LCVG

Will I finally get a good 40K game on the PC?

Whooter

The screens look good, but, like you, I'm not holding my breath.

According to THQ the game will feature an improved resource model that "focuses action on the frontline and minimizes the tedium of resource gathering."

Resource model? WTF? Jiminy Christmas, why couldn't they just make a PC version of the 40K?!

I mean, it isn't as if they're taking a movie and trying to figure out how to turn it into a game. It is a game. GW has done the hard work and figured everything out. It's done. Well, except for the annual "This quarter is looking bad, let's change the rules and introduce a new race."

Same thing with Necromunda. It's so straight-forward, they could easily make a PC game (or even an online console game; I don't think there are any inherent interface problems).

Why do I have the suspicion that GW's approach to licensing is to wait for someone -- anyone -- to back up a truck of cash to their offices?

-j

I took that statement as referring to the resource gathering you do in other RTSes. According to the FAQ on Relic's site, most of the dev team has played (or is playing) the tabletop game.

The switch from turn-based to realtime is kind of disappointing, but I can probably put up with it if the rest of the game is as faithful as possible...

I like that I'll be able to recreate my Blood Angels army in the multiplayer portion of the game...

Originally posted by Whooter@Mar 15 2004, 06:26 PM

I took that statement as referring to the resource gathering you do in other RTSes.

So did I. My comment was directed to my feeling/complaint that many previous 40K licenses felt the need to reinvent the wheel.

Still, it seems to me that 40K is a fun game that a lot of people don't play because of lack of opponents, time, desire to paint, or desire to go to a shop to buy figurines where they might run into people like us. ;) So why not simply translate the game to the computer? Why reinvent the wheel?

-j

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Mar 15 2004, 05:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Mar 15 2004, 05:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Whooter@Mar 15 2004, 06:26 PM

I took that statement as referring to the resource gathering you do in other RTSes.

So did I. My comment was directed to my feeling/complaint that many previous 40K licenses felt the need to reinvent the wheel.

Still, it seems to me that 40K is a fun game that a lot of people don't play because of lack of opponents, time, desire to paint, or desire to go to a shop to buy figurines where they might run into people like us. ;) So why not simply translate the game to the computer? Why reinvent the wheel?

-j [/b]

Ah...I see what you're getting at, now.

Yeah, I don't know what the reason may be, unless GW would be afraid that if someone made a computer version of the game that faithfully reproduced the tabletop game experience, that people would stop buying the tabletop games and miniatures, etc... Lord knows, Games Workshop has never been shy about letting people know that the $ comes first... :bang:

Maybe we should consider a field trip for those of us 40Kers (I believe Travis is one as well) to Games Day or GenCon sometime...

Originally posted by Whooter@Mar 15 2004, 06:51 PM

Maybe we should consider a field trip for those of us 40Kers (I believe Travis is one as well) to Games Day or GenCon sometime...

I think Smitty (gorkamork on Live) has a Blood Angels army and Anthony has a Pansy army, but I dunno if they still play. I have two armies, which I keep in my sleevies.

-j

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Mar 15 2004, 06:40 PM

Still, it seems to me that 40K is a fun game that a lot of people don't play because of lack of opponents, time, desire to paint, or desire to go to a shop to buy figurines

Which explains why my 5,000 point Eldar army has been sitting in a box in our basement and will most likely end up on eBay before the year's over.

I've only played the beta for about 10 mins, but so far it seems pretty much like WC3 with WH40K skins. No resource gathering as near as I can tell, but pretty much the same old build buildings/build troops/capture points/shoot stuff. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course. I enjoy seeing my Blood Angels in motion and snuffing out those hoity-toity Eldar... ;)

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the demo last night but didn't get the chance to do anything with it. I did see the opening sequence, which was actually a bit more gory than I expected. I hope they capture the feel in-game as well.

Anyone else try it yet? Do you think this will end up in the bargain bins before too long? (Not trying to be pessimistic or making a judgment, but I don't have the time or money to buy everything I have interest in :))

I've played through the tutorial once now and achieved an area victory (or whatever they call it). Overall, I liked it.

I don't have any history with WarHammer 40K so I didn't have any preconceived notions of how things should work. While not strictly a resource-style RTS, it still pretty much is. There are a couple different types of spots on the map that you occupy to give yourself two types of resources. Different buildings can be built to produce different units, which can also be upgraded through research.

Things I liked:

- The units are fairly different looking, at least to me

- The paint editor that is included seems to also be a nice addition, increasing the distinct look of the units

- When you build a unit, it's kind of like Rise of Nations - the unit is displayed using multiple individuals

- Units can be reinforced. They start with 4 members but depending on your research that can be increased before, during, or after battles

- There are also different upgrades you can give your units. One squad of marines could be outfitted with plasma cannons while another gets missile launchers, or some combination of upgrades

Things I didn't like:

- The pathfinding is somewhat questionable. My smaller armies didn't really have problems but the vehicles did. I'm thinking that it is very important to carefully lay out your buildings because I think the two vehicles I built could not get out of my base area due to limited space between buildings. I'll have to look into that more.

I'll write more as I get to play more.