LCVG

Video Game Emulators

HellzViolator

Anyone here use the emulators for the old games? One of my friends has more games then I ever thought came out all through these emulators. I decided to look up on it and downloaded a couple myself but it seems like MAC is limited to all the good stuff like that! I cant even play Gunbound because all the sources run for Windows. But I read up on some program that kind of inverts your MAC into reading WINDOWS based programs... So all these emulators for SNES, Genesis, etc. and I cant use not one, so I was wondering if anyone uses them for a MAC and to lend me a hand trying to figure out how to use it...

Just a polite reminder guys, no ROM talk or otherwise stuff about getting round copyright. Emulators are wonderful things, but ROM hunting is still illegal, and we don't want the site in trouble.

Unfortunately, I've not yet got the courage to buy the fancypants Powerbook that I keep drooling over, so I can't help with recommending Mac software.

Just to follow up on what iain said about copyrights, I do want to point out this passage from the Terms of Use page (which you can find at the bottom of each page on this forum):

You are prohibited from posting on or transmitting through the Service any unlawful... or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

Carry on!

JJ,

What you are looking for is VirtualPC by Microsoft. It allows you to run a Windows session on your MacOS computer. Its not cheap, but it works. There is also a cheaper, ie free, soultion in the works that is a port of Wine to the MacOS X.

Actually, some of use use the likes of ScummVM or the Spectrum, Amiga and Playstation emulators where you don't even need ROMs, but can play the originals. Actually, in the case of the Amiga games you need to rip your own disk images on your regular real machine (having done so it now lives in a cupboard, poor thing), but its the next best thing if you don't want to play the naughty ROM finding game.

edit - and yes - playing Spectrum games by loading them via the soundcard is an 'interesting' way to spend an afternoon...