LCVG

Post Your Gaming PC

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems so minor / trivial, but this has been the most cost effective upgrade I've done in years - a custom printed oversized mouse pad. Effectively acts as a cushion for my arms + hands, and it just

Love this!    

Well, Ryzen 9 3900x is installed, and my goodness the difference is huge with Flight Simulator 2020. I’ve gone from having to give everything a minute or so to settle after loading in with a mix of Lo

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, dogbert said:

It seems so minor / trivial, but this has been the most cost effective upgrade I've done in years - a custom printed oversized mouse pad. Effectively acts as a cushion for my arms + hands, and it just 'feels' really nice. Ordered a pair for my kids' desks too after seeing how well this turned out, and I'll likely do the same for my work setup. 

image.thumb.png.866f52392f6c61dbaa166c8a7ed42779.png

Where did you get that from?

I've just upgraded the desk itself to 150x75cm from 120x60, and it's so much more spacious; I love it.

But I'm popping in to ask about CPU upgrades. Thursday sees the AMD annoucement and I may go for the 5700x depending on price, but would a 3700x be sensible? Most places seem to suggest it's poor value over the 3600 to pay for 8 cores rather than 6, but I think they'll be useful with video stuff, and maybe more with games in future once the new consoles bed in. For now I'll stick with the GTX 1060 card I have - my monitors are only 1080p ones so a 3070 seems overkill.

I think the 3700X is a good pick for photo and video workloads and it certainly won’t hurt anything in gaming either and may better future proof the PC. Definitely wait for the announcement next week though just to see. I would also say that the 1060 is ok today but, will already be strained in newer stuff like Cyberpunk so upgrade that as soon as you can. Even if you don’t go for a 3070, a 2070 should drop in price later this month and would still be a great upgrade. 

• Like 1

That’s my thinking, really. 3700x seems to basically be a 3600 with two extra cores that most games don’t yet use (except MSFS), but Resolve certainly will. 

Upgrading the GPU is sure to happen soon enough, but most things that are actually slow are CPU bound at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Further tests: a mere five minutes to encode an 82 minute DVD rip in h.264 at “slow” quality settings. But while there was no heat throttling, it did peak at 80°C, which can’t be ideal. Maybe I’ll buy it a nice, big AiO liquid cooler next year. 

Also, Star Wars: Squadrons has gone from low to Ultra settings for flat screen. Nice. Had no idea so many things were CPU limited. 

• Like 2