LCVG

Batman Begins- New Pictures on Official Site

JoeyN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Failsafe@May 2 2004, 11:26 AM

Here's hoping for a return to form like Burton's two films.

I disagree. I'm hoping that we get a Batman film. I like a lot of Burton's work and enjoyed aspects of the first two films very much. But I didn't think they were particularly good and certainly weren't "Batman" films.

I still chuckle when I picture Michael Keaton, immobilized in what looks like 200 pounds of rubber, saying "I'm Batman." Like a lot of people, I picture Batman as fast, powerful and physically imposing. Not a small feller laboriously trying to even turn his head, but a collection of shadows insinuating himself upon the night.

-j

That's my problem with those movies. The Batsuit is too heavy for anything. It always seems very obvious to me that the person in it can lumber but do nothing fluidly.

As Jay noted, Batman is supposed to be able to move. I mean, we know Bruce Wayne has multiple martial arts at his command, but he could NOT pull that off in the outfit. I think the low-watt endings to the Batman films bespeaks that.

For my money, the animated series from the 90s is the singular best depiction of Batman outside of the comics. Though Return of the Joker is probably my favorite Batman movie :).

I'm looking forward to this new flick though, that being said. I'm always willing to give a franchise another chance. And Batman & Robin is great fun if you're in the mood to watch something truly crap ;).

I don't think any of the Batman actors so far has captured the psychosis of Batman. He is the embodiment of vengeance and vigilante-ism (if that's a word). The law has no meaning to Batman. He saw his parents killed before his very eyes. He acts like a millionaire playboy during the day as Bruce Wayne but at night, he brings criminals to justice by any means necessary. I think the movies tend to portray Batman like he's a normal superhero like Superman, saving people's lives. That's how you end up with "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Forever". Without his psychosis, Batman becomes just some guy in a costume (with nipples no less). I'm hoping that the new Batman movie will portray this. I know that Christian Bale is certainly capable of pulling off psychosis (see American Psycho, Equilibrium). Criminals will fear this Batman.

The first Batman movie kind of briefly dealt with this side of Batman but it seemed to be more of an afterthought to production design and big sets.

In regards to the Batman costume, I'm hoping they follow the comics. This is Batman, not Iron Man. He shouldn't have a protective suit of armor. He should rely on his physical prowess and martial arts skills for defense (at most, he should only have body armor to protect his vital organs). I believe part of the reason why the original design of the costume in the first Batman movie was so bulky was to hide the fact that Michael Keaton wasn't very physically imposing.

Another pet peeve with the Batman movies-- the ease with which people seem find out Batman's secret identity. Reporters, psychologists, teenagers, crazy villains... everyone and their mother seemed to find out Batman's secret identity. This needs to go along with the bat nipples.

If anyone can resurrect this ailing franchise, it's Bale and Nolan.

The first Batman movie kind of briefly dealt with this side of Batman but it seemed to be more of an afterthought to production design and big sets.

And IMO Michael Keaton is not the actor to bring you the kind of character you described. He's just not intimidating (although he was freakishly scary in Beetlejuice, that's not quite the same thing).

Originally posted by Masta Red Snappa+May 6 2004, 08:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Masta Red Snappa @ May 6 2004, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> In regards to the Batman costume, I'm hoping they follow the comics. This is Batman, not Iron Man. He shouldn't have a protective suit of armor. He should rely on his physical prowess and martial arts skills for defense (at most, he should only have body armor to protect his vital organs). [/b]

They've got to give him at least some body armour:

<!--QuoteBegin-"The Dark Knight Returns@ p51"

--Magnum load has to be--

Hits me like a Freight Train--

The plate holds--

--Why do you think I wear a target on my chest--

Can't armor my head--

Left arm numb--

--If it's a heart attack I'm finished--

...A Fine Death. But there are the thousands to think of...

...And Harvey...

...I have to know.

Sometimes I forget just how good that book is.

Originally posted by Masta Red Snappa@May 6 2004, 03:00 PM

I don't think any of the Batman actors so far has captured the psychosis of Batman.

Driven, hard to understand, sometimes on the edge; but I'm not sure I like the "psychosis" tag. I feel like a lot of writers used that as a crutch post-DKR.

I want more detective, like in Azzerello's amazing Batman/Deathblow.

-j

Sometimes I forget just how good that book is.
I do as well. Having come up with a logical explaination for the yellow & black bat logo Batman's chest is just one of the many reason why Miller's story rules. Too bad the sequel fell apart badly & was a huge disappointment to me.

I don't think any of the Batman actors so far has captured the psychosis of Batman. He is the embodiment of vengeance and vigilante-ism (if that's a word). The law has no meaning to Batman. He saw his parents killed before his very eyes. He acts like a millionaire playboy during the day as Bruce Wayne but at night, he brings criminals to justice by any means necessary. I think the movies tend to portray Batman like he's a normal superhero like Superman, saving people's lives. That's how you end up with "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Forever". Without his psychosis, Batman becomes just some guy in a costume (with nipples no less).

I don't quite agree here. On the contrary,the law does hold some meaning for him. There is a reason why he works closely with Gordon & the Gotham PD (going by the comics here,not the past films). Also,Batman doesn't kill or use a gun. I do agree that the Wayne persona is just a facade for the Batman - it is his driving force to see justice done. But he also cares about people & saving lives.

That, & the fact that he has no superpowers makes him all the more appealing as a character. i do think Bale is a good casting choice(actually the whole main cast looks stellar), & that Nolan can pull this off. I have high hopes for this one.

Not only is Bale a great choice to portray Batman/Wayne, but am I correct in saying that Gary Oldman is playing the young James Gordon? :tu:

2005 cannot get here fast enough. If this film is half as good as the comic....we will have the best Superhero movie to date.

-Dean-

I don't quite agree here. On the contrary,the law does hold some meaning for him. There is a reason why he works closely with Gordon & the Gotham PD (going by the comics here,not the past films). Also,Batman doesn't kill or use a gun. I do agree that the Wayne persona is just a facade for the Batman - it is his driving force to see justice done. But he also cares about people & saving lives.

Yes, I think I hyperboled (I'm making up words now) the law thing too much. :oops: I didn't mean to suggest that I thought Batman is some kind of immoral criminal killer. For the law, the ends do not justify the means (e.g. evidence needs to be obtained a certain way even if it is proof someone is guilty, etc.). I think for Batman, the ends do justify the means. I don't think you can be a crime-fighting vigilante without operating, somewhat, outside of the law. I haven't read all the comics so please forgive me if they already touched upon this but it would be interesting to see how the justice system in the comics handles things like coerced confessions obtained by Batman.

Aside from being friends, I think Batman and Chief Gordon's "working" relationship is in part based on what they can do for each other. Batman can help fight crimes in ways that normal police can't. In return, Chief Gordon can overlook the fact that Batman is taking the law into his own hands.

That, & the fact that he has no superpowers makes him all the more appealing as a character.

I agree. Alot of superheroes, like Superman, are basically gods among men. There is of course, a certain nobility and humility in someone god-like taking his or her time to save people's lives. However, I don't think it's nearly as interesting or appealing as someone like Batman, who constantly puts his life on the line despite all the money he has, etc. I think the vigilante aspect also resonates with alot of people who feel that the justice system has failed them and they wish they could take the law into their own hands.

• 6 months later...