LCVG

Post Your Gaming PC

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems so minor / trivial, but this has been the most cost effective upgrade I've done in years - a custom printed oversized mouse pad. Effectively acts as a cushion for my arms + hands, and it just

Love this!    

Well, Ryzen 9 3900x is installed, and my goodness the difference is huge with Flight Simulator 2020. I’ve gone from having to give everything a minute or so to settle after loading in with a mix of Lo

Posted Images

With a 670, I'd be inclined to wait until the Maxwell equivalent (i.e. GTX 870) arrives, assuming it's still limping along OK.

It definitely is - most games run 1920 x 1080p at 60fps with near max detail to date.  But it's that upgrade itch, you know?

Almost 2 years this time...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Case

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V Power Supply

LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner

CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Memory

EVGA GTX 680 SC 2048MB

Close enough to 2 years again. Looking at my last build I did quite a few upgrades from what I had originally bought; 4TB more of internal storage, added 8GB of memory for 16GB total and last but not least GTX 680 to a GTX Titan.

Decided to try my hand at a small form factor build this time and will move the old build to my office where the Titan can stretch its legs on triple monitors.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: Asus Z87I-DELUXE Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk 

Storage: Western Digital Black Series 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3GB

Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case 

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit

First rule of PC building: Large glass of red before you start. Relaxes the nerves and makes building easier, plus takes the edge off the pain when the inevitable sharp heatsink edge or whatever cuts your hand up at some point.

Built and just waiting for Win 7 to install. Stupid me forgot to backup my South Park Save before starting, so gonna have to play again this weekend to get back to where I was. DOH. **Unless it's in the windows.old folder, fingers crossed*

Ok folks now that this thing is running, should I even attempt over clocking CPU, Memory, GPU? never done it before.

Yes. Zero reason not to. I'm not much for GPU or memory overclocking but you should be able to easily OC your CPU. 

Reading material:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Haswell_OC_Guide/

I've got Sandy Bridge (two gens behind your processor) and I have mind at a stable 4.5ghz clock with the H60. Temps are in the 62-64c range. 

Another:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

Seriously, its stupidly easy.

All this

20140313_224558.jpg

Shoved into this

20140316_000454.jpg

20140317_192310.jpg

Still waiting on the second 80MM fan for the rear exhaust which I should get hopefully tomorrow. All-in-all not too much of a pain to put together outside of the H100i cooler which took some finessing and choice curse words to get in. Next up is to see how far I can overclock the CPU.

I suppose this went from being a simple HTPC into a quasi-gaming machine.  Other than a mid-level GPU, it's actually a pretty good system.  Storage and low noise were key here, and I have this thing running with the stock CPU fan and the intake fans that came with the case at below 40 degrees. 

Fractal Define R4 case

Rosewill Hive 550 PSU

MSI H87-g43 MB

Haswell i7 @ 3.5 GHz

16 GB DDR3 PC3 12800

MSI Gaming N750ti

LG BDRW

2x 7200 RPM seagate barracuda drives (3 tb ea)