LCVG

Brothers In Arms - Screenshots Inside 56k Warning

kelley

Gearbox has announced their next game, Brotherhood In Arms, due to be published by Ubi Soft and out on the PC and Xbox end of the year and GC and PS2 early 2005.

Designed by Gearbox Software, Brothers in Arms was born out of president Randy Pitchford's passion to bring a more grounded Band of Brothers feel to a World War II game, encouraging a sense of identity of the squad members, and generally elevating the genre. Authenticity was key, and the team spent years researching and delving into the National Archives to get their facts straight, unearthing hundreds of hours of after-action reports, which were thought lost for over 30 years.

brothersinarms_1.jpg

brothersinarms_2.jpg

brothersinarms_4.jpg

More Info

here.

This game has just shot up into to my top 5 most wanted!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the article they talk about how you can walk up to any squad mate and start a conversation with them about all their life back home, who knows maybe even about their woman in waiting. Also the game is putting a focus on allowing you to control placement of your troops and really create tactics.

Originally posted by secretvampire@Apr 13 2004, 03:43 PM

Maybe the soldiers will tell stories about their girls "back home" between missions? ;)

If a soldier shows you a pic of a sweetheart back home and dreamily explains how they're getting married after the war -- put some distance between the two of you.

Seriously, there might be a lot of titles in the genre, but I think the surface of what's possible has hardly been scratched. ANZACs, Brits in India, US in India/Burma; there's a lot of different areas and flavors that haven't been addressed. For that matter, I don't think there's been a true combined arms game that leans towards a sim.

-j

If a soldier shows you a pic of a sweetheart back home and dreamily explains how they're getting married after the war -- put some distance between the two of you.

:lmfao:

Seriously, there might be a lot of titles in the genre, but I think the surface of what's possible has hardly been scratched. ANZACs, Brits in India, US in India/Burma; there's a lot of different areas and flavors that haven't been addressed.

Oh, I TOTALLY agree with this, there is still plenty of territory to explore as far as gameplay goes. I just think that if the biggest draw is getting to know my virtual computer squadmate as a brother...um. ;)

I just want the adrenaline rush and "oh, shit!" moments I got from CoD, and who knows, maybe this game will provide that as well. Lord knows I would buy another game in the same style as CoD (and will surely be buying the CoD expansion later this year).

People will say there's an over-abundance of WW2 games out there. Well, if they're good, I don't care how many there are.

I agree - the latest OXM stated that Battlefield 1942 was still being worked on for the monolith. If BIA turns out to be a good game, then I'll probably get it..

Originally posted by exile@Apr 13 2004, 08:39 PM

Damn you Kelley.

Now I want this title and I know my video card can't take it!

Guess you'll have to build that new PC we were talking about :D

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat as you!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I watched the video included on this months OXM demo disc, and although I've been semi-excited about this game, the video didn't really sell me on it. I'm thinking primarily since it was showing the Xbox version (I believe it was), rather than the PC version. All previous screens I've seen were from the PC version, and looked fantastic.

Depending on how the multiplayer is, I'll probably be getting the PC version for single player. Unless the Xbox Live multiplayer is stellar, then I'll probably pick up the Xbox version.

Yeah, that demo/movie on the last OXM disc, didn't really sell me on it either. But, from other movies I've seen on Gamespot, I think it looks pretty good.

I'm hoping that some of those here and there choppy framerates are taken care of and, I didn't like the few times in that OXM movie, where the enemy got killed and, his leg shot straight out and he fell down like a brick. Looked really shabby.

Still, it's not finished. There's no telling exactly what point in the developement that that movie was from so, I still have pretty high hopes.

I have high hopes for this games, simply because I like Ubisoft, and I'd like to see them make a really good World War II game. That said, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz about it, and it comes out next month.

I'm not sure which video you guys saw, but I did see something about Brothers in Arms on an OXM disc a while back myself. It was a developer commentary that showed off some of the game's main features. One thing I really liked was the ability to get an overhead view of where enemies were at as well as see the layout of the level. Games like this tend to become trial-and-error fests as you discover where enemies are placed only after they shoot you in the back. This way, you can think your way through a given situation and have a better chance of survival.

• 1 month later...

According to IGN's review, Brothers in Arms is a pretty damn good game, garnering a very favorable 9.3 rating from them. Here's some of what they had to say:

The basic shooter mechanics are solid but you'll probably need to adjust your mindset a bit since you're not the super soldier you are in most other games. Like in Rainbow Six, a couple of hits are sufficient to bring you down in Brothers in Arms. You can opt to play with a reticle or not. It makes the game more realistic to play with it off but it makes it a hell of a lot more convenient to switch it on. In either case, the zoom function makes use of a great iron sights effect where you stare down the barrel and literally have to line the target up in your sights.

Though the action elements are exciting on their own, it's all stuff we've seen before. It's the squad-based tactics that really make Brothers in Arms so much fun to play. If you've played Full Spectrum Warrior you've got a good idea how this works already. You have two fire teams -- one armed for assault and one armed to provide covering fire. You'll need to maneuver them around the battlefield to suppress and outflank the enemy. Since you'll take part in these fights yourself, you can plan even more sophisticated attacks, catching the enemy in a three-way crossfire.

I've had my eye on this one for a while, mostly because it's being published by Ubisoft, and I'm very happy to see it has apparently turned out well. I'll probably go pick up a copy for myself sometime later this week. It's been a while since I've sat down with a really good first-person shooter game.

Just glanced at that review. I've got the game pre-ordered, so I'm glad to hear it doesn't suck :)

Sounds like the multiplayer could have been better, but so long as the Live interface is alright (which seems to be a challenge for many developers) I think I'll have some fun with it, at least until SC: CT comes out.

Hope to play with some of you this weekend :)