LCVG

Commodore 64 - 30 in 1 TV Games coming?

The Daisy

Info from Slashdot

They had me at Summer Games....

:)

I can't wait to hear the whole 30 game lineup. I'm guessing that they wouldn't have the capability to save your high scores in the game though. I remember when I set my 100M record, I was so happy with that score. I'm pretty sure that the record that I set still hasn't been broken in the "actual" world.

Another thing to be worried about is the quality of the joystick. I went through tons of Commodore sticks on my old system, just due to the fact that you had to beat the heck out of them on some of the games.

Glen

Wow, this looks great! The C-64 was my first real computer, we got it when I was about 4 or 5 years old (we had an Intellivision by that point as well). I played the hell out of the C-64...I remember waiting 6 minutes for my Frogger cassette tape (!) to load and how excited I was when we got a floppy drive for Christmas. And YES, I went through a lot of joysticks. Good times...I spent a whole lot of my hard earned money over the next 7-8 years buying games for that thing. I wish I still had it. :(

Winter Games!

ROCK and ROLL!

The hot-dogging competition and the barrel jump were awesome (wait, barrel jump was World Games, wasn't it?). That's some of the best joystick-thrasing-based gameplay around.

Here's hoping for some multiplayer options.

Epyx has a lot of great little titles lying around. Impossible Mission and the classic cheeze of Breakdance come to mind immediately ;).

Hard Hat Mack is probably unlikely since EA has rights on that, do they not? I mean it was theirs originally and I can't see them doling them out for a non-EA product.

:shock:

Impossible Mission

Archon (I think that was what it was called..chess type game)

Sweetness. :D

I can also remember abusing several Atari joysticks for my C-64 gaming. :lol:

*edit*

OMG Stencil!!! :shock: Loderunner...was that where you dug the little holes and guys were chasing you all over the screen? That was such a cool game! I'd love to see that included!

Guest Bryan

I recently dug out some old C64 games and gave them a whirl. Some of my favorites include RingSide Seat Boxing (SSI), MicroLeague Baseball, Pharoah's Curse and Choplifter (Epyx). I'm hopeful the Epyx games will be on the collection.

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Apr 29 2004, 02:18 PM

On the other, slightly more grown-up hand...

Is that the one with hair on the palms?

Well, if hairy palms is a sign of insanity, then its definitely not the hand that rightly regards the Spectrum as superior to the Commieshit!

Its amazing how I can be all sensible and platform-neutral with the current generation, and yet still not drop this argument after 20 years.

At least the Commie had a keyboard & no colour clash...

;)

I had a C64 first, loved it, hated the Speccy, then my sister decided to bathe my machine in orange juice or something, breaking it beyond repair (allegedly, but I'll get back to that). Six months later my parents bought me a secondhand Speccy because it was cheap. I had turned to the Dark Side & began to realise how dumb platform wars were...

That C64 was put in for repair at a local repair shop before I got the Speccy, and they claimed it was unrepairable. About 8 years later (I think), my dad got a call from someone who had bought the shop & was clearing out cupboards as our name/address was still attached to it. Turns out the machine /did/ still work & I got it back, working, 8 years later :) It's boxed up back in Scotland with a whole bunch of tapes & the diskdrive (and disks) that I bought from a mate when he "grew out" of games - I'd envied that diskdrive for years as it was way more money than my folks could afford.

• 1 month later...
Well, if hairy palms is a sign of insanity, then its definitely not the hand that rightly regards the Spectrum as superior to the Commieshit!

Its amazing how I can be all sensible and platform-neutral with the current generation, and yet still not drop this argument after 20 years.

I was gonna say, your comments look like they could fit into any of today's forums if you replaced Spectrum and Commieshit with XBOX/PS2/Gamecube. :shock: :D

As far as I can remember (I was five at the time), there was no such platform war here in the USA. I never had heard of a Spectrum, none of my friends had one, etc. C-64s and Apple 2Es were the battle of the day, and I don't think anyone really could argue that the C-64 wasn't superior to the Apple (and understandably, being released several years after it). I think the Spectrum phenominon was a highly Euro-centric affair.

All I know is I loved my C-64 to death and yes, I *BOUGHT* a hell of a lot of games at the time for $30-50 a pop, which was a fortune to a 6-12 year old. I pirated my share too though. :D

Last I checked, Loderunner was property of Sierra, who obtained rights from Broderbund or bought them or something along those lines.

M.U.L.E. was an EA title and is about as likely to pop up as Hard Hat Mack. Now, maybe I'm wrong here, but this is huge, huge corporation EA here, I doubt highly that they're prepared to let those properties appear on joe-blow joystick.

Which is a shame, if 4-player M.U.L.E. was out there I would never be seen again. The ultimate four-player title for me.

I think the Spectrum phenominon was a highly Euro-centric affair.

Completely & utterly. Timex licenced & launched the Sinclair hardware in the US to a niche market, never making the impact the machine had in the UK.

I've ranted & raved about the machine's impact before, but I'll say it again - it was at a price that the lower than "average" family could afford so put computing & gaming in the hands of "regular" people. Consoles remained a niche in the UK, apart from the good old Atari2600, until the likes of the Genesis - the Master System did well, the NES was almost nonexistant. Home computers ruled, sparked by the Spectrum & the BBC.

Archon and M.U.L.E. are two games that both need to be re-released with the same core gameplay, maybe fancy up the graphics a bit, and then have online multiplayer added in.

I know I sound like a broken record when I say that about M.U.L.E. but now I am adding Archon into the mix as well, that game was indeed awesome.