LCVG

The Bourne Supremacy

I just read an article somewhere that said the reason this movie is being made is because the DVD of the first one sold/rented extremely well. In fact it was the #1 rental last year. I'm one of those that rented it and I enjoyed it a lot, so I will probably go see this one in the theater.

LOVE the first movie, I'm a shoo-in for seeing the second, not even a question.

One of the smartest action movies I'd seen, and Matt Damon played it very well. The scene in the beginning portion where he's at the embassy and figuring out the layout and how to escape he just conveys really well that he's thinking things through fast and efficiently.

Really sold it for me.

Not to mention that kick-ass car chase.

And I love movies filmed in Europe.

See also: Ronin

-I have very few DVD's, but the Boune Identity is one of them. I'm looking forward to this sequel, and I'm glad to see Matt Damon back. I could see this being one of those sequels where they could have tried to bring in a poor ass Matt Damon replacement. I appreciate the consistancy. (Consistancy? Is that the right word? Continuity maybe?)

I've read all of the "Bourne" novels, and I was disappointed with the radical changes they made to the first one, but as a movie I really liked it. The plot of the second one looks very similar to the book so I am really looking forward to The Bourne Supremacy.

The basic plot:

|

|

|

V

Mild spoilers below.

When a Chinese vice-premier is offed in a most suspicious manner, investigators consider the possibility that legendary assassin Jason Bourne may still be alive. However, the US government knows the truth: there is no Jason Bourne. The name was used as a cover for American secret agent David Webb, who has since gone into retirement. Someone has taken the Bourne identity and used it to commit the assassination. Satisfied with not being involved in the case, Webb is pulled back into the game of spy versus spy when the woman he loves is suddenly torn from his life. Now, Webb must reassume the name Jason Bourne and use his deadly talents to save the girl, take down a mysterious assassin and avoid detection in the high-stakes world of international espionage.

Cool. :tu:

J.

I also enjoyed the books, and I thought the first movie one was very good, despite the departures from the original work. I rented, loved, and then bought the DVD, but I think it's still in the wrapper. :oops:

I'll definitely catch the second movie in the theaters. Thanks for posting the trailer, Chris! :tu:

Loved the 1st movie as well. Haven't read the books but have been inclined to do so.

I just liked how believable they did the whole "secret agent" thing. It just makes you wonder, are there really people out there with just extreme skills like that? So aware of their surroundings, physically quick and dominant, so well trained to blend in despite various cultures. That's just amazing to me.

I was certainly rather taken with the first film I must admit. Well above average in all departments really. I like the Bourne Supremacy trailer a lot, it's all looking nice and consistent in relation to its predecessor (good to have John Powell back for the score), plus more Julia Stiles is always a good thing.

Disappointed that Doug Liman isn't helming it, though. He and Damon seemed to buck the studio's typically asinine pressures.

I wouldn't worry. Liman is acting as one of the executive producers on the sequel I believe, but Paul Greengrass is an excellent British director (and writer incidentally, though he didn't write the screenplay for this). If you've never seen Bloody Sunday I seriously recommend it [it got a good DVD release from Paramount].

Daniel

Robert Ludlum wrote 3 books in The Bourne series: Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum. He died in 2001, so don't expect any others (unless his estate hires out another writer, a la John Gardner's James Bond series). I haven't read them, but each of his 21 books has been a best-seller, so they probably don't suck.

Downloading the trailer now. :tu:

I loved the 1st film. I never read the books, but will someday soon. What woried me about the 1st film when I saw the trailer was Matt Damon. I just never saw him as a Secret Agent type character. After watching the film on DVD, I was way wrong. He was perfect for the role. I for one am looking forward to more Bourne films.

-Dean-

Originally posted by RingWraith@May 11 2004, 12:55 PM

What woried me about the 1st film when I saw the trailer was Matt Damon. I just never saw him as a Secret Agent type character. After watching the film on DVD, I was way wrong. He was perfect for the role.

That was kind of why he worked so well, though - he seemed completely 'normal' up until he suddenly disarmed two guards before he'd even had time to think about what he was doing. I really liked the film, because you had spies actually spying, rather than acting like a one-man SEAL team (this means you, EON Productions).

Ouuu, nice. This is the first I've heard of a Bourne Supremacy movie, and after that trailer I'm very excited!

I loved the three Bourne books and was pleasantly surprised by the first movie.

Who wrote the books? Are they worth reading before I see the movies?

The books are so different, I don't think it matters if you read them before or after. Same basic premise, but quite a different story.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by adamsappel@May 10 2004, 03:28 PM

Robert Ludlum wrote 3 books in The Bourne series: Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum. He died in 2001, so don't expect any others (unless his estate hires out another writer, a la John Gardner's James Bond series).

The Bourne Legacy by Eric Von Lustbader

Veteran thriller maestro Lustbader (Black Heart, etc.) seizes the reins of Robert Ludlum's bestselling Jason Bourne series, proving that even Ludlum's death can't stop the ex-CIA operative. ... It's a hearty serving of meat and potatoes action adventure, just the sort of fare that both Ludlum's and Lustbader's fans relish.