LCVG

Xbox Live - Your Worst Noob Moments

Parrish

Having just picked up Project Gotham Racing 2 during the week, I raced on XBL for the first time this weekend. I knew I was in trouble when the kudos ranking of everyone else was in the 30's+ and I was at 1. But I was game so I raced along, and I was doing ok by my standards (not crashing into walls, etc.), but the other guys all finished WELL ahead of me. Then one by one they all left to go to the game lobby. I felt like one of those marathoners that finish the race hours after everyone has left and gone home.

Similarly, I played Crimson Skies with a friend for the first time on XBL a little while back, and at the end of the game, the score leader said something like 'except for so-and-so', this is everyone else's first game online, right!?!?' I felt rather indignant at the accusation then I realized, yes, it WAS. Heh.

Ahh, the price I pay for being a cheap gamer...

Hang around with us, the short bus crew...you'll see lots of amateurish, boneheaded stuff going on.

My noob moment came when I shot poor Joey in RS3. I was on his team and we were about 10 paces away from the spawn point. I panicked and blew his brains out. :green:

Funny how I can never seem to hit the enemy with that kind of accuracy.

Originally posted by Parrish@May 3 2004, 07:57 PM

Ahh, the price I pay for being a cheap gamer...

And for having a life. :)

I look at some of the stats people have (in RS3, for example) and wonder how in the world people can play that much?? I'm lucky to get in a few hours of gaming a month, much less 200+ on one game...

You're right, btw, if you're thinking I am just jealous :green:

One of my first Rainbow Six 3 games with my fellow LCVGers was on the elongated snowy map. I was doing a great job and had taken out four or five people. I had my scope locked in on the head of another enemy, ready to send him to his frozen doom when he moved. I said something to the effect of "Damn, I almost had (insert gamertag)". One of my teammates said something to the effect of "That's me!", which made me realize that I was shooting at the wrong uniform and had sniped all but one of my fellow team members.

Oops.

lol. Nothing is worse when you forget which team your supposed to shoot at. the other night in the garage level i peaked around the corner and saw 2 guys looking at me. Neither of us fired for at least 5-6 seconds. All of a sudden they gunned me down.

capt

Never really had an embarassing n00b moment. Going online and getting obliterated by my opponents doesn't necessarily make me a n00b.

It especially makes me feel better when I go into a room full of kids playing MechAssault and reassure myself that the time they spend every week playing it is equal to my work week. Not to mention that I make more during said work week than all of them combined.

I feel like a drooling toddler anew every time I go to set a mine in SC: PT and instead charge up a grenade and my brain locks and I forget that there is in fact a way to release the charge without shooting the grenade but instead I panic and let go of the trigger and it bounces off a wall and lands at my feet: ColdForged committed suicide.

Or when I miscalculate the shot and bounce a grenade off the wall under a duct instead of in it and instead of bolting away at the speed of light I hit the B button instead and crouch and slink away from the thing which is always a very effective mechanism. :oops:

Yup, Pandora Tomorrow is without a doubt the game requiring the most skill online. I still only know one map, just because I practiced the hell out of it as both a spy and a merc. I played the other night, and was amazed (as a merc) how the spies were totally toying with me, dropping smoke grenades in the perfect spots so there was no way I could catch up to them. Bastards. I need more practice.

Other than your garden variety noob ass whoopin', probably RTCW was the worst.

The game gives you usually 10-15 secs to try out your weapons, switch classes, whatever before you actually start the game. Most people take this time to blow the crap out of each other waiting for the game. On what must have been my 3rd game on my 2nd server ever I decide to take the flamethrower. So I go ahead and start toasting my teammates waiting for the game to begin, drop em all pretty much in 3 seconds. Tons of swearing in the headset, turnd out that server leaves FF on and didn't have a waiting period. :oops: Had to switch servers after that...

I feel like a drooling toddler anew every time I go to set a mine in SC: PT and instead charge up a grenade and my brain locks and I forget that there is in fact a way to release the charge without shooting the grenade but instead I panic and let go of the trigger and it bounces off a wall and lands at my feet: ColdForged committed suicide.

Or when I miscalculate the shot and bounce a grenade off the wall under a duct instead of in it and instead of bolting away at the speed of light I hit the B button instead and crouch and slink away from the thing which is always a very effective mechanism.

Hehe, I do both of those.... usually followed by me saying "Oh shit, I'm dead".... Kaboom... "DrunkOM Committed Suicide".

Originally posted by Snakefish@May 4 2004, 05:34 PM

Most people take this time to blow the crap out of each other waiting for the game. On what must have been my 3rd game on my 2nd server ever I decide to take the flamethrower. So I go ahead and start toasting my teammates waiting for the game to begin, drop em all pretty much in 3 seconds. Tons of swearing in the headset, turnd out that server leaves FF on and didn't have a waiting period. :oops: Had to switch servers after that...

:lmfao:

Thats even funnier than blackcalx's story!! Not that you're a noob for doing it, but I can see myself doing the same thing, and I don't even own that game :green:

I think my biggest source of noob-embarassment was in Crimson Skies, because it's so easy to loose your bearings and forget which way is up. I recall way too many instances of flying directly into buildings or canyon walls, oceans, mountainsides, etc, etc :x

Don't know how many times I have seen the Wolfenstein start of round kills

Too many :green:

Not really a noob moment that I can remember,other than jumping on Mechassault without knowing really how to operate my mech. I learned rather quick,though :)