LCVG

Battlefield: Modern Combat (Xbox and 360 versions)

Romier S

Electronic Arts and Digital Illusions are finally bringing the Battlefield experience to home consoles with Modern Combat. Here is the scoop:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/15/news_6093556.html

Electronic Arts and Digital Illusions have today announced the development of Battlefield: Modern Combat for the PlayStation 2. Currently scheduled for release towards the end of this year, the game will be the first in the Battlefield series to appear on a console and will allow up to 24 players to battle with each other simultaneously online whilst communicating with each other via USB headsets

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I've been playing the shit out of it but the servers are a major pain in the ass. The auto update released keeps them from crashing but the lag during primetime gaming hours makes the game completely unplayable. Aside from that and the friends list bug that never got fixed from the demo I'm loving this game.

Is nobody buying it because of the imminent 360 or because they have the PC version?

The 360 version is coming is one big factor for me. Of course, I would have broken down and bought it since I loved the demo if it wasn't for Battlefront II coming. With Battlefront though, I don't much reason to shell out of the money for Modern Combat right now.

I've been playing the shit out of it but the servers are a major pain in the ass. The auto update released keeps them from crashing but the lag during primetime gaming hours makes the game completely unplayable. Aside from that and the friends list bug that never got fixed from the demo I'm loving this game.

Yes, the freezes are gone but the lag appears to be getting less and less. I played for 5 hours straight Saturday night and only experienced a few stutters.

I haven't had this much fun with a shooter since Halo 2 was first released. The variety of classes, weapons and vehicles makes it so enjoyable. Due to EA running the servers and the inability to set up your own session, my only issue is that playing with the masses leads to less team coordination and makes it more of a "lone wolf / run and gun" style of play as opposed to a "strategic military sim shooter". Although I did see some strategy used after playing with the same team after a while. Once a game ends, starting new games with the same group of guys certainly helps coordination. Right now, a lot of players are new and still in the discovery phase. I suspect as more people learn these huge maps, more stategy will be used.

Amazingly enough I ran into no team killers, singing adolecents or any other variety of asshats.

With the 360 less than a month away, Far Cry Instincts still some what fresh, and Battlefront II and Flashpoint right around the corner, I can understand why people are hesitent in picking up this FPS. Especially if you already play the PC version. Personally, I will continue to play this game until the 360 version gets released.

Due to EA running the servers and the inability to set up your own session, my only issue is that playing with the masses leads to less team coordination and makes it more of a "lone wolf / run and gun" style of play as opposed to a "strategic military sim shooter".

D'oh. That's exactly what I'm not looking for when I play online games on Live vs. on the PC.

Played a bit of this over the weekend. The single player is alright, I’m about three of four missions in. I really only played those to get the hang of the controls and to see how the game played. Online for me was a different story. Didn’t really like it much. Every game I played in had a bit of lag. It was really only unplayable in one game though, the rest of the time it was just annoying.

My biggest problem with the game is the general disorganization. Granted I’m new to the game and didn’t really know what I was doing, but it seemed like people had there own agenda and didn’t really care about what other people were doing. I also think the lack of having a host and any control over the game makes it tough to play with friends. Sure you can join their game but communicating and sticking together isn’t very practical. In games like Black Arrow, Summit Strike or Far Cry you could load a map and go through it with friends before actually playing or opening it up to the public. This game seems really tough to just jump in to.

It’s not all bad though. The fact that there are dedicated servers so that 24 can play at once is great. The graphics are nice and the game does play very smoothly when it is lag free. I guess it’s just not my type of game. I’ll keep at it for a little while, but I have a feeling this is going to be traded in towards something 360.

• 1 month later...

Battlefield 2 fans will be happy to see free DLC will be available December 22nd. New maps, and vehicles will be included in the download. Here's the report on IGN:

Fans of Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, of which there are many, will be happy to know that an upcoming expansion entitled the Warsome Booster Pack will be released on December 22, 2005, just in time for the holidays. Fans will be even happier to know that the pack, which would normally retail for $9.99, will be given away for free over Xbox Live.

Yes that's right, free Battlefield 2. But you're probably assuming you only get a measly texture upgrade on one gun model, right? Well, not really. Included with the pack are three new maps called Wake Island, a Middle Eastern map and finally a snowy terrain in northern China. In addition, you'll get four new vehicles like attack snowmobiles armed with .50 caliber dual machine guns, as well as a few more goodies.