LCVG
Romier S

HBO's Deadwood

Yep, read this a few days ago (I thought it was mentioned in a thread here for some reason). Unfortunate, and made even worse by the reasons behind the cancellation of the show (i.e. Rome's budget). After the Sopranos and the third season of Deadwood ends, I see no reason to bother with an HBO subscription anymore.

This news makes me so sad :( And based on the posts Odie linked to, it's hard to see the logic behind it. It's just plain sad.

Well this fucking sucks. Last week I finished re-watching season 1, and have just started on season 2. I can't beleive they are canning their 2nd best show. HBO gets the fucktard of the year award.

What's next on the chopping block, Entourage? :furious

Is it any wonder? Not only are the boxed sets expensive, but Season 2 is released in the last week of May -- not enough time for a new fan with normal viewing habits to get caught up.

WOOOOOOOOO :lock :rock :milk :spaz :happy

Deadwood will get a finale. HBO and David Milch have agreed to two 2 hour specials to finish up the show. From Variety

After a month-long struggle, HBO and "Deadwood" creator-exec producer David Milch have agreed to produce a pair of two-hour specials that will serve as the show's series finale reports Variety.

HBO will have to renegotiate new deals - now for a pair of two-hours as opposed to a full season - with all of the players in the grisly Western. Although no one is locked into continuing with "Deadwood", an HBO rep said the network was confident in reaching all the deals necessary to proceed with the show in its new incarnation.

A shortened season was problematic for Milch because each episode in the first three seasons of "Deadwood" represented a single day, and he could not see how to wrap up the stories in just six days. By instead producing a pair of special event presentations, Milch will be able to write the finale using a different format and space of time.

No decisions had been made about a production start date or a premiere date, but HBO says the series and its fans would get closure. Now if only they'd do something similar for all of us "Carnivale" devotees out there as well.

Deadwood will get a finale. HBO and David Milch have agreed to two 2 hour specials to finish up the show.

That is damn good to hear :) If they can pull off a couple of great movie-like two hour specials, I may be satisfied.

/thread resurrection

So I started rewatching Deadwood now that I finally was able to get the Complete Series on Blu-Ray for $85 bucks. It's almost like it never left my television. Experiencing the hilarity and depravity that constitutes a character like Al Swearengen, the twat that is E.B. Farnum and even the stoic nobility of Bullock. Has there been a television show that featured so many characters that were this damned strong? Seemingly every person that ever walked onto the screen was fucking amazingly written. Experiencing Season 1 again (about 6 episodes in) has been a goddamned treat, cocksuckers.

Christ, I'm reminded of the golden age of HBO that we had only a few years ago watching this again. Shows like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Carnivale, The Wire, John From Cincinnati, Rome (S2 especially) etc. If it hadn't been for Carnivale, Deadwood would very nearly top my list of all of the amazing shows HBO pumped out.

It's too bad the proposed two hour movies that were supposed to close the series out never happened.

• Epic Post 1

/thread resurrection

So I started rewatching Deadwood now that I finally was able to get the Complete Series on Blu-Ray for $85 bucks. It's almost like it never left my television. Experiencing the hilarity and depravity that constitutes a character like Al Swearengen, the twat that is E.B. Farnum and even the stoic nobility of Bullock.

I've been watching a little here and there, although I want to do a proper re-watch one day. But, yeah, what a great show!

I was talking about the show with friends a couple weeks ago and we were lamenting that we just don't see Ian McShane in everything -- or much of anything at all. Why is a guy like Sam Worthington (with a range of A to B ) put in every movie and Ian McShane gets Death Race, aborted Kings, and 5 minutes in Kung Fu Panda?!

Thing about Bullock is I wouldn't describe him as having stoic nobility. He's a madman. I don't think he's very stoic -- his next eruption usually seems imminent -- and noble? Maybe. He certainly wants to be a better man, but I'm not sure that makes him noble. Especially when his otherwise-noble moments seem to be in the service of giving in to his passions; whether that means banging Widow Garrett and her hairy armpits or beating someone to a jelly (yet again).

Especially when his otherwise-noble moments seem to be in the service of giving in to his passions

I disagree in so far as the early part of the series is concerned. That's when his stoicism was a way of hiding the ever present eruption of emotion that was waiting to break out. As the series opens he's a man of the law in a lawless town and despite his assurances that he just wants to run a hardware store, he's continually faced with situations that he could easily walk away from but doesn't (the family being massacred, avenging Wild Bill's murder, etc.). I think there is a certain nobility in that. More so in how he handles the capture of McCall after the "epiphany" he experiences after fighting the Indian in the forest.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking of Bullock early on in Season 1 and not the character he becomes as the series progresses.

Robin Weigert's Calamity Jane is one of the finest characters ever to grace television. And I will say "ever" once more. Ever. I also loved Steve's rabid and histrionic racist diatribes.

And everything else.

• Like 1

I've been watching this too, thanks to Amazon's sale. I just finished season 1 last night. I love every single character on this show, even the ones I hate. :)

99% of the characters all tend towards the grey side of morality, that's why watching the one truly good character on the show in the reverend suffer the way he does is truly heartbreaking stuff.

God I love this show.

that's why watching the one truly good character on the show in the reverend suffer the way he does is truly heartbreaking stuff.

It really is.

I just got done watching the episode where Al breaks down a bit watching the Reverend wave to him with only half of his body functioning. Not to take anything away from the actor playing the Reverend, but McShane is fucking killer in that scene. Just the expression on his face and the amount of acting he does with his eyes alone. The finale of that episode with Al's soliloquy while the whore is blowing him is absolutely incredible to watch.

On a lighter note....

Dan: "How'd it go with Johnny?"

AL: "I have just fled my own office in HORROR at his fucking dimwittedness"

Another favorite:

Johnny: (Coming down the stairs) Hey, Al. Any reason I can’t share with Dan the uh, proceedings of the talk me and you just had about me uh, takin’ over for Persimmon Phil?

Al: Yeah, keep Dan in the dark.

LOL.

Surreal to think this is almost upon us. I wonder if HBO/Warner will do an Ultra HD release of the series and the movie together. That'd be nice (particularly since I don't have the means to see the movie broadcast). 

David Milch and company crafted a damned masterpiece. Thirteen agonizing years waiting for these characters to come alive again and to get a real sense of closure to their stories and despite all of the expectations, it utterly succeeds at every level. It’s impeccably written, incredibly acted and is the swan song the show deserved years ago. I’ve got so many emotions running through me after that screen went black and not a damned one of them is anything but sheer joy to revisit Deadwood one last time.

I fucking loved every last minute. Bravo and welcome to fuckin’ Deadwood!

• Like 2

Don’t have the means to see it broadcast so waiting for iTunes, or ideally Blu-ray (or better yet imagine if they went and gave us the whole series and film as a UHD box set!).

• Like 1