LCVG

Help with a Anniversary gift of sorts.

howiedo1n

I will be staying at a Hilton for my Anniversary get-away with my wife and I just got a copy of the Raw Wedding Footage on VHS that I was hoping to surprise her with. I called the hotel and they told me that there is a rental fee of $75-$100 per night for a VCR rental. What are the chances of being able to hook up a VCR to the Hiltons TV to avoid this rental fee? I realize most of the newer hotels have this on demand service but does that lock out devices such as VCRs?

Any input would be helpful?

Thanks

What are the chances of being able to hook up a VCR to the Hiltons TV to avoid this rental fee? I realize most of the newer hotels have this on demand service but does that lock out devices such as VCRs?

Any input would be helpful?

Eh...probably not very good to be honest. Actually it depends on the size of the hotel. If it is a larger hotel, it is probably hooked up in such a way that the cable/on-demand coax cable is saudered on in some sort of a box. At smaller places, I have sometimes been able to hook into their TVs since they are more primative. I know because I have tried (and sometimes failed) to do the same thing many times myself.

Then again, if they offer VCR rental at the hotel, surely there would be an easy way for them to hook it up without ripping something off the TV. So I guess its really just a crapshoot. :?

Guest Bryan

Raw footage in a hotel room. Wedding, ha! I know what you're gonna be watching Howie. ;)

Do you know anyone with kids and a tv/vcr combo that they take on trips? That would do the trick. We have a 9" (that's what she said) set that weighs no more than 10 - 15 pounds. Kind of like the TV Allen games on.

Most of the hotels I've stayed in recently have had TVs with AV Jacks in the back. Sometimes they are a pain to get to but they are there.

True, but most hotels have no way for you to change the input on the tv. The button is not on the remote or the tv.

The only way to do it is to have a master remote to the tv.

Howie, is it possible that you talked to the conference coordinator instead of someone for guest services?

A looong time ago, I used to set up hotels for my company's training classes. They gouge on everything when it comes to using equipment in their conference rooms, as usually the business putting on the seminar had deep pockets. It was not unusual to have to pay $25 bucks for a single flip-chart pad!

I'm hoping that they transferred you by mistake and that once they understand it's for a guest in a room it'll be much cheaper.

Call 'em back and explain to them that it is an anniversary surprise, and they may even hook you up for free. Hilton has a pretty good rep for customer service. See if you can talk to the Concierge to see if they can help you out.

Carlos.

I've stayed at hotels a few times where I took my system with me to keep my entertained, but couldn't hook them up as there was a metal "sleeve" on the coax cable so that it couldn't be disconnected.

But this was back in the day when TVs rarely had RCA jacks, so I have no idea what you might be able to do nowadays.

If you think they might tell you that you can't hook up your VCR just to get you to pay for a rental, or something like that, you might want to ask if you can hook up your camcorder.

I called and asked about the AV jacks for "my kids playstation" and they said that would also be impossible since they have the pay to play service. They keep saying that I would not be able to connect anything. Looks like I am up the creek with out a paddle.... I am a bit surprised that they were not a bit more helpful though..?. I must be some kind of policy to prevent any one from messing with there TVs.

• 5 months later...

Howie, whatever became of this? I ask because I'm set to go to Austin in mid October for a training class for a whole week and I would love to take my xbox along with me. I will be driving so it's no problem to lug the xbox along, but without a TV to hook it up to, I'm hosed. (unless I also take my 20" tv with me!)

Carlos.

I would have to suggest to B.Y.O.T.V. because there was some type of lock box over the entire rear where the cables are connected and housed. I have also seen it where there is just a plastic cap over the coaxial cable to prevent anyone from tampering with it as well.

On top of that there is really no way to switch from the broadcast mode over to video since the manufactures remote wont be in the room. Most of the time there is some type of cable or satellite system in place in which case that is the remote that will be in the room. Most of those will not have the TV/video button for the set.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.