LCVG

Post Your Gaming PC

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems so minor / trivial, but this has been the most cost effective upgrade I've done in years - a custom printed oversized mouse pad. Effectively acts as a cushion for my arms + hands, and it just

Love this!    

Well, Ryzen 9 3900x is installed, and my goodness the difference is huge with Flight Simulator 2020. I’ve gone from having to give everything a minute or so to settle after loading in with a mix of Lo

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of posting this in r/buildapc as well to get as much feedback as possible.

Old Computer: Was able to run 1080p with full settings on older games, now struggling to run newer games (I barely made it with Bioshock Infinite)

CPU: i5-2500k

GPU: 560 Ti (2 Running in SLI)

Memory: 8GB DDR3

PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850

Hard Drives: WD 1 TB HDD

Crucial M4 64 BG SSD

Case: Corsair 600T

Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 27in

Air Cooled

New Computer: Goal is to game at 4K Full Settings, noncompetitive, super quiet

CPU: i7-6700k

GPU: 980 Ti (2 Running In SLI)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

Memory: 16GB DDR4

Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (Gaming)

M.2 250GB (Windows Boot Drive and Microsoft Office)

Case: Corsair 600Q

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

Monitor: Dell P2715Q

Custom Watercooling Loop

This is going to run 3-3.5k.  My huge concern right now is whether I need a new power supply and more memory (I've often heard 8GB is plenty enough).  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($199.95 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($181.95 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($609.99 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($609.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Mid Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($85.49 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 

Total: $2990.21

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-28 11:26 EDT-0400

And this is my build for 2016.  I expect to get all the parts in next week.  And I was able to do all of this with 0% financing over twelve months between 2 stores (Amazon and Newegg).  This is long overdue.  I saved a lot of money bundling the mobo, memory, and cpu together.  There's a twenty dollar rebate for the GTX 980's I got.  I think this will serve me for another 5 years.  I'll probably stop by a local Microcenter (and by local I mean day trip from Lexington to Cincy) to pick up the watercooling.

Edit: I hope this is all done before Doom hits.

The first of NVIDIAs graphics cards for 2016 will be announced tomorrow. Anyone looking to jump on one? It's likely I am going to go for the 1070, or if the spec is all that I need, perhaps even the 1060 (though the 1070 and 1080 are due for release first according to rumours, however I am not looking to make a purchase until after the summer when Planet Coaster is properly released). 

I decided against waiting for the Pascal cards since I'm perfectly happy with upgrading from my old cards to a set of cards barely a year old.  

Otherwise, I've heard that the ones worth waiting for (the higher end 1070's and 1080's) will be a June release.  If you can wait until then, it'll be worth it.  Otherwise, I've always been of the belief that whatever tech cycle you're a part of, make sure to invest for at least two to three years.

I'm in no hurry, no. With Planet Coaster not formally due a release until the autumn/winter I will certainly have time to evaluate my options, but if the price is right a 1070 is probably what I'd go for as it would indeed meet my requirements for a good few years, whereas a 1060 (which should be out late summer) could possibly leave me wanting sooner rather than later.

Jesus. the 1080 is coming in at $599 and $699 for the overclockable founders edition. Up to twice the performance (VR) and three times the power efficiency of the Titan X. 27th of May release.

L0Pb.png

1070 is also faster than a Titan X and is $379 ($449 for founders edition). 10th of June.

M0Pb.png

Extraordinary. The 1070 will be mine (but will I need to upgrade my CPU?). 

• 2 weeks later...

Benchmarks for the 1070 are beginning to emerge...

Real, tangible benchmark data is starting to emerge from both of Nvidia's new Pascal-powered graphics cards, the GTX 1080 and 1070, and it's confirming what their creators have been saying since the announcement. This is a big generational performance jump, so big that the $449/£372 Founder's Edition of the GTX 1070 can outperform the Titan X. You may remember the Titan X from fairy tales - it's the card that only the three richest kings in all the land can afford, carrying a $1000/£850 price tag.

Feeling confident about the heft of your current hardware? Set it against the best VR games on PC and see how your frame rates do, then report back. Godspeed.

Over at Videocardz they've pitted the GTX 1080 and 1070 against both Nvidia and AMD's most powerful cards from the current generation - Maxwell GPUs such as the Titan X, 980 ti and 970 in the green corner, and Fiji/Tonga GPUs such as the R9 Fury X, Fury, 390X and 390 in the red corner. All cards ran 3DMark's Fire Strike benchmark, a hellishly demanding few minutes jam-packed with particle effects, steam coming from every surface, and a very abstract sword fight, and could consequently be ranked in order of their performance score.

While it's no big surprise that the GTX 1080 came up top of the rankings - it's what Nvidia have been saying it should do, after all - the 1070's performance is very impressive by comparison. Here are the full range of cards, in order of score:

vDToi65.jpg

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-gtx-1070-benchmarks?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That'll do me nicely. I don't know how much difference there will be between the regular and "founders" edition, but even if the regular is slightly less powerful it's more GPU than I will need in my PC for a good number of years given how limited my interest in PC gaming is.