LCVG

Any suggestions for readily available s-video/comp

Adam Tyner

I finally made the plunge and bought a GameCube, so now I have all three consoles plus a new PC in my house, which is...completely unnecessary since I have a stack of unplayed games, but anyway...

The point of this post is that because I decided to buy a console on Easter, my store options were limited, and all I saw at GameStop was a Pelican PL7109 s-video cable. I noticed a strange checkerboard pattern when I plugged it into my set (a Sony VVega KV-36FS12). When I used the composite plug on that cable as well as the in-box Nintendo cable, there were no problems. Never having used s-video on the set before, I verified that the jack itself is fine by plugging in my portable DVD player. No problems whatsoever. I did a search on Usenet and found someone else who noticed the same problem. I haven't tried the cable on any of my other televisions to see if the problem is unique to the combination of that TV and that set of cables. It looks awful, but at least it's sharp and awful :), so I'll try to live with the distortion for another day or two.

Are there any alternative s-video (or preferably component) cables that I'd be likely to find locally? Last I heard, the first party s-video cables were no longer available via retail and that the component cables were only available directly through Nintendo. Preferably, I'd like to buy something and not have to wait for processing/delivery. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I think I had that same S-Video cable...truly awful. Not sure that I remember a checkerboard pattern, but I scrapped it since the audio and video would cut out randomly, which was extremely annoying. Honestly, I doubt you'll run into anything locally unless you luck into having a game store that has the Nintendo cables in used form (which I did see once, might be worth calling around). Your best bet is to order the component cables from Nintendo (a huge video quality improvement) and tough it out until they arrive (should take less than a week). Monster Cable makes a GC S-Video cable (part GCGL300), but at $40, I'd still say you'll be better off ordering the component cable from Nintendo rather than trying to hunt it down locally.

Adam;

I have a Toshiba 42H81 TV, and I have also noticed the "checker board" problem using S-Video cables. The thing is, I've noticed it not only on N64 and Super NES games (since they both use the same cable); I've also noticed it when using one on my Laserdisc player. As with you, I also noticed that the problem disappeared when using composite cables. It may not have been quite as sharp, but overall, the image did look better because the colors were more solid.

I asked about this over at Home Theater Talk a while back, and this is what I was told. Basically, it comes down to the fact that my TV (and probably yours) has a better comb filter than the one that is built into Nintendo's consoles. In case you don't know what that is, a comb filter takes the light and color aspects of a video signal (called luminance and chroma respectively) and separates the two. When you send a video signal to a TV with a composite cable, chroma and luminance information are sent together and then separated by your TV?s comb filter. An S-Video cable sends them out separately, which means that when you use such a cable, you?re using the comb filter in whichever component the signal originates. For you, this is the GameCube, and it sounds as if the comb filter in your TV works better. Therefore, the image probably looks better, albeit not as crisp, with the composite connection.

If you would like to try out a different cable, Monster does offer a high-quality S-Video cable for a reasonable price. However, I strongly recommend you pick up the component video cable from Nintendo.com, particularly if your TV can output a 480p signal. I know you said that you don?t want to have to wait for the package to be processed and delivered, but I?ve purchased several items from the Nintendo store and have had nothing but good experiences. Items ship out promptly and I?m certain if you ordered in the next day or so, it would be at your door by the end of the week. Believe me, the wait will be worth it.

I do plan on picking up Nintendo's component video cables, but this should keep me happy in the meantime.

Adam you may want to play your order for the component cable sooner rather than later. They are currently almost a month backordered on those suckers so it will be a good month till you have to shell out for it anyway and you wont have to worry about waiting longer to get it. (I just recently ordered a second cable for my living room at the end of March and they noted as shipping April 26th :? )

Hey,

I would considering calling all your local game stores. Legally local stores can't carry the Component cable from Nintendo of America, buuutttttt, they are allowd imports. I was able to pick up the cable here at a local Microplay as they stock the japanese impost, cost me $10 more than ordering, but it saved me the long wait. I also called my local EB games and they mentioned they frequently stock the imported cable, but it is on a store to store basis, if the owner chooses to import or not, so do check around.