LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
James T

Xbox DVD-Drive replacement?

Has anyone replaced their Xbox DVD drive? I have a Thompson and it gives huge problems playing some games. The problem games are really the newer ones that freeze a lot. It sucks when playing on Live as you sometimes leave your friends hanging b/c my xbox froze. And even after restarting it, it's not guarenteed to load the game.

I'm thinking of getting one of the Samsung drives off eBay, but there appears to be different models and different colours(most likely a modded PC drive).

And does anyone know how the installation is like? Is it as smooth as a PC DVD-ROM installation?

I replaced mine with a Philips, and it's infinitely better. Cost me about $70 off of eBay. The Samsungs are very popular, because they'll play CD-Rs and people like that for playing music, so those drives cost a lot more. And yes, it's as simple as replacing a drive in a PC (IDE and power connectors), you'll just need a torx head screwdriver set to get the screws out.

I tried the laser power increase mod on my Thomson drive, and that helped for a while. Cleaning the lens and mirror helped too. I eventually killed my drive when I unplugged it while the power was on (don't ask me what I was thinking), which was when I bought the Philips drive.

Edit: I used an Xbox DVD drive, so no hacking was needed in the drive itself.

Have you tried calling MS tech support about your drive issues. I did when Splinter Cell: PT started giving me lots of trouble. Even though I had a launch Xbox without an extended service plan, they took it in under warranty. It was gone about 5 days, came back with a new HD and a Samsung DVD Drive in it. Total cost was $5 for shipping it there. I must've got someone on a good day at tech support, I really expected them to tell me it was gonna be a $100 to fix.

Another option would be to trade your xbox in for store credit at someplace like Gamestop or EB and then get a new one. You are taking a chance on which drive you are gonna get, but I think they're giving around $80 for a used xbox, the balance wouldn't be anymore than what replacement drives are going for on Ebay and you'ld have a warranty. Just a thought.

Yeah. Right now it's probably better just getting a new 'Box from EB. $149 - $80 for a trade in Xbox...really can't beat the price and, you get a completely new 'Box and not just a dvd drive.....warranty too.

Thinking about doing this myself because I have the dreaded Thomson drive. Although...I've never had a game lockup because of it. Still...$70 plus tax for a new Xbox? Hell yeah.... :tu:

I also got MS tech support on a good day. They fixed my drive for free even though I had a launch xbox that was not under warranty. Give them a call, you may get lucky.

How are most people getting all the information from the hard drive when trading in for a new unit? I would hate to loose all my game saves and downloaded apps...

Chad

I dumped the saves that I would miss the most onto a memory card but had to accept some losses, such as KOTOR, Steel Battalion, and DOA Volleyball. The downloaded content, well you just have to redownload it. I need to check with my credit card compnay, but I don't believe I was charged for redownloading the premium course for Links.

Yeah. Right now it's probably better just getting a new 'Box from EB. $149 - $80 for a trade in Xbox...really can't beat the price and, you get a completely new 'Box and not just a dvd drive.....warranty too.

Can you trade in a non-working Xbox, or is this only for ones with DDE errors?

Is this only on B&M stores?

I have an xbox that justs blinks the green led... it doens't eject or show the dashboard. I think it's the drive since it makes strange mechanical sound when it tries to read anything...

Originally posted by bug@May 15 2004, 04:28 PM

$60 isn't cheap but you can buy just official replacement drives.

Link

Any idea who made those drives, or when? (The new Thompson drives are good, but I'd want to stay away from the old)

Any idea who made those drives, or when? (The new Thompson drives are good, but I'd want to stay away from the old)

Do the new thompsons have the same tray as before? How do you know they are new? Have you looked at the actual drive? Just curious....

yes you can trade in non working systmes. I know gamestop does it

So Gamestop allows you to trade in a non-working Xbox? Do you know how much they give you for it?

Originally posted by bickle+May 15 2004, 06:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bickle @ May 15 2004, 06:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bug@May 15 2004, 04:28 PM

$60 isn't cheap but you can buy just official replacement drives.

Link

Any idea who made those drives, or when? (The new Thompson drives are good, but I'd want to stay away from the old) [/b]

I imagine you could probably email them and ask but if I had to guess I'd say they're the older ones, Microsoft knows there's problems with the older Thompson drives and probably sold them all off to retailers like baysoft.

Well, drive arrived today, installed it in about 15 minutes into my Xbox. Most of that time was taken trying to get one screw to go into its "hole" when I realised I was being an idiot.

Drive seems to be working fine so far and it's happily reading Deus Ex which my last drive wouldn't. Drive is by Thomson with a manufacturing date of June 2003, with the tray being different to the old-style Thomson drives. We shall see if it stands the test of time. I didn't think $32 was too much to drop on it vs the price of a new one, but I know it's risky replacing it with an "improved" Thomson drive.