LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Chris F

ATI Catalyst Drivers

ATI Catalyst Version 5.2 is now out. You can download the driver in it's various packages here:

Catalyst Driver V. 5.2

A list of changes:

Fixed in this driver:

4x4 Evolution2: Attempting to play the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON? X300/X600 series installed no longer results in the operating system failing to respond when the screen is set to 1600x1200 32bpp and OpenGL Renderer is enabled

4x4 Evolution 2: Display corruption is no longer noticed when having the display set to 1600x1200 32bpp along with the texture detail set to high and split screen rendering enabled

Serious Sam: Playing the game under Windows XP results in the display flashing when TRUFORM is enabled

Sims 2: Playing the game Veronaville under Windows XP while having the desktop set to 1024x768 32bpp along with AA set to 6X no longer results in corruption being noticed in the fields

Selecting the option; Enable Video Mode, results in the CATALYST? CONTROL CENTER not being able to return to the default setting for the Enable Video Mode option

Switching language support for the CATALYST? CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the slider bar for the engine clock being enabled when the option found in OVERDRIVE? is locked

Navigating to View->Define a Custom View and deselecting all options found in the 3D option of the Edit Custom View tab, no longer results in the Standard Settings option remaining selected

Intermittent failure of the VPU Recover report not being sent is now resolved

Double-clicking the slider bar found in CATALYST? A.I. no longer results in the Disable CATALYST? A.I. option becoming de-selected

Disabling 3D preview no longer results in the preview continuing to run on a secondary display device

Having the 3D preview running on the secondary display adapter and attempting change display modes, no longer results in the primary display device displaying a black screen and error messages appearing

English is no longer the default language when installing the CATALYST? CONTROL CENTER under Windows XP Japanese version

The CATALYST? CONTROL CENTER Version number is now displayed correctly in all localized languages

The Display Manager Notification dialog box is now displayed in the correct localized language

The OpenGL driver is no longer disabled after boot up when both AGP Read and PCI Read are disabled

What's the story with the Catalyst drivers? I understand that ATI makes a point in continuously updating them, but should I continuously update them? Are some considered less critical than others?

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot to scan the thread for the answer before posting. Carry on.

-j

Catalyst 5.3's are available gents. You can download them here .

Open GL 2.0 support has been added. Though there are still some Half-Life, FarCry and Knights of the Old Republic issues that you'll want to check out in the release notes before installing.

I noticed ATI is recommending service pack 2 before installing the newer drivers. I'm running two versions back (early January drivers). Anybody know if you really need SP2 or is it just B.S.?

The 5.5's have been available for some time but I had not remembered to update this thread. Regardless, ATI will be releasing the 5.6's very soon and they will come with a serious boost in performance for some particular games. Here is the report:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23594

ATI will soon introduce its Catalyst 5.6 driver and we have the feeling that this might happen on the seventh of June, we might be wrong about the date, it's not yet specific but you never know.

Once you install this new driver you should see around ten per cent plus performance increase in 3Dmark05, Aquamark 3 and Halo and Tomb Raider: AOD games and benchmarks. ATI did this by using some Z optimisations, removing unseen pixels before running through the pixel shaders. I guess that this is an allowed method and Halo might be running even fifteen per cent faster.

The Chronicles of Riddick will work up to fifteen per cent faster than with the old Catalyst 5.5 drivers and ATI did more efficient storage of vertex data and gained some performance that way too.

Doom 3 will work almost twenty per cent faster than with Catalyst 5.5 as ATI made more efficient use of memory.

Even games such as Call of Duty will benefit from this new driver as the driver team managed to increase the game efficiency resulting in close to ten per cent faster performance.

The game that will benefit the most is Lock on: Modern Air combat where you will be able to see an incredible fifty per cent performance increase just by installing a new 5.6 Catalyst driver.

ATI catalyst AI enables texture compression of the clouds resulting with no visual impact and massive performance impact at the same time. Sounds good to us if it works like described. We know that Nvidia test team will definitely try to find any image quality flaws and problems and scream to the rest of the world if it found any difference. We would do it too so let's hope that all is correct here.

The new Catalyst comes in just a few days, it's free and I recommend you get it, if you have an ATI card, and enjoy it.

Thanks for the update. I've been lagging on updating my Catalyst drivers because the fixes they introduced in the last few updates weren't really applicable to me, but this seems like a sizeable improvement. Once again, thanks for the heads-up :)

I've been using the 5.5 drivers since they came out. Just hooked my PC up to my 34" Sony Wega today and the ATi drivers have a couple optimized resolutions for 720p and 1080i. :tu Fixes cropping issues found in non custom resolutions. Looks great. I'm interested to know if they plan on anymore HDTV features. I'm really diggin playin games like Half-Life 2 and Riddick in 16:9 mode with surround sound. :)

Do those catalyst drivers work for all ATI Radeon cards? I have an old 9000. Currently I'm using the Omega drivers and, they work great. Only reason I was able to play Half Life2.

The game that will benefit the most is Lock on: Modern Air combat where you will be able to see an incredible fifty per cent performance increase just by installing a new 5.6 Catalyst driver.

Sweet. Just picked this up over the weekend.

A question since it's been a while since I've had a decent pc. I'm assuming I should unisntall the old drivers before upgrading to the new?

Yeah that's a good idea because it prevents all kinds of weird problems. There's an ATI utility called Catalyst Uninstaller that lets you do this. It's somewhere in the downloads on ATI's website.

A question since it's been a while since I've had a decent pc. I'm assuming I should unisntall the old drivers before upgrading to the new?

Yep.

Trav, I recommend you do the following:

1. Download the latest drivers when they are released

2. Uninstall the ATI Control Panel (In Add/Remove programs)

3. Uninstall the ATI Display Drivers (In Add/Remove programs)

4. Download and install the latest (free) version of Driver Cleaner here .

5. Restart the computer in safe mode

6. Run Driver Cleaner and remove any ATI related files

7. Reboot the computer once more

8. Install the new drivers.

9. Restart after the control panel and display driver has installed

10. New driver is installed, make any settings changes you wish

You're done! I've found this sequence gets me the cleanest installation of ATI's new drivers without any kind of performance or corruption issues.

Romier there's a much simpler way because ATI has a specific tool that does exactly all these things you mentioned. It uninstalls the display drivers and the control panel and reboots the PC so you can install new drivers. Here's the link:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

It's the Catalyst uninstaller. Needs a little digging to find it initially, but its very useful.

I've never bothered uninstalling ATi drivers before installing new ones and I've never experienced any wierd graphics issues. Am I missing something? Now I'm wondering if I uninstall and install if I'll see any benefit in any games. Although I cant think of any game that I have any issues with...

I know about the uninstaller, but I still prefer the Driver Cleaner method. You need to use the Uninstaller in conjunction with the ATI Software Uninstaller to get everything off of the system (MMC, WMD, etc) and I've read several reports of it still leaving certain files on the system (especially if you're using tweaked drivers as I have in the past). Booting into safe mode and using Driver Cleaner gaurentees I'll get the cleanest install of the drivers possible in my experience. Of course, you're free to use whatever method you prefer, I'm simply relaying what's worked best for me in the past and has gaurenteed me the best performance on my system.

Am I missing something?

Generally you need not worry much about having issues installing one driver on top of another. There are however many instances in which doing so will cause loss of performance, graphics issues, game crashes, and certain funtions of the driver not operating properly (head on over to Rage3d.com for some nice horror stories). If you've never experienced them, that's cool. I just like to be extra cautious when installing a new drivers on my system.

I've never bothered uninstalling ATi drivers before installing new ones and I've never experienced any wierd graphics issues. Am I missing something? Now I'm wondering if I uninstall and install if I'll see any benefit in any games. Although I cant think of any game that I have any issues with...

Most of the issues usually arise when you're switching from an ATI to NVIDIA card or vice versa, but these instances crop up where installing a driver over another driver can cause problems, so it's better safe than sorry.

Romier there's a much simpler way because ATI has a specific tool that does exactly all these things you mentioned. It uninstalls the display drivers and the control panel and reboots the PC so you can install new drivers. Here's the link:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

It's the Catalyst uninstaller. Needs a little digging to find it initially' date=' but its very useful.[/quote']

All-In-Wonder users should keep in mind that this is a "remove-all-ATI-software" utility. I had to do a system restore because the utility will happily remove your MMC, your remote software, everything.

-j

For those unaware, ATI made the 5.9 drivers available recently. You can download them here:

The interesting thing is that these drivers already have ATI's implementation of adaptive anti-aliasing. If you are not sure what that is you can reference this thread:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7296

Here are the instructions on how to enable it:

Here are the steps:

Set ASTT_NA to 0 in the registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{5A61609A-036A-4D32-B447-F0E42DA9714D}\0000

5A61609A-036A-4D32-B447-F0E42DA9714D this number is different for every one , you may have multiple numbers at the location because of multiple driver installation but only one is active. To be sure just change the value in every one. This enables the option in the CCC tray icon

Next create the key ASTT as string(REG_SZ) and set it to 1(REG_BINARY works too) to enable adaptive AA.

Enjoy!

Sonuva...

I finally upgraded my ancient drivers last week for Far Cry (PC). Of course new drivers were on their way out. This is similar to the it will rain because Jay washed his car effect.