LCVG

First screens of Colin McRae '05

Romier S

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to General Discussion as '05 is coming for the Xbox and PS2. Here is a piece of the TeamXbox report:

Set to be revealed at this year's E3 Expo (May 12-14, Los Angeles), Colin McRae Rally 2005 takes the series forward with a massive multi-event Career Challenge and introduces online head-to-head rallying, for up to 8 players, on both Xbox and PlayStation 2.

Also on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/29/news_6094827.html

Each of the cars in the game will boast its own unique damage model, and players will even experience a "dazed" visual effect after they crash.

What's this game all about?

Well you see there are these cars...and well they race around these tracks. Just kidding, couldn't help it :D .

Seriously though John, Colin is pretty much considered *THE* Rally Racing simulation game out there. You can read up on the review for '04 here to get an idea of what the game is all about:

Colin McRae '04 Review

Codemaster's was pretty well telegraphing their intentions with TOCA being online, but I'm still ecstatic about this.

One peeve: It looks to me like they are faking up depth-of-field in all of those screenshots. The two most obvious examples are this one and this one. The give away is the dark halo around the rear end of the car...that's an artifact if running a gaussian blur in photoshop with the car masked out...the gaussian algorithm affects some of the pixels from inside the mask.

I know it's nit-picking, but stuff like this bothers me.

Oh well, the game will still rock...

Doesn't matter what they charge for this, I'm all over it.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

the DOF effects are great generally, its just that they've not done them in a way to avoid artifacts at the edge of them, unfortunately. Still, until I see this moving I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as to if it will look all right while playing.

I'm still bitter that it will cost around twice as much in the UK compared to the US, if this year's Codies titles are anything to go by.

Originally posted by hollismb@Apr 29 2004, 11:18 AM

What, you don't like depth of field effects? They look great in the screenshots of star wars battlefront too. Heck, there's even a little bit of it in PGR2, if I'm not mistaken.

No, he doesn't like Photoshopped depth of field effects. It's fine if it's in game, but he's pointing out that it looks like they simply altered the screenshot after the fact. Which would royally suck if true.

Yeah, it's the fact that they used photoshop to create them. I'm about 90% sure that's how it was done.

Maybe it is representative of how the game will actually look, but IME that is rare.

Again, I'm a huge fan of CMR, and Codemaster's work in general, and I know I will love this game.

I'm still bitter that it will cost around twice as much in the UK compared to the US, if this year's Codies titles are anything to go by.

Honestly, if it came out here at the same time it did there, I'd happily pay $50 for it. The discounted price makes having to wait 3-4 months a little easier.

If they have that DOF effect in-game I'm going to join the whole rally movement here on LCVG and pick up a copy. That's an almost freaky level of 3D given to those screenshots. If it's representative of what the game feels like that's great.

I'm actually 100% sure they did DOF with Photoshop blur now. Look at the third screen above, with the 'grass' in the foreground. Look at the stalks of grass to the far left and right, they are blurry near the bottom, sharp in the middle, then the taller ones get super blurry again as they rise into the middle part of the image.

They should not get blurry at the top, but they do because the person doing the photoshop work didn't mask them out from the blurred part of the image (but they did mask out the tree above the car). Also note that the one stalk that is right in front of the car is not blurred.

I came back into this thread to show what can be done in 5 minutes of work on a CMR4 screenshot.

Original

My fake DOF version

I hate to make this the focus of the tread, but stuff like this bugs me, it's almost like false advertising. I see this again and again for all kinds of games, and rarely anyone called on it.

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Apr 29 2004, 07:38 PM

You mean like this?:

motion blur

I'm sure Camp can correct me, but I think he's after an idea as to if its practical to do in-game-engine. I'd imagine so, but it can't be easy to do right - you'd need to sample pixels that would be near to the blurred ones if only there wasn't a foreground object in the way.

On the other hand, texture filtering already does this to some extent, so its bound to be possible.