LCVG

Progressive scan dashboard

The Daisy

I totally forgot that I can use this upgrade!!! I just blew off this feature thinking it was only for the people who's sets only have progressive HD inputs. Because my set accepts both 480i and 480p, it totally escaped my attention that I can upgrade to progessive dashboard also. :oops:

I'll try it out tonight.

J.

quick rider for this, unfortunately. The one thing they haven't done is enable prog scan on PAL machines with the change, despite the fact that those with modchips will be aware that PAL boxes are technically capable of doing it when running at 60Hz.

My only problem is that it doesn't send out the anamorphic signal flag anyway, like it does in 480i. My HDTV is 4:3, but with the auto-compression, I've got the xbox set up to be widescreen. Since there's no flag, I have to manually turn on the anamorphic compression. Oh well.

It's definitely an excellent example for the benefits of progressive scan though. You immediately see that added variety of black levels you get by going progressive, since black is at 0 IRE instead of 7.5 like on NTSC 480i signals.

He was wrong. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought a progressive DVD player. Some DVD players have a black level adjustment feature though, where you can change the black level down to 0 IRE. This'll work over s-video and composite as well. Matter of fact, I have an s-video cable running out of my DVD players as well (so I can PIP a 480p game and 480i DVD at the same time) and the black level, with the black level setting turned on, is indeed ) IRE. It's pretty easy to tell. You can also watch the Xbox dashboard get noticably darker when you switch from 480i to 480p, both of which would be over the same cables.