LCVG

nVidia 6800Ultra Benchmarks and Discussion

kelley

Cards a beast! Definitely looks like Nvidia stepped up their game for the NV40 (about damn time). Only major complaint I have from looking at the comparison shots is Nvidia is still lacking in the image quality department. The ATI cards implementation of AA remains superior (which is something I was hoping Nvidia would make some ground on though these aren't final drivers). Even taking that into account those numbers are indeed impressive. The Splinter Cell screenshot alone about floored me. Almost double the framerate over both the XT and 5950! Looking forward to what ATI brings to the table next. Your right about one thing. Things are going get interesting....

Damn, Unreal Tournament 2004 1600x1200 102.9FPS for the 6800Ultra, Radeon 9800XT 69.1FPS.

Call of Duty 1600x1200 175.2FPS for the 6800Ultra, Radeon 9800XT 70.7FPS.

Looks like the only game that the 6800 doesn't pimp slap the 9800 in is Far Cry, which seems to have some issues with nVidia cards anyways.

Lots of "Reviews" hitting the 'net today since the NDA was lifted:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA2

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.html

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/128/

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_680...tra/index.shtml

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/nv40_debut.shtml

I'm jazzed about this card. I love new hardware (as most of you know). This could be the kind of thing where I buy both ATIs piece and nVidias piece, and have them duke it out for that 1 AGP slot in my PC. :D

It will be interesting to see ATI's part being that its only a 12 pipeline card, but it is rumored to be running around 600Mhz :shock:

Also I really want to see the regular 6800 as its also only a 12 pipeline card, and is much more affordable :D

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Apr 14 2004, 09:43 AM

I thought it was confirmed that ATI x800 Pro and x800XT were 16 pipeline cards?

The ATI X800 is supposedly only a 12 pipeline card and the X800XT is going to be a 16 pipeline card, so basically the same set up as the 6800/6800Ultra.

Looking at more of these benchmarks I think its safe to say if you play games at 1024x768 you are just fine today with a 9800 base card, but if you want to play games at 1600x1200, time to start finding $500 for a 6800Ultra.

Following a long steady succession of incremental upgrades, it was refreshing to test a product like the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra. After evaluating its in-game image quality and benchmarking it versus the previous generation of flagship products, we're reminded of ATi's release of the Radeon 9700 Pro back in August of 2002, or dare we say even the 3Dfx Voodoo 2. It has been quite a while since we have seen such dominant performance from a new product in this market. Thanks to its new rotated-grid anti-aliasing sampling algorithm and excellent anisotropic filtering techniques, the GeForce 6800 Ultra's in-game image quality is vastly improved over the GeForce FX as well. In our opinion NVIDIA has even surpassed ATi's image quality this time around - the 6800 Ultra's AA seemed just a bit more crisp, and its anisotropic filtering was a tad better as well. The GeForce 6800 Ultra's performance is obviously a strong point also. We tested the card in 43 different configurations using 9 different benchmarks, and in all but a few CPU limited circumstances, the GeForce FX 6800 Ultra was the dominant performer, in some cases more than quadrupling the performance of the previous generation.

The sum up from HotHardware's review I think says it the best.

From the Anandtech review:

We were able to achieve very smooth frame rates under Halo at 2048x1536, and 34fps under FarCry at the same resolution.

2048x1536!!!! My monitor barely even goes to 1280x1024 :P And here we have a graphics card that plays games smoothly at 2048x1536......<reaches for wallet>damn empty</puts wallet back and cries>

nVidia told reviewers to use atleast a 480W PSU

/me hugs his Antec True480 PSU

Although If I go the RAID route in the next few months, I might have to up that bitch to a 550! :shock:

I am nervous that it needs two power connections, and recommends not using chained molex connectors. I don't know if I have two that aren't chained at the moment. Well, it's about time I rewired this puppy, so here would be a good reason to do so,

Originally posted by gigapower@Apr 14 2004, 12:03 PM

One thing not mentioned in this thread so far....nVidia told reviewers to use atleast a 480W PSU!!!

Yup, so if I want to upgrade, not only do I need the card itself, I'll also need a new PSU :shock:

Can't wait to see the ATI benchmarks.

According to the FiringSquad review they felt the card was CPU bound until they hit 1600x1200 resolution in most of their benchmarks.

Come on ATI fire back!!! I think the 26th is when they announce their next card.

Another interesting tidbit from the FiringSquad review, Far Cry already supports Shader 3.0 and they are just waiting on DirectX 9.0c to be released this summer for them to be enabled.

I wouldn't be shocked to see that ATI decides to wait a bit to let the reviewers check out their cards so they can do some tweaking. I bet these early reviews are making the ATI office a bit rough today or they are relaxing knowing their card is equal or superior.

For $500 this thing better give me head :)