LCVG

Buying first run DVD's

The Daisy

It's getting almost absurd now. We see 2 to 3 releases of almost every single new movie.

Heck, Kill Bill Vol 1 has been out for 2 days and they're talking about an "ultimate" release already. Also, there is talk of another edition of Gladiator with additional footage.

Can anyone give me a good reason to buy first run DVD's anymore?

Glen

To get the theaterical cut of a film,the way it was first released.

Having said that, & being such a huge DVD guy, I find myself checking websites like The Digital Bits to get the latest info on new releases.

With Kill Bill originially slated to be one movie, I had an idea about OT doing something like this. As soon as I heard rumblings about the "ultimate" edition, I decided to pass on this version.

The only times that I "double dip" are:

A: The newer DVD is miles above the prior release in terms of audio & visual quality - or an early release DVD (Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves)

B: A favorite film that was released barebones - & then gets a better release with a future edition

(Escape From New York & the upcoming Predator SE)

C: A favorite film that has an extended/directors' cut. (Pearl Harbor & The LOTR films)

B & C,though - are few & far between. While I like Gladiator, & I can watch it many times, I don't put it in the same class as the first 2 Alien films,or the OT of Star Wars.

Hence,no sale.

Best advice I can give to everyone - stay informed as to what is coming out - and complain when studios do something hat you don't like. (a good example would be Sony's upcoming Spider-Man DVD releases...)

In all fairness, it has been known for quite some time that a super-duper boxset of Vol. 1 & 2 would be released. I have no problem with this - as long as they let the consumer know upfront. The same thing happened with Dogma. Crappy one-disc barebones release followed by an awesome 2-disc set, but it too was mentioned upfront so I did not purchase the initial release.

Things like Independence Day really urk me though. We have a perfectly serviceable 5-Star Collection 2-disc set that was released a few years ago - it's great, 2 cuts of the movie, loads of extras, enough to satisfy anyone. Now it's being re-released in a slightly different style most likely to pump Will Smith's I-Robot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not purchasing this new edition, nor do I feel compelled to. However, what bugs me is that this effort could have been spent on movies that aren't even out on DVD yet! The same goes for Gladiator - the current release kicks ass, so why would they waste resources in pumping out another version when there are countless other movies sitting dormant in a vault somewhere?

Actually, I do know why. The studios know they can make a quick buck as legions of J6Ps will see these new editions and happily snap them up for the price asked.

What are we to do? :?

While there is talk of a new release for Kill Bill Vol 1 and we've known about it for a while. I will wait to see it when I believe it. It's up to the distributor to release the disc.

For Kill Bill I knew the release would be good enough for me for now and I'll gladly double dip but normally I don't.

If it's a Columbia Tri Star release, I wait until the Superbit and I've been rewarded several times this way.

If it's non-anamorphic I don't buy it at all.

In the case of the LOTR Trilogy, I wanted the extended cuts so I'm waiting on those. Then again if I see ROTK early while in NYC, I will probably cave.

Fair enough, the Kill Bill stuff was known. But doesn't this bother some of you that you have to pay $20 for an "original" release, and then another $20 to $30 for the "extended" release, that could have been done via branching, for example look to the Abyss Special Edition.

I don't mind the LOTR extended ones, they promoted it right off the bat that they were going to add more later, but some of the other companies just seem to be flat out hiding the fact that they're going to be releasing "feature-rich" DVD's later.

Glen

but some of the other companies just seem to be flat out hiding the fact that they're going to be releasing "feature-rich" DVD's later.

Yes, this is bad business. But since we never know for sure when and if we'll get another release, we're kind of stuck. Either that or it's so long between the initial release and the super one (eg. Spiderman will have been about a year and a half between releases) that it makes it too long a wait. You can almost certainly still sell your original version to put towards the new version.

Kill Bill is the first and probably last double-dip I'll ever do. I just love that movie so damn much that I knew I'd have to have the initial release to tide me over until the SE. I bought it in the $20 KB/Reservoir Dogs promo at Best Buy and haven't regretted it for a second. When the SE finally does come out (whenever that is), I'll be ecstatic.

Usually my philosophy for movies I already own is "This is good enough," and I don't buy the second release. I waited literally years for the UE of Terminator 2, and happily purchased it upon its release. Then when the Extreme Edition came out, I passed. The UE was good enough for me, although T2 is one of my favorite movies ever. As much as I love it, I just couldn't see paying out yet again for slightly improved picture quality and a Cameron commentary.

I'm getting to the point now where extras mean less and less to me because I know I rarely re-watch them, so as long as the movie looks and sounds good and isn't cut all to hell from its original version, it's usually enough to keep me happy. There has to be a pretty compelling reason for me to re-buy something I already own.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I usually don't care much about DVD Extra's. Give me a nice transfer and good sound and I'm a happy camper. Only blockbuster films like Stars Wars series, LOTR, Terminator, etc... have me viewing the extras and even then it's rare.

Same here unless it's a movie I really love will I even look at the extras. I still haven't looked at the extras in LOTR: FOTR EE. Although if the movie is part of a series, I now wait until they all are released as a box set.

The only movies I would double-dip, would be the star wars saga.

Fair enough, the Kill Bill stuff was known. But doesn't this bother some of you that you have to pay $20 for an "original" release, and then another $20 to $30 for the "extended" release, that could have been done via branching, for example look to the Abyss Special Edition.

If its unknown yes. If its known, No it doesn't bother me because i get a choice then.

I'm in the same boat Glen, what I did was start renting at Netflix. I find that most new movies I buy I would watch once, maybe twice then shelf it indefinitely (or for once in a blue moon.) Or it is a movie I love and would watch over and over or on a moment's notice (Gladiator, Matrix 1-3, Star Wars X-X, etc.)

With the $20 Netflix fee I get to watch all the first run movies and then put them in the first or second categories more easily. For example, Lost in Translation was good but not buy it good, Open Range was initially low on the radar but so good I bought it. By putting in this little system, I think I've saved myself about $80 a month in movies I would have bought before, but now just watch it once. If a movie does get more than one viewing but isn't a keeper, no late fees so no problems there either.

Plus you can rent DVD sets, so I can finally watch the entire Inuyasha anime series without forking over $200+ for all 3,000 episodes. Well, maybe that's not accurate but you know what I mean. Wife and I love the Netflix :green:

I can finally watch the entire Inuyasha anime series without forking over $200+ for all 3,000 episodes.

Don't start me. The per DVD episode count for that series is really awful, even at the lower price point, just because of sheer volume. Which really, really sucks because I've seen some Inu Yasha and really liked it.

On the flipside of the double-dip, I gotta say that temptation is hard to resist sometimes especially since we can be left with our asses hanging out waiting for a release for a LONG time. Two personal case-in-points, I have been dying to get a copy of Panic Room, but was waiting for the SE, which just came out to mark the film's two-year anniversary.

Then there's the Daredevil SE, which I'm waiting to get because I'm intent on seeing the director's cut with the excised footage, but that got pushed back to 2005. Grr, arrr :P. I recognize that there's a point to releasing the theatrical film on DVD quick, but the SE can easily be ready to go at the same time for those of us who like that sort of extra.

I haven't bought a dvd in quite awhile for this same reason. I'm tired of special editions, ultra editions, collectors additions, etc. So I'll just rent them from netflix. Keep them till I'm bored with it and return it. I've got over 200 dvd's and was a big buyer for awhile, but just got tired of the rereleases and getting burned and having to wait for the final, best edition which never really comes out.

I don't really have a problem with this. I don't usually watch many of the extra features anyway so I'm not always upgrading unless it's an audio/video upgrade. And even then, double and triple dipping isn't as bad as the prices of laserdiscs. $40 for barebones LDs and $100+ for special editions were the norm back then.

The NY times has an article about things like this here. I especially liked the way the Miramx rep points out how they are going get people to try and double and triple dip on a movie like Kill Bill. I don't entirely mind with a movie like the LOTR trilogy where the extended cuts are very substantial, but I wonder just how special those Kill Bill SE's will be when they come out. It gets talked about at the Digital Bits as well.