stuff for making DVD Video discs, but there are cheaper alternatives.

3) A good read of DVDRHelp.com. Where they discuss all sorts of things to do with making copies of copyrighted things, which we don't allow. Because you'll probably find that the VHS tapes have macrovision, and we won't be telling you how to get around that here, sorry.

D'oh, of course, my bad Iain, I totally didn't realize that the material would be considered copyrighted, though I imagine the copyright on those materials is long dead and buried.

Anyway, nobody need give me the skinny on the illegal bits, that wasn't my intent at all. I completely forgot that even attempting to go from VCR to DVD would violate copyright. Since it wasn't a movie, per se, I didn't clue in to it (pun intended).

Originally posted by Orpheus@Mar 5 2004, 09:58 AM

though I imagine the copyright on those materials is long dead and buried.

Not Likely. Copyrights last for a ridiculously long time, on the order of life of creater(s) plus 70 years. It's sad as less material is entering public domain.

Yeah, I can't wait until I can see Mickey and Minnie Mouse going at it, hardcore style. :P

Seriously, copyrights last way too long. I'm happy to avoid chain restaurants just so I won't have to endure the inevitable fake birthday song the staff sings since they won't pay for "Happy Birthday to You." In the case of a greater corporate concern like Disney I can somewhat understand it, but when a copyright is held by a distant relative (or worse was merely once purchased by a company), I hate the constant extension of ownership.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I have no desire to infringe on the Clue trademark, but those VCR games haven't been popular since the 80's and I'm only trying to preserve the longevity of a game that won't work without the other materials anyway.

That'd be my rationale to the Parker Bros. lawyers at any rate :green: