LCVG

Ricky Gervais interview

rustyjaw

He's clearly a keen observer of human behavior. And he and the co-writer are masters at creating characters from their observations. I love how he talks about the way embarrassment is contagious, when you watch someone embarrass themselves you feel some of that embarrassment. It's very true and they make excruciating use of that on the show.

Yeah, Gervais is a genius at comedy. I've never seen a show that is so funny yet makes you squirm so much at the same time. I dunno why they compare The Office to Fawlty Towers though, I personally find The Office a much more enjoyable program.

Not to slight the brilliance of John Cleese, mind, but The Office is hideously compelling. Those clips are just perfect, I love when David is getting the attention of the hotel manager.

I watched the first episode of Series 2 last night. Wonderful! I don't have cable (so no BBC America) so I'm watching these for the first time. The last DVD I raced through them, this time I'm going to take my time and space them apart a bit. Then I'll go back and watch them all again in order.

Gervais indicated that the Christmas specials will be released here in November. I'm looking forward to those too.

• 1 year later...

Alret, Alert, Alert!

Ricky Gervais is being interviewed on the Daily Show right now.

EDIT: Anyone who missed it didn't miss much. Between the "No, I love you more"-type comments and recycled Animals jokes, we didn't actually learn anything about his More Flanimals book. I don't know what it's about, but it looks like it might be a children's book.

Yeah the Flanimals books are children's books, but funny enough for adults too. It's a stretch to even call them 'books' though..... Well, they are, but they're amusing picture books more than anything. No substance to them whatsoever, but fairly amusing nevertheless.

http://www.flanimals.com/

Gervais is starting to worry me a little. From charging for the podcast to that dreadful episode of the Simpsons as well as suddenly attacking British TV and waffling on about how great American shows are in comparison he's not turning himself into the most likable person. Hopefully he'll get back to actually working and we'll have Extras back on our screens soon.