LCVG

Nintendo Keynote

Camp

I'm not 100% sure what the music was but I am sure it sucked.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is very prominent in the opening videos....looks as good as expected.

Starfox is looking a LOT better than the videos released last year. Showing multiplayer, tanks, on-foot action. Doesn't look like the same Namco game at all.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Resident Evil 4 is next....looks phenomenal.

I'm not sure who the guy opening the show is but he's really emphesizing 'guns', 'explosions', and action.

Big shots at Microsoft & Sony (one company want you to store everything you own on their Memory Sticks; the other company doesn't care what you do as long as you do it on their operating system)...the other guys didn't mention the competiton at all. Odd that Nintendo would come out guns blazing.

Now we're into the Powerpoint presentation and sales figures. ZZZzzz....

)...the other guys didn't mention the competiton at all. Odd that Nintendo would come out guns blazing.

I think it's a sign that they are scared, honestly. It's very reminiscent of Apple back before Jobs returned and their outlook was extremely bad, they lashed out at MS and other companies.

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are incorrect, but I think the motivation is basically fear.

My 2?

An awful lot of talk about the import of "casual gamers" defined as people who just want a "quick game". Not sure where they're going with this...more Wario Ware games? More Mario Party?

"Can PSP catch GBA?"

"The real question is can PS2 even catch GBA?"

20.5 million PS2's in the US versus 22 million GBA's

(this is part of their logic against PSP?? -they also go on about durability versus the PSP)

More quick game videos:

Paper Mario 2 -Looks impressive

Pikmin 2

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Advance Wars -for Gamecube!

Donkey Konga

Geist -too dark to tell if it looks much better than last year.

A bunch of GBA games

Rainbow Zix 3

Killer 7

Tales of Symphonia

Baten Kaitos

Viewtiful Joe 2

-and a bunch of non-exclusive titles

They must be scared of all of their cash.

Well, please don't mistake my comments for bashing, because I like Nintendo a lot, and I want nothing more than for them to succeed. I'm just saying that opening a conference by attacking your competition reminds me of how Apple used to behave when they were doing badly...and at the time they too had a lot of cash in the bank, but cash doesn't replace sales.

The DS isn't too big at all. It fit in his inner suit pocket.

I'd say it's about twice as wide as the SP but it appears to be thinner (especially the top portion).

They're trying to compensate for the DS's lack of horsepower by selling how "creative" the dual screen system is.

Each screen can do 2D or 3D independently. Um...they're showing (not sure if this is a game or a tech demo) Mario64 running (in full 3D) on the top screen with an overhead map view on the bottom screen.

Holy crap!! Metroid (in 3D) on DS (crowd goes wild). It's on the bottom screen and uses the touch screen. (?) He said you use the touch screen to fire. It will be playable tomorrow. (it looked impressive graphically)

Two media types...GBA games & DS exclusive games (which are smaller cards)

Built-in microphone -voice control coming in some games.

"dual" wireless capability - up to 100' range. Chatting, with whiteboard drawings. System will auto wake up from sleep mode when it detects other systems.

Bluetooth & Wi-fi built in. [Wifi is a bit of a surprise]

Now I'm getting excited about the DS. FOr some reason it looks better in this video than in the USA Today screenie. I dunno why.

I'm a little concerned that the second screen will only be for "maps" and inventory systems" and such. I'd like to see some more advanced usages of it.

Man... we need more DS screens and info.

Regarding the Nintendo is scared comments. There is plenty of room for 3 companies, also I just wonder why people think Nintendo would be scared of anything. They're doing bangup business in the handheld industry and are still improving in the console market. They know they didn't do well in the console industry this time around, but I think they did well enough to keep at it for a while now.

Things like having WiFi and Bluetooth in their new handhelds really show great promise for their next console entry "Revolution."

At this point it seems like Nintendo may have had the best keynote thus far. Sony's was pretty unimpressive, Microsoft's info was a good deal of things that had already been covered, Nintendo had something really "new" to show.

Of course, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Glen

Iwata is on now...talking about N5 now. He's basically just confirming N5 is coming. Talking about the same type of "creative" approach they took in creating the DS in designing their next home console.

Holy crap!!! A mature Zelda game for Gamecube!! It looks better than the original tech demos prior to GCN release. Wow

I'm a little concerned that the second screen will only be for "maps" and inventory systems" and such. I'd like to see some more advanced usages of it.
Yep, I'm not sold at all on the functionality of it.

Glad to see they are giving us "the other Zelda game".

Miyamoto is on talking about the all new Link. (he's wearing one of those "1up" mushroom shirts). Just a token appearance but the key is Zelda is reinvented.

Show over...

...Zelda was a shocker but beyond Metroid, Resident Evil, Starfox, and the potential of DS that's about it. No Mario 128 -I didn't even see Mario Tennis.