LCVG

Linksys Router Problems

blackcalx

For a little under a week now I've been having connection issues. This time it is not the cable modem, but the router. Ever two hours or so I will lose outbound connectivity with the Internet. The cable modem remains connected.

What I've noticed in the last couple of days is that by removing and replacing the power cord on my Linksys BEFSR41 router I regain connectivity every time.

I am at the highest available firmware and cannot think of what to try next. Do I have a bad router? Is Comcast playing tricks on my home network in order to scare up that extra $5 per IP?

Any and all help is appreciated.

EDIT: :bang:

Wow, I have the same router and have been experiencing the same problem, though not quite as frequently, and it has been in the last week or so. I thought it was just a quirk with my ISP (Earthlink).

I've been doing the ol' power on/off reset and it fixes it every time.

Hopefully, the Pros from Dover (bonus points if you get the movie reference) will hip us both to a fix.

Carlos.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm not on the receiving end of some kind of denial-of-service attack. I've noticed that my activity indicator on the modem is going crazy even with no traffic going out.

I've read about old exploits that have to do with the remote web access utility but the last known one was supposed to have been corrected after version 1.42 of the firmware. I'm now running version 1.45.7.

I'll do some more searching and see what I can find.

Oh, and I think the movie reference is M*A*S*H, but I can't be certain.

Have you installed or starting using any new applications lately? When I built my new PC I was running a plug in for AOL IM called Dead AIM that would constantly boot my PC off the network (I'm using the same router you are). My cable modem and other PC's were still fine, but for some reason that little plug in kept booting me off. Simple fix, I removed Dead AIM from my system and all is well :)

Now that you mention it I started having problems as soon as I installed Xfire, the gamer messenger system. I just downgraded to an earlier BIOS at the suggestion of a few websites and I'm going to monitor the situation. If it doesn't clear up I'll uninstall Xfire to see how things do.

Thanks!

EDIT: It's worth noting that both of my PCs and the Xbox lose the connection when this happens, so it's not specific to my machine.

Oh, and my wife's computer had some wierd toolbar install itself about a week ago and tons of pop-ups came along with it. I ran Ad-Aware and got rid of it, and haven't seen it since. I suppose the possibility exists that something might still be there messing with me.

Originally posted by blackcalx@Apr 26 2004, 10:46 PM

EDIT: It's worth noting that both of my PCs and the Xbox lose the connection when this happens, so it's not specific to my machine.

My servers sit on a different switch than my main PC. I never tried turning on my Xbox when it happened, I would just instantly reboot the router.

I reverted to the 1.44.2z BIOS on the router and haven't had a dropped connection on either PC since. I might play around with the latest BIOS and no Xfire to see if I have a similar, stable environment but for now at least the frustration is gone.

Carlucci, I would suggest trying that version of the BIOS to see if it helps you out.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed a firmware version dated 6/4 available here. (1.45.11)

I'm going to try it for a while to see how it goes. For the record, I was too lazy to figure out how to revert back to the old firmware, so I was just living with the problem all this time. :oops:

Hopefully, this new firmware will fix it too!

Carlos.

I have a few older firmware versions that I could send to you. Email me at gmail and I'll happily send you what I have.

In other news I also installed the new firmware and I think I had my first disconnect last night. I noticed when I awoke this morning that Trillian was completely disconnected, something that hasn't happened for awhile. I'll have to keep a close eye on it, but I may end up going back to 1.44.2z.

Up until recently I haven't had a single problem with my Linksys. With the older firmware I'm back to seamless operation. I'm not sure if the recent problems are due to the router, or certain applications. Xfire seemed particularly incompatible with the Linksys.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, my Linksys BEFSX41 has been acting up a bit lately. It's a similar model, but it has additonal security such as packet scaning. I upgraded to a newer bios a few months ago and it seems to be more problematic. Where can I find older bios versions? Linksys only has the latest listed.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Carlucci@Jun 25 2004, 05:04 PM

I just noticed a firmware version dated 6/4 available here. (1.45.11)

I'm going to try it for a while to see how it goes. For the record, I was too lazy to figure out how to revert back to the old firmware, so I was just living with the problem all this time. :oops:

Hopefully, this new firmware will fix it too!

Carlos.

Carlos- Is your connection still good with that version of the firmware? I just upgraded to 1.46 and it just aint working right.

Actually, I went to the version that Shawn gave me, and I was very happy with it for a long time.

Recently, I started noticing some really quick hiccups happening, but I'm not sure if it's the router or just my internet connections.

Here's the symptom: With MSN messenger set to automatically log me in, I was noticing that it was logging me in quite frequently, as if I had lost my connection and then very quickly re-established it. Also on my taskbar icons it would say "network connection lost", but just as quickly would re-establish.

Then 2 weeks ago I tried to play Halo over XBC and it was disastrous, and for Rainbow Six, I kept dropping out. My DSLReports tests have been all over the place-sometimes great, sometimes terrible.

So I upgraded to the newer version from the Linksys site and it seems to have helped some. Rainbow Six is fine. Had a problem with a little lag in my NFL game against Ajay. I haven't tried XBC for Halo again.

If you want to try the older firmware I got from Shawn, give me your email and I'll send it to you tonight when I get home.

Carlos.