LCVG

Top 5 Favorite games so far in 2004

JoeyN

Since we are almost half way done with the year I thought we should start up a thread. What are your top 5 games so far this year?

City of Heroes(PC)

Ive only played for three days but its already one of my favorite games this year. Trust me, I haven't gamed on a PC in years but this thing brought me back. Must Have

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow (Xbox)

Fun Single player, but even better multiplayer is something not to be missed

Onimusha 3(PS2)

The First Onimusha got me back into gaming when i picked up a PS2 for it way back when. This game just kicks ass. The intro is one of the best for any game on any system. Its one of the best looking games on PS2 and is a lot of fun

Carve(Xbox)

I know its a strange choice, but this is one of those games that i can pick up and play at anytime for a quick round. Not to mention you cant beat the price

Ninja Gaiden(Xbox)

I was debating if i should put this on or not as ive only played a few levels. however what i have played, i had to . One of the best looking games out there, lots of fun action and finally a game thats not afraid to be tough on the players

Trivial Pursuit ( XBOX )- I like playing with people on Live when we can't all sit down at the table and have a board game together. It's a lot of fun.

Harvest Moon - (GC ) I have not gotten to play a lot of it so far, but over all it's been a lot of fun to see how far the game has come graphically.

Pokemon Colosseum ( GC ) Heh ... I can steal other peoples pokemon finally !!! :twisted:

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow ( XBOX ) I like watching Cal play and try and find someway to kill Covak. It can frustrate him. :green:

Halo 2 ( XBOX ) I don't care if it's not out yet. This is still my fav game this year. ( Now if they will only release the damn thing this year ........ :? )

Unreal Tournament 2004 [PC]

Worms 3D [Gamecube]

Fight Night [Xbox]

MX Unleashed [Xbox]

Wario Ware [Gamecube]

If any of those are in my top 5 at the end of the year then it will have been a dissappointing year.

5- MX Unleashed

Took an already great game on the PC (Motocross Madness) and added just enough to make it even better :) The only thing it lacked was online support, but hopefully that will be fixed in the next version, so you guys that chose MTX over MX will see what you missed ;).

4- Far Cry

When you first walk outside your jaw will drop when you take one look at the draw distance in this game. The graphics as most everyone knows, whether you've played it or not, are a sight to be seen, but you must see this game in motion to truly appreciate it. BTW, this game made me scream almost as loud as I did when playing Fatal Frame... almost :P.

3- ToCA Race Driver 2

A pretty good mix of arcade and simulation makes this a great game for all types. It's easy enough for beginners to get a grasp on the handling of the various models of vehicles in the game, but at the same time gives the veterans enough challenge to push to shave that extra second off their lap times. This is also the first racing game on a console (that I can recall at least) to feature a clutch that you actually have to use. The clutch also happens to be analogue if set to one of the triggers on the Xbox controller :tu:

2- UT 2004

What a difference a year makes :) With the new game mode (Onslaught) and the vehicles, UT 2004 is everything that UT 2003 was supposed to be. If you didn't own last years UT 2003 this is one of the best values around. With over 100 maps, 10 game modes, 9 vehicles, voice chat, and some down right gorgeous graphics, you're $40-$50 will be put to good use. For those that did buy UT 2003, the same applies to you :D

1- City of Heroes

You know, I never quite understood why people would want to spend $40-$50 on a game only to pay a monthly fee as high as $15? That's around $230 for 1 game :shock: But, I guess when you find one that interests you enough, you're bound to take the plunge sooner or later.

Well, I found one :green:

Now I've been playing games since I was about 5 years old, I'm 30 now, and I can honestly say that I've never been so addicted to a game in all my life. From the customization of your character, to the living, breathing world around you, it's every persons dream who ever wanted to be a super hero when they were growing up :tu: Doing jumping jacks for a crowd and asking for money to ride the train isn't half bad either :lol:

#1) Toca Race Driver 2

#2) Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomarrow

#3) Links 2004

#4) Collin McRae 4

#5) ESPN Basketball 2004

Don't think I purchased another game in 2004. PGR2 and RS3 would be my other games that I played early on in the year but I dont touch those games anymore.

These are the only two I've bought this year that are absolute standouts for me.

Everquest: Champions of Norrath

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

I really want to get in on the City of Heroes ction, I can tell I would love the game, but my PC won't handle it. :(

Question: Can you only pick games that have been released in 2004?Looking back at the games I've played so far this year, most of them have been either titles that came out at the end of last year or are older games that I'm "catching up" on.

No matter what, the best game I've played this year is Ninja Gaiden. What an utterly brilliant fighting game! This is one of those titles that I had to play through a second time just because I had an unquenchable thirst to play again. Everything about this title exceeds my expectations. The fighting mechanics are simple, yet deep. It is a challenge, but for a successful run through it relies on the skill of the player rather than some cheap trap to cause an instant kill. The graphics are among the finest on Xbox and music and sound effects are memorable to boot. Now when can we have a sequel?

Next on the list would probably be Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. This game improves upon the original in ways that you would expect and adds one of the most unique and rewarding multi-player modes in the history of gaming. It is only marred by a single-player mission that is too short and too easy. Let's hope Ubisoft relieves the problem with some good downloadable levels.

Next on the list would be Metroid Zero: Mission for the GBA. This remake of the original Metroid works because it feels like an entirely new experience rather than a rehash with better graphics. For fans of the series, it is a must-have title. As with Splinter Cell, its only downfall is its length and the relative ease. The upside is that beating the game once will unlock the hard difficulty, which I assure you all, is much tougher.

I?d follow that up with another re-make Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. To be honest, I had some serious issues with this game, mostly because of its overly long conversations and cinema scenes. I like playing my games, not watching them. I only place it on my list because it?s the only other game from 2004 that I have played thus far.

Now, if we?re talking about just games we?ve played in 2004, Here?s how I?d rank them.

1. Ninja Gaiden
  2. Beyond Good & Evil
  3. ICO
  4. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  5. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

And in the words of Forrest Gump, ?That?s all I have to say about that!?

Just games released this year, in no order, except for Ninja Gaiden as my absolute favorite:

-Ninja Gaiden

-TOCA Pro Race Driver 2

-Colin McRae Rally 4

-Rallisport Challenge 2

-Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

(looking over the list so far, it's a good year for racing games & my Gamecube is lonely :cry: )

Here's my list of the top 5 games that I've played this year.

5. Colin McRae 4 (Xbox)

4. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (GC)

3. Paper Mario (N64) - Didn't get to play it initially, and was really enjoying it until CoH found it's way into my home.

2. ESPN College Hoops (Xbox)

1. City of Heroes (PC) - Best game I've played in years. Go up one level, work on another mission, pick up a new mission from your contact, go up another level to finish that mission, rinse, repeat. :) I love this game like no other game I've played in the last year.

Here are my picks:

1. Ninja Gaiden ? easily the best game I?ve played in quite some time.

2. PGR2 ? I haven?t played it in a while, but for the few weeks that I did, I couldn?t put it down.

3. Links ? Again I haven?t been playing as much lately, but it kept my going for a while.

4. Metroid: Zero Mission ? Great game played on the Game Boy Player. Only grip, to short.

5. CM04 ? I haven?t played through much of this game yet, but what I have played has been great.

This list is sticking to games released in 2004. There are other games that I have played a bit more, but they?re 2003 releases.

Hmm, let's see:

1. Colin McRae 4 - Pure rally racing, supreme physics, lovely courses.

2. Project Gotham 2 - I burned out on this more quickly that i expetced, but i think I'll come back to it. Unquestionably one of the finest racing games ever, and certainly one of the best online experiences.

3. Links 2004 - I love the no-nonsense play in this game, always fun to pick up when you need a relaxing game.

4. TOCA Pro race Driver 2 - Still getting into this game, in a way, but the mix of sim and arcade is sweet here, nearly perfect for me.

5. Rallisport Challenge 2 - Kind of early to put on here, but so far this is a superb arcade racer with eye-popping visuals and enough challenge to keep it interesting. The online part is what pushes it into the top 5.

Ummm uhhhh most of the games I've bought this year so far are older games... yeah, from the end of last year. So here's what I can remember:

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

Baldurs Gate II (Xbox)

Everquest: Champions of Norrath (PS2)

I'm sure there are others but I'm too lazy to get up and actually go LOOK right now. :)

Originally posted by iCamp@May 9 2004, 10:15 PM

TC SC PT?

I can randomly put six letters into pairs too. ;)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is a lot to type.

Remember the good old days when videogames had short names? PONG! COMBAT!!! OUTLAW!!!

God, I'm old.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to post a list or something.

1. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC/Mac) - Haven't done anything exciting with it other than deathmatches but this game just rocks. I'm sure I won't be able to truly appreciate what this game can do until I go into Onslaught mode.

2. Ninja Gaiden (XBox) ? even in spite of the lame camera I think this game rocks.

3. Colin McRae 4 (XBox) ? Rallisport Challenge 2 is awesome, don't get me wrong, but this wins for realism. The car damage is fantastic and it's fun to play. But more importantly, without my co-driver giving me instructions I'd NEVER be able to pull off the kind of driving I can do in this game. I've never gotten such a sick thrill out of watching myself driving in a replay laughing my ass off wondering how the HELL I was able to do what I did during an event. NO other videogame I've EVER played allowed me to do that.

4. MVP 2004 (XBox) - I was never so floored by the play mechanics in a baseball game. I friggin' LOVE the pitching and batting system. The fielding assist is a plus, especially because I suck.

5. WarioWare (GC) - Having never played the GameBoy version I can honestly say I think this game is brilliant. From the goofy interface all the way to the game mechanics and the music, this is an all around triumph.