LCVG

ToCa Party

Sam P

Well I checked Gamestop today and they never got any copies of the game in because there were no preorders for it. Apparently they dont get games in stock that people dont preorder. Pretty lame if you ask me. Oh well I'll see if I can find a copy elsewhere (Best Buy, Soft Etc., etc).

Wow, fun game, thanks Ant1 for hosting and Sam P for keeping everyone challenged.

Can either of you vouch for the other people online with us last night? I got several friends requests, and I'd rather not use my few remaining slots for people I'll probably never play with.

I gotta say the one guy going on about his problems with gaming on 'pills' and beer (in mildly slurred speech) was kinda funny in a pathetic way.

I have to admit that way moreso than PGR, you need to be playing with people who can actually keep the car on the road because the consequences of being bashed into in this game are severe. I'm not saying that I'm blameless, I smacked into a few people last night, but not nearly as often as I got smashed into and in some cases nearly incapacitated right off the start.

Originally posted by iainl@Apr 20 2004, 09:06 AM

Seat Leons? Are those in the game, then? Oooh, I'll have to buy it now; I've got a shiny '04 Leon sitting on the drive.

I believe that's the car, yes. they are quite fun too, quick little numbers.

I also really enjoyed the DTM racing, in the Mercedes...whoo those cars are fast and they stick to the track. the DTM race on the Dutch track was hot.

Ed I was running a public room last night, so no I cannot vouch for any of the invites you recieved, I got a few myself. Thanks for joining us, impressive racing skills my friend!

I have found that this game does not have too many asshats playing, at least late at night. The similarities with Motogp extend to the user base, more serious racers in general.YMMV.

Yes pileups are a concern, however I try and just enjoy the racing and if someone is purposely running other people I will give them a warning or kick them. However the need to do that did not arise in over 4 hrs. of racing last night. In the end I am looking for some laughs and an attempt at clean racing.

I am fully hooked and sold on this game. Now have to work through the offline to get more options available, or call codemasters and shell out for the unlockables which i personally do not feel is a practice I want to encourage.

I'll be on again tonight to host a room for anyone looking for some fun racing,11 p.m. e.s.t.

Iain,

Yup, SEAT Leons are in there. You've got one? Sweet! PM me some piccys of your spanish exotic. :) I've always thought of SEATs as uber-hot VWs.

Ed,

I accepted a few (and even sent out a couple) to people who I thought were good racers. Those are the guys who avoided contact and put a conscious effort into being considerate of other racers. I don't have enough people on my list playing this game.

Yes, this game is definitely punishing on any pileups. Not only is there damage, if you get run off the road it might be ages before you're back on. All the circuits have big run off areas (like their real life counterparts). In PGR, you just kinda bash the wall and get back on it, not much loss in speed. In this game, one off-road excursion will put you dead last, more often than not.

For me, last night, if I could break away from the pack pretty early on, I could get a good finish. But the times I didn't I just kept being pushed off the road mid-pack, or in the rear. This one race, everytime I got up to 6th spot the same fella pushes me off the road. He was extremely apologetic so I didn't yell at him. :D

Oh, I thought I would hate the stockcars, but they are a RIOT! The rear always want to step out and I find great pleasure in having the car at the point where it's sliding but not lost.

For me, last night, if I could break away from the pack pretty early on, I could get a good finish. But the times I didn't I just kept being pushed off the road mid-pack, or in the rear. This one race, everytime I got up to 6th spot the same fella pushes me off the road. He was extremely apologetic so I didn't yell at him.

Yep, and the best course of action if you start in the back is to just let everyone get a small head start and then weave through the carnage they create ;)

Even so, I had a couple of races where my damage lights were all red after the first lap!

he rear always want to step out and I find great pleasure in having the car at the point where it's sliding but not lost.

Yeah, I was surprised at how fun they are. Reminds me a bit of that Sprintcars game on the PS2, only Sprintcars are even more intense and difficult to control.

A bit of digging on the Codies site shows that the Leons they have are the fancing racing versions, the Supercopa. Then you've got the full-on Ninja road version, the Cupra R, the only slightly less vicious normal Cupra (which both my brother-in-law and my next door neighbour both have, gits ;) ), and finally the 'sensible' normal Leon, which I have - I'll take some photos when its not quite so miserable out anyway.

Underneath the (IMO, obviously) much nicer body panels lurk the chassis and engine of a Mk 4 Golf, so yeah - hot VWs is kinda right.

As for being penalised by going off road, I'd definitely agree. I've been playing the PC demo, and it took a good while just to get used to feathering the throttle just right so I don't doughnut trying to get back off the grass every time I stuff up. I love the way the thing penalises over-revving or too harsh breaking.

Guest Bryan
Originally posted by ant1@Apr 20 2004, 12:19 PM

call codemasters and shell out for the unlockables

I did this. I don't usually partake in the career modes on racing games and this allows me to experience all the tracks and cars. I had no problem with paying $4 in this case because the game is a steal at $29.99 and it only required $10 "new" dollars from me as I traded in ASB 2005.

I would prefer it if all vehicles were available for online play right off the bat, but CodeMasters did the code thing for previous releases, so I guess it works for them. Having online access to all cars has increased my enjoyment factor by 200% - I wish I could do the same thing for the PGR2 online mode. If anyone wants to run a series that they have not unlocked yet, please let me know!