Estimate your typing speed....  

1. 1. Estimate your typing speed....

• I hunt and peck (below 10)
    • 10-25 w.p.m.
    • 26-40 w.p.m.
    • 41-55 w.p.m.
    • 56-70 w.p.m.
    • 71+ w.p.m.

According to this TEST, I'm at 43 WPM (net speed), but I make a lot of mistakes and have to constantly go for the backspace key. I can go a little faster if I look at the keyboard.

I took the test like I really type. If I know I've made an error, I go back and correct it immediately. This test will only let you go back in the current word. Once you hit the spacebar, the error is counted.

Carlos.

72 WPM, 96% accuracy. I don't like the format of that test; if you get off by a single word, everything you type afterwards gets screwed up very easily. Anyway, once I realized the "rules" of the test I got that score.

Funny story - once I applied for a job where you had to take a series of typing tests - the requirement was 20 WPM, but I got near 80 on my first go, so they told me I didn't have to take the rest of the tests. :P

I haven't done the linked test, but back doing Typing Tutor in my youthful days I could and did plug 89 wpm with 99-100% accuracy. The professor doing our typing course actually made me do it and watched so he could see I wasn't bs-ing him :P. That's with copied text from a screen, mind. I actually probably type slower doing things off the top of my head since I tend to be more thoughtful and try to consider what I'm writing.

My secret is having done a typing course in school before, plus years of practice on the old Sierra text adventures. Seriously, they make you a better typist or at least prepare you for learning the proper locations of all the letters. I can type 'get key' at a rate that would probably astound temporal physicists ;).

76 on Huck Finn (92% accurate), 88 on Strategic Alliances With Competitors (96% accurate). I've just been able to type fast for a while since I've been a computer geek all my life. Although I remember having to take a typing class when I was in High School, because it was a requirement, and getting around 98 wpm when I was in there.

I win...so far... 95 gross and 86 net

if i wasn't on a crappy laptop keyboard i'm sure i'd have done better, or at least been able to do the test more than once without sheer frustration that I was tryinig to type on a laptop keyboard. man these things sucks.

I played the piano as a kid and have always had ridiculous hand eye coordination and typing has always been natural for me. *scans for typos...send*

49 WPM, which i thought would be a lot worse.

The again I was using Huckleberry Finn as the example and it was full of horrible grammar. I spent more time doing doubletakes to make sure I was reading everything correctly.

OF CUOSE THAT IS WHWAT HAP[PENS WHEN YOU SLOW DWOJN AND TYR TO ACCOUNT FRO ALL YUOR MITSKSAES/ IF YUO TYPE RAEADL FAST TLIEKT HIS YOUCANSFGET MUCH HIGHER SCOERWS!!!!!111

My friend Carrie in North Carolina can type in excess of 120 WPM. It's the most frightening thing I have ever watched.

• 2 weeks later...

64 adjusted WPM, 92% accuracy. I was doing great up until the second to last sentence, when just as a poster noted above, as soon as I screwed up one word I went and screwed up the next four or five. Gak!

It's funny; just the other day I was thinking that of all the classes I took in high school, all the honors English and Lit courses, all of the physics and pre-calc and all that stuff, the one that has probably done me the most good in my day to day life was that stupid typing class that my guidance counselor cajoled me into taking as an elective. Now I feel kind of bad for framing her for that thing with the albino goat and the parachute. :oops: