LCVG

Nintendo DS

Mark E

USA Today has an article up on the new DS and yes, there is a picture of the system.

DS Article

Not quite the sleek look of the SP, but interesting none the less.

Here's the big thing though, one of the screens has been confirmed to be a touch-stylus sort of deal along the lines of our good friend the PDA. SO we now know for sure what the deal is with the second screen. They discuss a Mario game in the article where Baby Mario is plummeting to earth and you have to steer him around by drawing clouds, which sounds unique at the very, very least.

The system WILL play GBA games as well as DS games.

Remains to be seen how people take to this, but it certainly opens up a lot of interesting new possibilities for games.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bryan

I'm happy with the look of it. I do wonder if the touchpad 'screen' can offer the same quality visuals as the main screen. It seems like stylus input would degrade the display over time.

Originally posted by Bryan@May 11 2004, 01:19 PM

It seems like stylus input would degrade the display over time.

I've not noticed that be a problem with any PDA, but then I've not really used any PDA as much as my Gameboys - anyone who actually has used a PDA for a long time care to comment?

The USA Today article seems to imply that its got the power to handle N64 conversions - I'll be happy to hand over real cash to get Mario64 on the move.

Maybe I missed it, but will the screens be backlight?

Regardless, it looks interesting and it's nice it's backward compatible. Although I suppose that shouldn't be surprising as Nintendo has been good in terms of backward compatiblitly with it's portable systems. I just hope this doesn't diminish developement of GBA games.

Ugh. It's ugly. :(

I much prefer the design of the PSP, but then of course, it's going for something completely different. I do like the fact it will play all the old stuff as well. THis way if I get one, I can dump my GBA SP.

Hey section mods, we might want to relocate this thread to the E3 section, since I suppose it is technically relevant to it :).

Anyway, GameSpy has a shockingly nice breakdown of a bunch of the DS games on display, much better than what I saw on the GameSpot site at any rate. If you're looking for a little more info on them, check there.

The Article In Question

The WarioWare games featuring the stylus sound neat.

Whoa!

Pac-Pix -- This was probably my favorite game out of the ones I saw. In this title, the level is a standard sheet of loose-leaf paper. Hand-drawn ghosts appear on the sheet, and you must draw a Pac-Man and guide it with simple lines to defeat them. You only have a finite amount of ink that can only be replenished by eating coasts. Depending on how much ink you have, you can draw a giant Pac-Man that eats everything on screen or a plethora of Pac-Men that attack multiple ghosts. The game is most inventive and lots of fun. I was told that Shigeru Miyamoto himself said, "I'm a bit jealous of this one."

From http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/513/513341p3.html

-j

Very nice, and the backwards compatability never hurts.

Do we know if this is going to be connectable to the Cube to take advantage of, say Pac-Man Vs. and suchlike? If so, I think I'm holding off on that GBA I wanted :).

Hmm, are those straight from the DS screen or the TV demo things though? They mention in the GameSpy article that the games do not look great on TV but looked really good on the actual DS screens.

Not sure if that's the case, but one possible explanation.

One site (I *think* in the Gamespot hands-on) said it's backlit. It wasn't clear whether the writer was aware of the difference between backlighting and the current GBA SP's sidelighting or whatever. They also said somewhere that there will probably be some cosmetic changes.

EDIT: Yeah, Gamespot says it's backlit.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097113.html

-j