LCVG

Gato, from Spectrum Holobyte

Robot Monkey

The 50 Most Influential topic reminded me of this game I played back in the day. Gato came out in 1984 and is one of the earliest military simulation I remember.

I know Microsoft Flight Simulator predates it by 2 years, but IIRC, you could only zoom around and shoot things in the dogfight mode. Gato gave you missions, damage control and so on.

Any of you remember this game?

-j

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Apr 27 2004, 12:29 PM

Oh, yeah... those 4 colors were amazingly life like.

Man, kids today don't know how good they have it.

Heck, half of the instructions back then were, "Aim at the Box, and shoot it with the box"

No kidding! Heck, it was a while before I thought in terms of "Man, one day water will look like water!" I had an early soundcard -- the Adlib sound board -- and people would come to watch me play Red Storm Rising just to hear the "amazing" sound.

-j

Oh, I remember the debate between getting an Adlib and one of the original Sound Blaster cards.

I could go on forever about how people should appreciate how well games run today... even when they crash.

We could spend hours of time just to optimize the DOS memory just to Front Page Sports Football Pro, without a boot disk.

Glen

Best way to sidestep CGA though? Own a Tandy :).

I had a 1000EX for my first home PC and damn if it wasn't sweet. The problem was the sound on the Tandy was so damn good that I never had a clue what people were bitching about PC sound for.

Then I got a new computer.

Then I knew :shock:.

We could spend hours of time just to optimize the DOS memory just to Front Page Sports Football Pro, without a boot disk.

Yeah, but a good boot disk was a godsend. I had a wicked universal one done up that could run any bloody thing I asked it to :).