LCVG

Rallisport Challenge 2 Discussion

Romier S

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked this up today and I noticed that it appears to be Live Aware, which is nice. Its frustrating when you want to work on single player and can't receive invites, so that gets a big :tu: from me.

It would figure that this comes out the same day as a killer new RS3 map! Apparently, UbiSoft doesn't want us to play anything else.

J.

Originally posted by FLYING SE7EN@May 5 2004, 12:41 PM

Picked this up today and I noticed that it appears to be Live Aware, which is nice. Its frustrating when you want to work on single player and can't receive invites, so that gets a big :tu: from me.

Me too! I also picked it up and read through the manual :shock:

I'm happy to see that there are teams over XSN and not just solo tourneys. Should be great fun to set up some team events here!

Ok, haven't played long, but I just noticed something that really impressed me - I was doing a time attack, and managed to pop one of my doors open. I'm driving with in-car cam, and I can literally hear the the car door flopping around, opening and closing, off to the side. Now that's cool :tu:

Some impressions so far:

The handling seems a lot 'lighter' than RSC1 - I might even go so far as to say twitchy, but not overly so. It's a bit early for me to make an in-depth comparison to CMR4, but my initial feeling is that you don't feel as connected to the track and car in RSC2 as you do in CMR4. This may or may not be because I've only put in an hour in RSC2, since I immediately felt very comfortable in CMR4 after only 20 or 30 minutes.

But this is a self-avowed arcade game and it shows, what the simpler handling model allows is more speed, and I think that was the goal. You can fly around hairpins, whereas in CMR4 you really have to slow down and take more care.

Feathering the throttle is not nearly as big a part of this game, compared to CMR, and from what I can tell, RSC2 has a much narrower range on the trigger...meaning you go from 0 to full throttle just by pulling in slightly on the trigger. The changing surfaces definitely change the feel of the handling, much like in RSC1. What I can't yet get a good feel for is whether there are a variety of types of each surface, like sticky mud vs. wet mud, or wet gravel vs. dry gravel, which was a wekness of RSC1, dirt was dirt, tarmac was tarmac and so on no matter where it was or what condition is was in.

Thankfully, what is probably my biggest gripe about RSC1 has been addressed. The tracks have a lot more undulations and irregularities, a hugely welcome change!

The environments are worthy of the hype they have been getting, some of them are jaw-dropping gorgeous (the southwest US being among the best that I've seen thusfar). The weather effects are good, with the notable exception of Fog, which to me looks terrible. It basically floats in front of the screen, drifting this way and that, but it bears no relation to which way you turn, or how fast you're going. It's like a layer of drifting clouds sandwiched between you ad the screen. Luckily it is so far not a common effect. Rain and snow look nice, although so far the snow has been very light, I'll wait to see if it achieves the blizzard conditions that occur in a few CMR stages.

The load times are kind of long, but I guess it's loading a heck of a lot of textures and geometry. You can go into customze car mode while the stage is loading, which is nice, but you can tweak only some of the settings until the stage is finished loading, which is odd and kind of defeats the purpose of letting you do it during loading. For example, you can't change your tires, or anything under 'Suspension' until it's finished.

I think this game will have a wide appeal, it feels quite accesible, the handling is arcadey but not dumbed-down, the career mode starts off really easy (even in Pro mode, Amateur must be a breeze).

I can't wait to get online with this, I foresee many hours of LCVG rally carnage!

Thanks for the impressions Ed.

The game's lack of difficulty has been a common complaint in the reviews, along with the lack of throttle range. There are a lot of different difficulty levels & tracks, so I'm hoping there's a challenge in the single player game - as the original did a good job of it.

I'll have my copy tomorrow, but I think I need to practice for the TOCA tourney instead of playing RSC 2. (of course I'll be up 'til 3 a.m. playing it nonetheless)

Some other things. The sound is just a touch weak overall. Some of the cars sound like leafblowers if you had earmuffs on (could just be the cars I have unlocked so far). On the plus side, you can hear what kind of terrain you're on, gravel has the sound of pebbles being kicked up into the wheel wells, the bad part is that (at least in chase view) this is louder than the car engine. They could learn a thing or two from WRC which did a superb job of using sound to convey details about your traction, here's it's basically a gross indicator of what surface you're driving on. Also the skidding sounds are blah.

The co-driver's voice is so flat! He sounds like a speak-n-spell! Very automated sounding...but overall he does a fine job, with only the occasional late call. And the 'advanced' co-driver uses a number system that's the opposite of CMR4 which throws me off. '1' is 10-degree turn '8' is an 80 degree turn "Square' is a 90-degree.

The live implementation seems excellent. The sole exception being voice. It seems as if you can only talk to the car nearest you, but we were unable to confirm that this was the case or if it was just an error with the voice. The ghost cars work well, they are a touch distracting, but I think I'll get used to it.

I'm starting to get used to the handling, and it's somewhat similar to the first game (although the cars do feel lighter and more 'flickable'), traction is always a kind of guessing game, but you can do things like slam on the brakes and swing the car into a hairpin, which is impossible in CMR4 (for realism's sake) where you will simply keep drifting forward unless you apply some gas. In fact braking may be the single biggest difference between the two games, in CMR brake too hard and you lose control, in RSC2 you can pretty much slam on the brakes at will and maintain control (with some exceptions, like if you drift over a jump in the middle).

I admit that it's fun to be able to whip the car to and fro, but I really do like the challenge in CMR of setting up turns with care and using the accelerator to gain traction at the right moment...that's something that this game just doesn't have, so far (in the cars I've driven). But it is an arcade game.

Oh, and so far I haven't found any evidence that damaging the car does anything to it's performance. I swear that I read this in a few reviews, but I hammered a car good, with the door flopping around, the bumpers torn off, windows tossed, but the car seemed to drive just as well as ever. The damage does look very nice though.

And the 'advanced' co-driver uses a number system that's the opposite of CMR4 which throws me off.
Yeah I noticed that in some of the movies I watched of it. That's gonna be a P.I.T.A.!

I'm pretty sure there are varying degrees of damage depending on the difficulty level. (from what I've heard, I will be choosing the highest difficulty right away, assuming it's not locked anyways...)

Guest Bryan
Originally posted by FreakTornado@May 5 2004, 10:35 PM

my initial feeling is that you don't feel as connected to the track and car in RSC2 as you do in CMR4.

Ed, you took the words right outta my mouth. It feels like that silly driving game where your steering wheel is connected to the car and the road scrolls down in front of you. It seems like you are hurtling forward without regard for the road conditions. I told Jeff and Allen that it felt like the car wasn't really in contact with the ground. The term 'twitchy' came up before you joined us as well.

I must say that early on I am disappointed with the feel of the game versus CMR4 and even TOCA. I hope a few more tracks can change my mind.

Interesting impressions you guys. I'm waiting to hear more before I decide whether to pick this up. I do want to get a Live-enabled racing game to play.

Failsafe just spoke for both of us, I couldn't have said it any better.

I haven't bought an online racing game in some time. Which game would you guys suggest i invest my $$ at this point if I could only choose one?

(I had Midtown Madness but solf it, I have Moto GP 1, but never own GP2. And that's about it for online racing games I own. So any title is game.)

I had been looking forward to RSC2, but now I'm not so sure.

Originally posted by JTello@May 6 2004, 10:56 AM

I had been looking forward to RSC2, but now I'm not so sure.

Exactly. I'm leary about putting down the cash for RSC2 if you guys aren't completely happy and will go back to TOCA in a week or so. CMR4 sounds awesome but there is no online racing feature. Project Gotham 2 seems to have dryed up.

It depends to some extent on what kind of racing game you like. If you like it more 'simmy' (but not full-blown sim like Gran Tourismo) then TOCA will probably be best for you.

But if you prefer more arcade-like games, then RSC might be your thing.

I personally will probably get more out of TOCA than RSC2. But I'm still looking forward to playing through RSC2 and entering some online competitions via XSN.

Originally posted by hollismb@May 6 2004, 12:09 PM

Gotta catch 'em all!!!

PGR2, RSC2, ToCA, MotoGP 2....it's all good!!!

:tu:

Well, except for RSC2 since I haven't played it yet and probably won't pick it up for a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by hollismb@May 6 2004, 10:23 AM

You're right, by the way, the voice works exactly like Moto GP2, in that you're talking to the two cars nearest you. When you speak, their voices should appear on-screen.

Hmm, I'm not so sure about this. I ran into Jeff's car at one point and he still couldn't hear me. And with three-player races, shouldn't everyone be able to hear? I know we had at least one race where the driver in the middle couldn't hear one of us.

Guest Bryan

I need to update my impressions. Part of the difficulty I am having with the game so far is the collision factor. I just played another 45 minutes in career mode and enjoyed it much more so that last night. My lap times were more a function of collisions and spinouts online, and it was just me against the clock today. I think my enjoyment level will increase if I play with collisions off and just concentrate on getting around the track. This comes from someone driving for a Class C license in career mode.

My overall opinion of the game has improved after my second session. We need to start some XSN tournaments soon - maybe a team competition?

I'm discovering I definitely lean towards the arcade style of racers - I'm enjoying this one so far (and loved PGR2). I never played Colin Mcrae so I can't compare to that at least. I have ToCA, but have yet to really get into it - it just didn't grab me right off the bat... or starting line, I suppose. ;)