LCVG

Gran Turismo 4 info

Darius

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DETAILS ON NEW GAME MODES AND FEATURES FOR HIGHLY ANTICIPATED AUTOMOTIVE RACING SIMULATION IN THE UPCOMING RELEASE OF GRAN TURISMO 4 ON PLAYSTATION2

Latest Version of Gran Turismo 4 To Be Featured At 2004 Electronic Entertainment Expo Product Demonstrates New Level in Gaming Entertainment

LOS ANGELES, May 11, 2004 Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today further details regarding new game modes and features for the upcoming worldwide

November 2004 release of Gran Turismo 4, developed exclusively for the PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system. Following in the footsteps of the PlayStation 2 "Greatest Hit,"

Gran Turismo 3 A-spec, and a racing franchise that has sold more than 35 million units worldwide, Gran Turismo 4 continues to deliver authentic racing gameplay with new fully enhanced features that focus on new gameplay physics encompassing more than 500 cars, up to 100 courses and unique original modes, including robust online gameplay via the Network Adaptor (Ethernet/modem) (for PlayStation?2).

Developed by Polyphony Digital Inc., the latest version of Gran Turismo 4 further demonstrates its mission to provide the most authentic driving simulation available in the marketplace. New features at the Electronic Entertainment Expo will extend above and beyond just pure automotive racing, providing a unique destination for automotive and PlayStation 2 enthusiasts to enjoy car culture in every dimension - extending that goal will be highlighted through the new "GT Photo Mode," and the highly anticipated "GT Online Mode." In addition, enhanced popular features will return with "GT Career Simulation Mode" and "GT Arcade Mode" demonstrating more than 100 cars playable on eight unique courses at the show.

"With the extensive amount of detail and realism that is sure to provide hours of endless entertainment, Gran Turismo 4 further extends the franchise to new heights, serving as a true pioneer in providing sophisticated videogame technology that showcases the best of both the automotive and videogame industries," said Ami Blaire, director, product marketing, Sony Computer Entertainment America. "At E3, show attendees will get a glimpse of the many new features and enhancements that not only demonstrate a new standard for the genre, but will continue to build momentum for its upcoming November release. With its broad appeal and strong entertainment value, we believe that Gran Turismo 4 should be a staple in every gamer's PlayStation 2 software library."

New and Enhanced Features For Gran Turismo 4

NEW FEATURES

GT Photo Mode - Players can travel around the globe with their car(s) and conduct photo sessions in various popular locations that include Piazza San Marco, Shibuya, Tsumago, Sagano and more. Once the photo is taken in the game, the player can save it to their memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation?2) and have the option to share with friends or print out a color copy via a USB printer.

GT Online Mode - Mode in final product features head-to-head racing for up to six players per race. It includes chat functionality and in-depth menu screen for the ability to build communities to interact about automotive topics.

ENHANCED FEATURES

GT Arcade Mode - Players compete against each other or the artificial intelligence with select cars on select courses. Additional cars and courses are available in the GT Arcade Mode when they are unlocked in the GT Career Simulation Mode.

GT Force Wheel - To further enhance the automotive racing experience, in lieu of the DUALSHOCK?2 analog controller, the GT Force Wheel developed by Logitech, can be used for the entire game. Available in black with brushed aluminum accents, the Gran Turismo branded GT Force Wheel provides a shifter for manual transmissions, 900 degrees of steering rotation and force-feedback. For more information, please visit http://www.logitech.com.

Cars and Course To Be Featured at E3 2004 in Gran Turismo 4

At E3 2004, more than 100 automobiles will be available, representing a variety of auto manufacturers from around the world . The final product will include more than 500 cars.

In addition, eight courses will be available including Nurburgring Nordschleife, listed below. The final product will contain up to 100 courses.

New York City

Fuji Speedway

Tsukuba Circuit

Grand Canyon

Citta di Aria

Costa di Amalfi

Hong Kong

Nurburgring Nordschleife - Featuring a "rollercoaster-style" race course with various elevation changes and turns, located in the wooded hills of the Eifel plateau in Western Germany, Nurburgring is widely regarded as one of the most challenging race courses in the world. Opened in June,1927 with a total length of 20.8km and a total of 73 corners (33 left, 40 right), the track is considered legendary and mythical amongst many motorsport competitors and fans. The Formula One Grand Prix makes its stop at Nurburgring every year for the official Grand Prix of Europe and many auto manufacturers from around the world use the track as a testing ground.

No in-car view=no buy for me.

No vehicle damage and visible damage means no buy for me. It may look all pretty and shiny. It may drive as realistic as you can get for a video game, but the fact that you don't experience damage and the cars don't show damage makes it boring.

I'll cope without damage if they really want, but please, pretty please, don't ruin the near-photorealistic look by having the rally cars churn up massive clouds of dirt and dust, yet appear showroom-spotless on the other side. It just looks stupid.

I can understand the whole damage thing - you're not supposed to drive into walls anyway. But completing a rally track necessitates driving through puddles, and they aren't coated in Teflon.

I can understand the whole damage thing - you're not supposed to drive into walls anyway. But completing a rally track necessitates driving through puddles, and they aren't coated in Teflon.

But there are many ways to damage a car other than driving into walls, especially in rally racing, where simply taking a jump with a slight slide off the top can mean you end up landing on something other than 4 wheels. Without damage a crucial part of the rally experience is gone.

Will the tires wear in GT4?

Originally posted by RingWraith+May 12 2004, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RingWraith @ May 12 2004, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Darius@May 12 2004, 07:37 AM

Sorry, I meant to say it includes the Nurburgring track that is in PGR2.

aaaannnnnnnddddddd.........cue Sam P. ;)

-Dean- [/b]

W000t!!!!!!!!

The Formula One Grand Prix makes its stop at Nurburgring every year for the official Grand Prix of Europe

That's not entirely accurate. The GP of Europe takes place in the new circuit, not the Nordschleife that's going to be featured in-game.

If they added an in-car view to the game, I'd buy a PS2 just to play it.

No in-car view=no buy for me.

I would like a dashboard view, too. But its absence hardly kills the game. 500 dashboards to model is alot more than TOCA's.

No vehicle damage and visible damage means no buy for me. It may look all pretty and shiny. It may drive as realistic as you can get for a video game, but the fact that you don't experience damage and the cars don't show damage makes it boring.

Oh, come on. You're saying that vehicle damage is the essence of a racing game? If you're saying you want penalties for driving badly, say hitting the wall, that's always been an option in old 'Turismos.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll be picking up the wheel, too. Maybe an online adapter as well. I haven't fired up my PS2 for a few months. It's been sitting idle waiting for this game. :)

I would like a dashboard view, too. But its absence hardly kills the game. 500 dashboards to model is alot more than TOCA's.
I don't need individual dashboards for each car. A couple of generic dash views like the ones seen in TOCA RD2 & RSC2 would be fine...and it does kill the game for me. I've been spoiled & no other view will do now. ;)

Originally posted by Dan B.@May 13 2004, 02:07 AM

I don't need individual dashboards for each car. A couple of generic dash views like the ones seen in TOCA RD2 & RSC2 would be fine...and it does kill the game for me. I've been spoiled & no other view will do now. ;)

The only problem I see is I don't think a game like gran turismo would put in generics. They would want the real thing. Plus if they did put in generics they would just get knocked for it.

The only problem I see is I don't think a game like gran turismo would put in generics. They would want the real thing. Plus if they did put in generics they would just get knocked for it.

Well I am certainly going to knock them for making the car interior invisible while I'm driving then. Isn't that also a pretty generic view?

I haven't seen an in-car view for the Forza racing game, either. I will put my foot down & not buy these games without it.

I'm kind of with Dan B on this one. I hate it when racing games dont include an in car dash view. After playing Toca for so much over the past few weeks I went back and tried PGR2 with the standard 3rd person view that I used and it just feels so wrong. Its sad that in my hay day of playing racing sims on the PC (late 1990's) that all the ones I played had nice in car views yet games of today dont? I just dont get it. If you are going to call yourself a racing SIM you had better simulate it better than making me drive in 3rd person or from a bumper. I'd much rather take a hit graphically in order to have a nice in car view.

Oh, come on. You're saying that vehicle damage is the essence of a racing game? If you're saying you want penalties for driving badly, say hitting the wall, that's always been an option in old 'Turismos.

Vehicle damage is an extremely important part of racing. If I can get away with sliding through a turn and using other cars for bumpers to slide past them without any negative effect that is a flawed game. If I can go full out down a straight and miss the turn slamming head on into a guard rail but it only giving me a thunk and stopping my car that is lame. It should be game over, you should shatter into a million pieces and have to restart the track. Slide against the wall too much you should start losing side panels and it should effect your aerodynamics and downforce. If I am side by side with an opponent and we touch sides going 150mph it should cause damage and have negative consequences, it doesn't. Your tires should blow, suspension should crack, and aerodynamics should take a major hit because of vehicle damage. If they don't want to do it for the normal street races they should at least do it for the rally portions.

The Gran Turismo games drive and feel great, unless you hit an object. That has always been its major weak points and I can't believe after 4 iterations of it they still aren't doing anything about it. Its just more of the same. They advertise the game as a realistic driving simulation, but refuse to acknowledge actual vehicle wear and tear. Its almost like they concentrate more and more on how it looks instead of how it should act.

I respect what you're saying but I guess GT is different things to different people. For me, Gran Turismo has always been a superb model of real-world handling. It is supremely competent in demonstrating and mimmicking the way different cars react differently at the limits of traction and in a racing environment. It's about simulating traction/grip and the need for racing drivers to constantly balance and use it to their advantage. For example, GT does a phenomenal job of demonstrating the different layouts - Front Wheel Drive, Rear Wheel or All Wheel. It also does a great job of simulating the effects of elevation changes & weight transfers on driving (though some other recent racing games are becoming very proficient at this as well, i.e. PGR2). GT also puts tremendous emphasis on proper throttle and brake usage, as opposed to just steering which is the focus of most arcade-style racing games. And you get to experience all of this while upgrading your vehicle and seeing the differences of individual upgrades. It's easy to convey a sense of speed or acceleration in a striaght line. But to express all the delicacy and subtleties and nuances of handling is another dimension altogether.

To me, that is driving and that's the core of GT. I believe they call GT the "real driving simulator" and that is what it is. They didn't say the "real racing simulator".

Of course, what you've brought up can be very important to racing. However, hitting walls certainly isn't the fastest time around a racetrack and one who drives poorly will be penalised with slow times. It's not as if you got away with it entirely.

And even games that implement "damage" let you get away with much more than you would in real life. In TOCA you can hit the wall head on, get all your lights flashing but can mostly continue. In real life, the driver will probably sustain too much physical abuse to keep racing. So you want to model driver health too?

If you make a game where damage is so paramount to racing you better put a hell of a lot more work in the A.I., too. Most computer cars in most racers are far too dumb to avoid contact where they should. Where do you draw the line? How much is enough?

As it stands, I'm pretty thrilled with what they have done.

If I can get away with sliding through a turn and using other cars for bumpers to slide past them without any negative effect that is a flawed game. If I can go full out down a straight and miss the turn slamming head on into a guard rail but it only giving me a thunk and stopping my car that is lame.

They're actually addressing this. In GT4 Prologue there is a penalty when you hit a wall or another car. It forces you to drive 30ish mph for a given amount of time based on how bad the impact was. This will be more than enough deterrant for most people to race nicely and properly. The restriction may not stop them from doing it again or stop you from doing it again. But its going to be awfully hard to win a race if you can't drive fast.

The only part of GT where I think damage is crucial, as I said above, is the rally portion. Half the sport of rally driving is damage control, if you drive properly in a rally, you will damage the car, the key is to minimize it.

I look forward to seeing what GT4 has in store for the rally portion of the game, but if the cars can't be damaged, it will be little more than an interesting drive to me.

I guess I should say that I have never played a GT game so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. :) Not a fan of the PS2 at all and 1 racing game is hardly enough for me to want to go buy one. Thank goodness Xbox has so many good racing games out now and more coming in the future. I never thought I'd see the day where there were so many good racing games. :tu:

Not a fan of the PS2 at all and 1 racing game is hardly enough for me to want to go buy one.

To be frank, that is my exact position. I bought the PS2 specifically for GT3 and I haven't used it one bit for months. I definitely see its merits as a system/ games, but there are few I particularly like. The ones I do are cross-platform anyway, and work better on the XBOX or PC.

I bought the PS2 specifically to play GT3 too, although to be honest it was probably too much of a sim for me after many years of not gaming at all. It also just seemed so clinical, not what I was looking for.

I'm looking forward to GT4, I want to see what they've been up to, clearly P.D. is dedicated to making a quality driving game.