LCVG

Former Nintendo Fanboy Catches up on Sonic

JFo

During my more youthful years, I was a hardcore Nintendo fan boy, which meant I owned an NES, a Super NES, and a GameBoy. I did not "lower" myself to playing anything on the Sega Genesis or one of those "other" systems. Hence, I never got the chance to try out some of the great games for those consoles, among them the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Now that I'm (a little) older and (somewhat) wiser and since the Sonic series is now available on a Nintendo system (I still wonder if that's possible) through the Sonic Mega Collection, I figured it was time to give these classic titles a spin. Whether you like it or not, here's what I think of these games!

First off, I've only played the first three games. I'm one or two zones away from beating Sonic 3 and the other two are in the can (with a bit of help thanks to some stage select codes I found online :lol: ). Thus far, I'm very pleased. If I had to pick one weak game in the series, it would be the first one. My biggest complaint with it is that there didn't seem to be many places in the levels that allowed Sonic to really get up to speed and take off. It's like Sega created a character with this terrific ability and then didn't allow you to exploit it. As a result, much of it comes across as generic platformer material. The areas that come to mind specifically are the Marble and Labyrinth Zones. Furthermore, it often doesn't pay to run too fast because if you do, you're liable to run into an enemy and lose all your rings or worse.

Now, Sega must have realized its mistake because I noticed that in the second and third game there is a lot more emphasis on speed and giving Sonic (and Tails) enough room to really fly through the boards, which is fine by me, since that's when these games are at their best. I was actually somewhat shocked by how fast things got during the second game. The same goes for the third. Ah, the wonders of "blast processing." ;)

Another thing I do like about these games is the layout of the levels. While Sonic is indeed a platformer, and linear by nature, the fact that the levels are so wide open, and there are so many different ways to get to the end keeps it feeling fresh and new. I've had several instances where I would play through a level one way, die, and then go on a completely different path. This took some of the sting out of having to play through a level again, mostly because I was just repeating the same thing over and over.

The graphics and art direction of these games is quite good with each new installment improving upon the last. It is obvious Sega learned how to exploit the abilities of the Genesis in the later games to make its mascot look better. The music, while sometimes annoying, is very catchy, and even as I write this, the Marble Zone theme from the first game is running through my head incessantly. Damn you, Sega!

When it comes down to it, I can honestly say that I like the speedy blue hedgehog and his games. I certainly look forward to playing Sonic and Knuckles next. While I?m on the subject, what does everyone think about Sonic 3D Blast? I haven?t heard much about that one, but I get the impression that it isn?t too good.

Now all I need is a way to play Sonic CD and I?ll be a happy man.

Oh, and I would like to go on record as saying there is nothing more annoying than have 80 or 90 rings and then getting hit by an enemy. My Hori D-pad is lucky that I haven?t split it in half yet when this happens. :x

I believe Ristar is on that disc (I have it but haven't played it much) and that is one of my favorite platformers ever. Yet another good reason to have the Sonice Mega Collection in my library.

I read that Comix Zone was included on the Japanese release of SMC, so I'm kind of bummed its not on the US release.

I believe Ristar is on that disc

It is, and I love it, but boy is it a pain to unlock. You have to play a total of 270 games (20 each of Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, Spinball, and 3D blast, and 30 each of Mean Bean, Blue Sphere, Flicky [also an excellent game], Knuckles in Sonic 2, and Knuckles in Sonic 3). It took me about a week to unlock it (make sure to keep pen & paper handy to record each time).

Originally posted by Pharmboy@May 10 2004, 08:35 AM

Jeff, you are seriously tempting my resolve to grab a copy of this cheap, I have to admit.

Go ahead, Mark. It's only $20. You don't really need that money, do you? You can spare it. You know you'd just end up spending it on booze and fast women anyway. Do yourself a favor and instead spend it on a really fast blue hedgehog. ;)

Sonic The original was amazing. The game was actually difficult (something that later Sonic games were not). Sonic 2 I can easily blow through in an hour or two, but its a great game with kickass music. Sonic 3 was okay and Sonic and Knuckles about the same reaction. The mushrooms were cool.

I actually liked Sonic 3d Blast. Its different, but a fun little game. Flicky rox. Hard.