LCVG

Worldwide PS2 Network Adapters shipped numbers

The Daisy

Well, honestly I still don't think peripherals will sell.

A broadband connector is an exception versus a rule, because people see that there is a wide online gaming community out there. The PC has it, we can vouch it won't dry up and blow away. Games that use it will continue to come.

I think the EyeToy would be a far more interesting peripheral to follow in terms of success if we're planning to retire the 'peripheral rule' :). That's just my two bits though.

And yes, usage stats are a big thing. How many people bought the adapter, played Socom with asshats once, then never used it again? Heck, how often do people in this very forum go online?

That's a good point Pharm.

I very rarely go online with games. I have all of the adapters to do so, but just never really get around to it.

Half the time for me it becomes the simple issue of I'd like to play Game X, but no one from LCVG is online to play that game. I really don't like venturing into the 'realm of the damned' to play with some loser who'll just drop out at the sign of losing. Heck if I want that kind of gaming experience, I can just reset the system if I'm losing. :)

Glen

Well, 2.8M + 0.2M + 0.5M = 3.5M adapters sold, 3.5/70 = 0.05 -> 5% of PS2's sold have a network adapter.

I guess I'd have to agree with Pharmboy, that a BBA is a far different beast from a "gee golly whiz"-type peripheral. It's more like a tool, you know multiple games are going to be able to use it (okay, well, not in the Gamecube's case apparently ;)), and there will probably be some variety across them...it just enables games to communicate online. A dance pad, power glove, Steel Battallion controller, Eye Toy, light gun, etc. have relatively "locked in" purposes as to the type of gameplay options they open up.

Originally posted by Ryan FB@Apr 27 2004, 05:04 PM

Well, 2.8M + 0.2M + 0.5M = 3.5M adapters sold, 3.5/70 = 0.05 -> 5% of PS2's sold have a network adapter.

That's old math, Ryan. I get an A for effort (or a crocodile, for you Arrested Development fans). I musta swapped num/den in my head. Anyway...

Five percent is right in line with the old "Under 10% Rule" for accessories that I remember. Not much -- which doesn't seem to make it much of an exception.

As for the online gaming question, we had a poll for hours spent, but not for sessions. I'll run along and make one while I'm waiting for Lucy to get ready to go outside and drop a deuce.

-j