LCVG

Hey Mario is fighting the big Ape again

DaveC

Ya apparently they're combining some old school with new, I'm thinking a cross between the original Donkey Kong where you have to reach him and some Super Mario world with switches and conveyor belts and all the other goodies, i can't wait

This is also a must buy for me!!

I just thought about something.

I complain about buying multiple copies of DVD's, but I typically end up buying multiple copies of Nintendo games.

I think the thing that doesn't make me mad about the Nintendo thing, is the fact that it takes 10 years for them to re-make a game.

Glen

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know how closely it resembles Donkey Kong for the original (and Super) Game Boy. The screen shots I've seen look to be an expansion on the puzzle game play presented in that game. If so, I'll be happy to pick it up.

If it is entirely different, I'll be happy to pick it up.

I guess I'm a fanboy either way.

Ok, here are my first impressions of Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

Background: The story is pretty straightforward. Donkey Kong sees a commercial on TV for the little Mario guys and goes to the store to get some, but finds that the store is all sold out. Lucky for him, the factory is nearby and there are only Toads running the place(the wimpy bastards). So, he proceeds to clean them out. That gets Mario all ticked off, and he's off to rescue the mini-Mario's.

Gameplay: At this point, I've only played through the first "level" of the game. Each level seems to consist of 6 parts where you have to go and rescue the little Mario guys, as well as another level where you have to use the little guys to spell out a word for a bonus and then get them to a toy chest to "recapture" them for the toy factory. The final board of each level would appear to be the battle with DK.

On the first level, you get boards that are basically there for you to learn each of Mario's moves that he can use in the boards. The moves vary from simple picking up of paint cans to throw at enemies (which gives you a points), to performing the new Mario Handstand manuever to protect you from objects flying at you from above.

On each board, your objective is to recover the mini-Mario toy, but if you choose to you can go after each of the "presents" that are in place throughout each board. Each present that you track down will give you points, 2000 for the first, 3000 for the second, and 5000 for the third.

While you're moving through each board, the clock continues to tick down, so you do have to keep moving if you actually want to complete each board. The clock also serves as a points bonus for each board. For each second that you have left on the clock, you receive 100 points after you complete the level.

Each board has a high score set for it. If you break that high score, you get a star for that level. For the most part, I found that it took me 1 or 2 tries for each level to get the star needed. I'm guessing that if you get all of the stars by the end of the game there is a bonus to be had. That seems like a pretty common formula.

One other thing to note, is that when you end each level, you have a chance to add 1, 2 or more extra lives.

At this point, having only gone through the first 8 levels, it seems that the game is a bit easier than I expected it would be, but I know I'm just getting into the game.

One thing that surprised me a bit is the fact that lives seem to come very easily, so there isn't too much to worry about on the levels. I'll put some more time into it tomorrow, and I'm sure that the difficulty will pick up a bit.

I'd recommend the title at this point if you want a great flash back to the old Donkey Kong games of the past, with some nice new twists put onto them.

Glen

I only played the 1st world so far and I am enjoying it. Granted it was quite easy, but from the reviews I have read it says the difficulty picks up in about the 4th world, plus there are expert levels to unlock and whatnot. Mario's new handstand move is quite cool since it can block falling objects (which you get points for doing). I'll play some more today, but It was easily worth the $20 I paid for it and I think any Mario fan should pick this up, especially if you have a Best Buy near you.

-Dean-

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by merlot@Jun 18 2004, 02:13 PM

Although the damn bird on World 2-4 cost me 6 lives so far. :bang:

Don't worry, merlot. Once you get to the fifth world, you will be dying a lot more than that! I promise.

Originally posted by J.Fo+Jun 21 2004, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J.Fo @ Jun 21 2004, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-merlot@Jun 18 2004, 02:13 PM

Although the damn bird on World 2-4 cost me 6 lives so far. :bang:

Don't worry, merlot. Once you get to the fifth world, you will be dying a lot more than that! I promise. [/b]

This statement could not be any truer.

-Dean-

• 1 month later...

Holy heavens, this is a great game! You know how I can tell? Even though I've technically beaten it - in other words finished both the regular and plus levels - I feel compelled to go back and play through the entire game again, only this time I want to earn the stars on each of the levels, thereby opening up all of the expert stages. As you might suspect, I plan on beating those levels once I have them all opened up.

At this time, I have 73 of the 90 stars. Everything through the 3+ levels are completed and I'm getting into what I consider to be the ball busting levels of the game. I can tell things are getting harder too because I'm having a hell of a time on some of these stages. Keeping those little mini-Marios alive can be a major pain sometimes.

Anyway, has anyone else here been compelled to go ahead and earn all the stars? Anyone open up all of the bonus levels?

I'm currently at the end of the 5th world (the lemming type stage), and I do go back to older levels to try and get all the stars. I think I have all the stars from the first two worlds. Doing so also increases your player lives... I have over 40.

I haven't had a chance to play it in quite some time, but I have all of the stars through Level 3. I'm not letting myself move forward on any level until I get the star for that level. I'm not sure why I'm doing it, because I'm not typically a "100%-type" gamer.

Glen

• 7 months later...

Just finished the game, including all the "plus" levels and the final battle with the big ape.

I made no effort to collect all the stars, and as a result I have less than 20, but it definitely gives me a reason to pop the game back in from time to time.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish. It was just the right difficulty to keep me playing, but not so easy that I didn't have to think and plan. Some of the levels were very clever in design.

There was definitely some resemblance to Lemmings, and something about those electric shock thingies brought back memories of a TMNT game (not sure which one) and one of my all time favorites: The Lost Vikings.

I played and beat the first expert level. I'm going to love collecting the stars to unlock the rest of them.

Definitely a keeper for me.

Carlos.