LCVG

ATi Radeon X800XT-PE and X800Pro Announced

kelley

When it comes right down to it the X800Pro matches or beats the GeForce 6800Ultra in game performance and IQ. Compare the price, performance, and IQ of the ATI Radeon X800Pro with the GeForce 6800Ultra, and the X800Pro definitely stacks up as the better value than the 6800Ultra. NVIDIA is today launching an even higher clocked Ultra, no doubt in response to the X800XT-PE. We have yet to even see a retail 6800Ultra for any of the partners so currently I would consider these a non-issue. Also, a lower clocked 6800GT is being introduced but this card is simply not currnetly going to play in the same ballpark with the X800 series from ATI.

The Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition goes even further and burns through these games like a hot knife through butter, besting NVIDIA?s 6800Ultra by an easily noticeable real-world margin. If the flagship is what you want, be assured the ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition was the top performer allowing us to play today?s demanding games at higher resolution and quality settings than any 3D graphics accelerator we have ever experienced.

Wow! The graphics card world is on fire!

FarCry 1600x1200 4xaa/16xaf

X800XT-PE - 35.7

X800Pro - 28.2

6800Ultra - 15.5

FlightSim 2004 1600x1200 4xaa/16xaf

X800XT-PE - 37

X800Pro - 31

6800Ultra - 35

UT2k4 1600x1200 4xaa/16xaf

X800XT-PE - 48

X800Pro - 46

6800Ultra - 46

The X800Pro is a 12 pixel pipeline video card operating at 475MHz core and 450MHz (900MHz DDR) memory. The X800XT is a 16 pixel pipeline video card operating at 520MHz core and 560MHz (1.12GHz DDR) memory

Oh and they should be on the store shelfs today!

Ok, well...

SOLD

Platinum Edition on May 21st sounds good to me. Far Cry performance, plus the performance when running with AA/AF enabled really sold me on this card. After doing some research, I don't think not haven PS 3.0 will be a hindrance, considering devs haven't even touchd on PS 2.0 that much... yet.

Sure I won't be able to watch the Naru demo, but I think I'll get over it.

It bothers me that ATI really didn't do anything new. Its basically the same old card, less power usage but higher clock speed. Yes it runs some things faster than the new nvidia card, but it doesn't destroy it by any means and doesn't really have any new features. Looks like it is just going to boil down to driver support.

It bothers me that ATI really didn't do anything new.

I don't really need it to do anything new, as developers are still playing catch-up to technologies that were included in the last generation of cards.

What I'm concerned with is running games at 1600x1200 (Since that's the native res. my Dell 2001FP LCD runs), with AA & AF enabled. Mostly FPS games, such as Far Cry and UT2K4, which according to most benchmarks I've been reading, run better on the x800 at hi-res with AA/AF enabled.

I think I'm going to hold onto my current card for right now and buy the refresh. I think the 6800 will be like the TNT was for nVidia.....lots of new features in the original and then when the refresh hits, insanely awesome performance. And don't be fooled, SM3.0 is a BIG deal, with about 5-10 AAA games coming out this year that support it.

Dunno if I should put this in this thread or the nVidia thread (I'll put it in both just to be certain):

Apparently the new drivers that nVidia released (along with their souped up 6800 cards to combat the ATI hype machine) "cheat" in the benchmarks for Far Cry.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=234923

I thought we saw the end of this crap already.

Apparently the new drivers that nVidia released (along with their souped up 6800 cards to combat the ATI hype machine) "cheat" in the benchmarks for Far Cry.

They all do this...ati and nvidia. It doesn't mean any one side is better than the other. In a perfect world the card would just work as fast as it could in all applications but the fact is they've been putting specific application based code in drivers for years and years now. I don't know why people get their panties all in a bunch over this.

I think I'm going to hold onto my current card for right now and buy the refresh. I think the 6800 will be like the TNT was for nVidia.....lots of new features in the original and then when the refresh hits, insanely awesome performance. And don't be fooled, SM3.0 is a BIG deal, with about 5-10 AAA games coming out this year that support it.

After thinking about it more I'm thinking along the same lines. I really want a new machine with one of these cards (haven't decided which yet) but at the same time I want to wait to see what the mid cycle bumps look like.

Looks like Nvidia is countering again with an Extreme version of the new Ultra. The Ultra will be out in late May followed by the Extreme sometime in June.

Linkage

If the Ultra is going to cost $499 I wonder what the Extreme will be selling for? Is anyone who is willing to spend $500 on a card really going to buy anything less then the top of the line version? I wonder where this will leave the "old" Ultra?

Also, for some of the benchmarks in that table I'd argue that it doesn't really matter that much. The Call Of Duty demo played just fine on my GeForce 2, as did UT2K4 at 1024 until I turned AA on, so its more in areas like FarCry that you want to look for significant differences.