LCVG

What if....

dogbert

Would have to depend on the nature of the support, I'd think.

You'd have to walk a careful line too, because I'm sure the userbase would cry foul if they thought those games were being "used" to foist the HD on people in order to play them properly.

I mean, look at RE:Outbreak. That game doesn't REQUIRE a hard drive, but reportedly you are in for a much lesser gaming experience if you don't have one. If they did that with GTA and/or GT, I would suspect there'd be some blowback.

I think Mark is right about there being a fine-line, I guess the challenge is to find where the line is. My suspicion is that you could get away with having more of the game depend on the HD with the two games you mentioned than with Resident Evil if only because GTA and GT are both notorious PS2 system-sellers...my number one want when I bought a PS2 was GT3A (which turned out to be somewhat disappointing, but I still bought the PS2).

If it meant getting 20 more tracks, and 100 more cars in GT, I can see fans of the game forking over the cash to get the HD. (Cue Sam P!). I'm not sure those numbers are realistic though, given the development time that would go into the extra content...weighed against the risk of it flopping.

EDIT: After seeing Carlo's post, it occurred to me that they might ask players to pay for the extra content, which would make the HD a tougher sell given that you'd have to buy the HD in order to pay for the extra content.

What if GTA:San Andreas & Gran Turismo had extensive support for the PS2 Harddrive.... Do you think it'd boost the uptake of the (notoriously low uptake) peripheral?

Brian, are you trying to tell us a rumor you're hearing? -or am I reading too far into this post?

And it really does speed up Res Evil.

Aint that the truth. The difference between 15 second or 3 second load times. Substantial is an understatement. Of course Brians point or question is would GTA, *THE* franchise of this generation be the one to really get the HDD out there to PS2 owners.

I think it would. I think if anyone can make a peripheral that can break into the mass market it is Sony and with the selling power of GTA behind it who knows what they can accomplish. Before that can happen however the FFXI bundle needs to go and the HDD needs to be made available separately ASAP.

Originally posted by dogbert@Apr 26 2004, 05:45 PM

What if GTA:San Andreas & Gran Turismo had extensive support for the PS2 Harddrive.... Do you think it'd boost the uptake of the (notoriously low uptake) peripheral?

I suppose first Sony would have to offer the HDD by itself and not bundled with Final Fantasy XI. Speaking of which, when will this happen? Has a date been announced yet?

As for the question at hand, I think there are certainly some fans would get the HDD if either Gran Turismo or Grand Theft Auto supported it. However, I don't think there's any way the vast majority of PS2 owners will ever bother with it. No matter how many extra features an add-on device allows for, most people either don't care about those extra features or are turned off because they think it's scam for these video game companies to part them with their money.

Personally, I think it would increase the sales of the hardcore fans with money to burn... but that wouldn't be the kind of numbers we're talking about.

Downloadable content or faster load times is not the killer app that is going to make people purchase a $100 add-on to a 4 year old system. Online play might help, but that would then require the purchase of another peripheral as well, and the masses are not really the ones playing online anyway.

Whatever they do, if something with GTA requires the HDD, I think it may just piss people off more than anything else.

Another point against the HDD is that the X-Box costs less than the PS2, and it already comes with a hard drive. One that does quite a bit more than the PS2's currently.

I think that's one of the bigger obstacles to getting the hard drive accepted, regardless of what games support it, because you're adding limited use peripherals on to a product and it's not exactly a cheap upgrade on top of the already most expensive system.

Peripherals are just that, things that are on the periphery. If it isn't installed in the base system then it will have limited acceptance, period.

Those two titles could sell more Harddrives, but I don't think it would be a substantial amount more. The price would have to be right, and the FFXI bundle would have to be only an option. I would consider the PS2 harddrive if I don't have to buy FFXI and there are games that will support it in a good way (downloadable content, game saves).

-Dean-

I would guess that it would sell more of the HDD's if this were to come to pass.

My opinion is that Sony should really kick it into gear with it's developers so that they could use the HD for all of the upcoming PS2 games.

Personally, I've run out of memory card space on my 2 PS2 cards, and would consider the HD if I knew that all of the upcoming games would use it as the storage medium.

Just my opinion.

Glen

A tad off topic, but how much do you think the HDD would drop without FFXI? I can't imagine that they are charging you much for the game as I'm sure Square and Sony have a bit of a deal going on and Square is probably counting on making up for it with subscriptions.

If it were to drop by even $20 w/o FFXI, I'd be surprised.

Personally, I've run out of memory card space on my 2 PS2 cards, and would consider the HD if I knew that all of the upcoming games would use it as the storage medium.

Technically Glen all games "support" the HD in regards to saves. As in you can move any and all saves off of your memory cards and store them on the HDD. You simply can't directly save to the HDD is all.....

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting ideas.

I don't think it will really upset people if players can't obtain the full GT or GTA experience unless a HDD was purchased. Most people can live without the extras. For the masses, they just want to play them because their friends play them and talk about how cool they are. They are looking for a casual piece of entertainment.

Think of other peripherals. Since GT was brought up, I think that the Logitech Steering Wheel is a pertinent example. They are created in conjunction with the game, there is specific software and calibration for it and overall, it works pretty damn well and completes the Gran Turismo experience. The majority didn't need this wheel. They knew their GT3 experience was incomplete but it didn't bother them any.

I think that so long as they can play the games, regardless of how fully they experience it, people won't have much problem with the existence of HDD-only content. The people who buy the Logitech wheels will be the same ones buying the HDD.

If it meant getting 20 more tracks, and 100 more cars in GT, I can see fans of the game forking over the cash to get the HD. (Cue Sam P!).

Hehe. :)

If the extra content doesn't do much, then I wouldn't bother with the hard drive.

If the extra content is really substantial, though, and makes the game look poor without it, then I'll most likely pass on both games completely though - GTA:SA will make it to the PC after 6 months just like the last two, and probably make it to the XBox eventually as well. GT4 would be rather disappointing to lose, but Prologue runs ok without the drive, and if my experience is going to be cut down anyway, I might as well have the cheap one.