LCVG

Online game longevity

foogledricks

There's a very very good chance that for many people they will have an online game that they wish to keep playing on a very regular basis, even after the new systems come out.

It's funny, you'd think that online capability would extend a game's life. In my experience, on XBlive, online focus limits a game's life. I couldn't even play Outlaw Volley Ball when I first bought it, because no one was online. I tried to play MM3 and Top Spin the other day, and had the same problem. RTCW was hot for a short while, then I sold it pretty quickly. Crimson Skies, same deal.

Xblive games seem to be most fun when their popular. I almost feel if you don't buy an XBlive game as soon as it comes out, you'll miss the fun boat. Anyone else feel this way? I haven't bought Splinter Cell 2, but hear it is really fun. By the time I get to it, most people won't be playing it anymore, and the people who are, will be experts at it making it not fun for me.

NOTE: I split this post from the Xbox Next Specs thread because it's not really related, but I think it's a good question and deserves it's own thread

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, especially if the game's strength is online. Midtown Madness 3 is the poster-child for this kind of game. Incredibly fun online, but really hardly worth the effort to play the single-player.

I really only played the game for a month before the online game started to fade due to other games getting the attention of my friends. I was never really into playing it with people I didn't know (although occasionally it would work out, usually there was some jerk just looking to fuck with everyone else).

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Apr 8 2004, 07:47 PM

Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, especially if the game's strength is online.

I agree with Keith's premise with Ed's caveat. I had similar experiences. I know a friend of mine enjoyed Magic: Battlegrounds, but traded it in because no one was online.

On the other hand, as Ed alluded to, an online component can really stretch a game's longevity when there's a solid single-player game present. Ghost Recon was like this for me as I kept going back to the single-player game to unlock goodies for online.

Rainbow Six is a bit of a curiosity. I got it on launch and continue to enjoy playing. Part of the reason for that is the co-op mode and LCVG. Once I exhausted any interest in the co-op mode (and I got lots of playing time out of it), I was able to move on to adverserial with our Fry-day Night gaming. Ubi seems to be doing a good job spacing out downloadable maps as well. They didn't come so soon that they blended with the levels present at launch, nor did they come too late.

I was never really into playing it with people I didn't know (although occasionally it would work out, usually there was some jerk just looking to fuck with everyone else).

You could've muted me.

-j

You could've muted me.

:lmfao:

No Jay, I don't mean the one guy who picks the Firetruck when everyone else agrees to Minis (which was hilarious)...I mean the guy who screams into the Mic what a bad-ass he is, and tries to drive into you head on just to mess up your game...

Originally posted by kfredericks@Apr 8 2004, 05:30 PM

Xblive games seem to be most fun when their popular. I almost feel if you don't buy an XBlive game as soon as it comes out, you'll miss the fun boat. Anyone else feel this way? I haven't bought Splinter Cell 2, but hear it is really fun. By the time I get to it, most people won't be playing it anymore, and the people who are, will be experts at it making it not fun for me.

I agree 100%. You got to get the game pretty quick it seems, just to keep up with the competition.

Originally posted by kfredericks@Apr 8 2004, 04:30 PM

Xblive games seem to be most fun when their popular. I almost feel if you don't buy an XBlive game as soon as it comes out, you'll miss the fun boat. Anyone else feel this way?

I do. I remember picking up Return to Castle Wolfenstein sometime last summer a month or two after it first came out. I bought it specifically because of its online support, and I was hoping that I could get some more use out of my Xbox Live account. I played through the entire single player game and after a couple more weeks I decided to try my hand at the multi-player.

Bad idea! Let's just say it didn't go well. By this point, the people who played it online were far better than this humble newbie. I realize that you can't win every time, but it certainly isn't any fun to get your ass kicked over and over. It's also no fun to play with a bunch of complete strangers who didn't want me on their team because I was more of a liability than an asset. Let's just say I got booted from a bunch of games. Since then, I haven't even bothered playing it online.

Splinter Cell has been more fun to play, but that probably has to do with the fact that my skills are at about the same level as everyone else who just bought it. Once I move away from it and start playing other games, I know I'll totally suck at it because I will not have learned all the tricks and skills that those who play it all the time have. That makes yet another multi-player game that isn't any fun.

If I have a choice, I would much rather play with a group of friends in the same room. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but the majority of my multi-player gaming is done on the GameCube, which caters to such an experience.

Xblive games seem to be most fun when their popular. I almost feel if you don't buy an XBlive game as soon as it comes out, you'll miss the fun boat. Anyone else feel this way?

There are definitely a lot of "flavour of the week" games for Xbox Live, and I think that's okay as there's a definite number with longterm lasting appeal & longterm player bases. Things like Ghost Recon Island Thunder & Rainbow Six get lots of players on them, and I think PGR2 will last as well. Much like the PC to be honest, though the player base is bigger on the PC obviously.

And never forget that when it comes to being unable to compete with the gaming community at large, LCVG can be your best resource. I was surprised to find the number of people who came out of the woodwork for our Fry-day nights in RS3.

Sadly, this is still subject to the "flavour of the month" problem Bairdy mentioned.

-j

If I have a choice, I would much rather play with a group of friends in the same room. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but the majority of my multi-player gaming is done on the GameCube, which caters to such an experience.

I don't necessarily need to be in the same room, but I vastly prefer to play games online with people I know. I guess most people here do, but once a game is no longer current, it's hard to get a group together to play it.

Obviously there are going to be flavor of the week type games... but it sounds like many of the games that are mentioned are ones that people bought because others were playing them and they wanted in. Those games almost never have the lasting appeal of something that you play because you love the game.

I prefer to play with people that I know, but I certianly don't limit myself to that. If I love a game, and want to play it, I will find someone to play with. Playing with people you know exclusively is nice, and does certainly keep down the asshat factor, but playing with new people can be good too. I've met more than a few decent people randomely online, a few of whom I've played with more than anyone here. Not to mention playing with the same people makes it harder to get better at a game. Playing with new people almost always leads to learning new strategies and tricks that you would have otherwise not known about.

And since my quote is the one up top, I will say that it wasn't really directed to the kind of gamers that we have here, who love to try everything good that's coming out. More to the type of people that are satisfied with playing only a few games, or maybe those who will play a new game for a while and then go back to one of their old favorites. The type of people who continue to play Counterstrike, Diablo 2 and Starcraft years after their release, and who will probably continue to play Halo 2, Splinter Cell: PT and MechAssault even after something new and "better" comes along.

There are a lot of flavor of the week games that have come out. Carve, Unreal 2 , MTX and so on, however all the games are fun. Im always up for a game of night of any of them. Then there are those games that lasted a long while like Mech Assault, Wolfenstein, R6, Ghost Recon, and now Splinter cell. The reason the those games lasted? they were good, but they also werent released around other big releases. When 5 live games come out in 2 weeks its kind of hard to stick to just one.

Jay mentioned Magic :Battlegrounds. I picked it up a few weeks ago as i always wanted to pick it up. . Ive only done half of the single player mode, but i can see online play being a lot of fun, too bad not many people have it.

Later this year is only gonna get more crowded. New R6, new GR, Mech 2, Halo 2, SW Battlegrounds and Commando. Remember the days we complained there werent enough Live games?

capt

This is reminding me of how much Live aware games can help. If a game like Top Spin was Live aware, it would be that much more likely that I might serendipitously find a friend online playing it too. Same with Links.

It sucks when you have to stop playing the game to check if anyone is online playing it too.

There are a lot of flavor of the week games that have come out. Carve, Unreal 2 , MTX and so on, however all the games are fun.

To be honest, I think Carve isn't very good in single player (IMO), and unfortunately I bought it a week late (and at a point when I didn't have a lot of gaming time), so I never even played it online. I basically got a few hours play out of it before getting tired of it.