LCVG

Microsoft buying Bioware?

adamsappel

Sony dominates the consoles, and Nintendo dominates handheld. I think anything that increases competition in those markets is good for consumers.

In this case(consoles), I think anything that puts Microsoft in a better market position is better for gamers. Now if a story came out saying that Sony was buying Bioware, THAT would be bad for gamers. Don't forget, in the OS world MS is the evil monopoly. In the console world MS is the underdog and Sony is the evil monopoly... thankfully that seems to be changing.

but makes KOTOR 2 all but a done deal for xbox

Except that Bioware is just the developer of KOTOR. If LucasArts sees differently, they can do what they want with that license. MS wouldn't really have a say except in allowing their developer to make the game, and to come to an agreement with LA to keep it exclusive on XBox (which I do fully expect). If LucasArts wants to put it out on PC, or even a KOTOR game on a competing console, or gameboy, they can, and they'll get another developer to do it if they have to.

Doesn't MicroSoft buy somebody else every other week or start a rumor to that effect? ;)

That being said, it would be smart of them to buy BioWare, very smart. They don't have a huge RPG juggernaut and it would give them something to go up the juggernaut of the FF series on the PS2.

That IGN article further solidifies exactly why I've grown tired of reading anything they post anymore. They include the same information given from the same source and include the typical lining of IGN brand speculation. Mind you there is no REAL information in that article besides a quote from Bioware that is about as corporate as it gets.

No offense to you of course Joey, just venting my frustration with how ridiculous IGN's reporting has been as of late.

A bit more level headed report on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/19/news_6093879.html

Officially, it is BioWare's policy not to comment on rumors. But the online chatter had the Northern developer willing to provide a tad more than the usual boilerplate response. "To us, it's really thin air," a BioWare staffer told GameSpot today, "we value Microsoft as a publishing partner." However, the representative would not straight-out deny the reports of its purchase, either, allowing speculation about the alleged deal to linger.

Originally posted by Bobbio@Apr 22 2004, 11:19 PM

Heres a thought....

If Microsoft, Wallmart, and AOL were to merge into one company would the world just go poof? :bang:

Probably not, but that Kathy Lee Collection pair of jeans you are wearing would be the hippest in terms of style.

Originally posted by gigapower+Apr 23 2004, 09:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (gigapower @ Apr 23 2004, 09:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bobbio@Apr 22 2004, 11:19 PM

Heres a thought....

If Microsoft, Wallmart, and AOL were to merge into one company would the world just go poof? :bang:

Probably not, but that Kathy Lee Collection pair of jeans you are wearing would be the hippest in terms of style. [/b]

ehhhhhh what??????? I'm missing the joke I guess