LCVG

Digital Camera & photos of TV

Dan B.

Hey all. I'm borrowing a friend's digital camera & am trying to take pictures off the TV screen. I've got it so-so after playing around with it, but are there any tips from someone who knows something about photography? I haven't got a clue.

The camera is a Kodax DX 3900 if that's any help, & I'm wondering what kind of lighting to use in the room & how the heck to set up the camera, etc.

There's an example of my best effort so far in my sig. The raw full size picture looks like this:

http://webpages.charter.net/danb/Picture009.jpg

Is that how it's supposed to look at that size? (it looks much better on the TV)

Linkie no workie.

I don't think pointing a camera at the screen is the best way to take screenshots, but from what you've got I'd say you're not doing too shabby.

It's late so the best I can come up with is to use a tripod. That'll help steady things up.

You should just experiment with the settings and the lighting conditions to see what works best. It's likely different on every camera.

Linkie no workie.
Hmm, dunno why not, it should be.

I'm using a tripod already. The camera's only a few feet away from the screen...I don't know if that's the best way to do it or not? I know nothing about taking pictures, but want to capture some images when the home theater is completed...one of these days. :roll:

I think this is a fairly inexpensive camera that's a few years old; that's probably going to limit the quality as well but I was hoping someone had some advice on aperture/ISO/& all those other things that I have no idea what to do with, as taking a picture off the TV in a dark room with no flash seems to be particularly challenging.

I'm not an expert by any measure, and you may be doing some of these things already but here's some tips:

Shoot freeze frames only (if possible), otherwise you may get bits of two different frames blended in one picture. My projector has a freeze function, so I can have it hold an image on-screen for as long as I need...maybe your TV has this too.

Take multiple shots of every image you want, try to figure out how to adjust the f-stop. Most cameras (AFAIK) will allow you to force the exposure above and below the f-stop the camera sets automatically (you should see a button with a +/- on it somewhere, this will push the f-stop up or down).

Take several exposures of each image you want to shoot, each with a different f-stop setting (again, both above and below the one the camera automatically sets). The camera is doing it's best to interpret what you want, but it may be wrong, by taking multiple exposures at different f-stops you are ensuring that at least one of the exposures will be close to what you are after.

Does that make any sense?

Judging by the image you posted, there's a hot spot in the middle where it's brighter. If you know photoshop you can probably fix that, or you can try moving the camera around.

One thing to keep in mind is that with most digital cameras (under $1000) the main weakness is the lens, especially out in the periphery, so try some shots from further away so most of what you want in nearer the center of the lens and not way out at the edges.

Dan, I opened your file in Photoshop and tried to compensate for the hot-spot in the middle:

Picture009-2-sm.jpg

Click on the image to get a full sized version (keep in mind it's a 100% quality JPEG so it's 2.6 MB!)

EDIT: I made a second pass at the image in photoshop, and uploaded it...I brightened up the license plate and the driver. I also denoised the image slightly.

Thanks for the tips Ed. The camera has these settings, nothing says F-stop specifically:

Exposure Compensation:

+ or -

White Balance:

Auto

Daylight

Tungsten

Flourescent

Exposure Metering:

Multi-Pattern

Center Weighted

Center Spot

ISO Speed:

Auto

Shutter Speed:

.7" to 16"

Close Up/Distant Mode

...plus various color & sharpness type adjustments.

PS The picture you tweaked has a bit of red-tinted graininess on my monitor anyways, but I will try to play around with the photos in Photoshop too-that's a good idea.

Exposure Compensation:

+ or -

This is what you want. You should be able to use the +/- (possibly in combination with a wheel or similar control) to shift the exposure up and down. When you shift it a readout on the camera should say somthing like f2.8 +.5 or something like that, which means that the camera is using an f-stop of 2.8 and you are telling it to add .5 to that.

f-stop is basically a number that represents how much light the camera is letting in through it's iris. A small number means a small opening = less light. A large number is a larger opening = more light.

I would leave the ISO on auto, you don't want to change too many parameters at once, kind of like if you want to find out the effect of an anti-roll bar in a racing game, you really only want to change that and not mess with other parameters which could confuse the issue.

PS The picture you tweaked has a bit of red-tinted graininess on my monitor anyways, but I will try to play around with the photos in Photoshop too-that's a good idea.

Yeah, because I can't see the source material (the image on your TV) I don't know what true color is, so you can try to fix that in PS.

Gotcha! Thanks much, I will try tweaking the exposure.

Do you think I should have light in the room or not? (since it's rear-projection I have to watch for reflections on the screen) I do have a back-light behind the TV that I use as well, dunno if that will help or not.