LCVG

Advance Wars, Cube

matt

Alright, with all the perplexity going on here and the general hype about Advance Wars on the Cube, I figured it deserved a thread of it?s own.

So it looks like an action game from the clip. Kind of weird to me as I watched it, not at all what I was expecting. But then I thought, what if they keep intact the strategy board game aspect of the series and add the action simply for the battles you line up. Instead each battle being decided by random roles of the dice, you actually have to fight it out with 2 infantry, 3 heavy tanks and a scout? I think that might be interesting. Of course it could suck, but we?ll just have to wait for a demo (hopefully). Anyone else have any speculations?

Any release date info for this title?

Maybe not completely...

This isn't the Advance Wars that you remember. In its transition to the console world, Under Fire is losing its turn based pedigree in favor of real-time strategic action. Players will take control of a squad of soldiers who will follow your lead. You'll guide your troops into battle and instruct them on who and how to attack. As they gain experience, your troops will gain new abilities. Also, your soldiers will be able to commandeer vehicles, including tanks and gunships.

The trailer that Nintendo showed at its Media Briefing made the gameplay look more akin to Call of Duty than Advance Wars, but with the few details revealed in Nintendo's Media Kit, it appears that this may be a hybrid of the two -- a strategic Call of Duty with cartoony army men.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/513/513776p1.html

Erm... I just watched the video and don't know what to think. Looks like some silly little action game.

If that was just the RTS part of the game, and it's more like a Total War game overall (where you spend most of your time in the strategic board game part), then it could still be great.

But that video doesn't give me much hope.

I was thinking I might buy a GC finally to play Fire Emblem adn Advance Wars GC, but not for an action Advance Wars! Maybe if they wanted to have an alternate action sequence ala Archon (where you move the units, then you fight the battle yourself), but an RTS? I don't think I'll be holding out hope for this one.

Fire Emblem still looks pretty tight though...

• 3 months later...

I just saw this over at Magic Box.

Nintendo announced that the GameCube tactical simulation game Advance Wars: Under Fire will support the GameCube microphone, you can voice control the troops and weapons in the game.

They're going to have to come out with cable extenders for that damn Microphone, as I'll be sitting at least 10 feet away from my cube. Grrrr.

Glen

What I would like to know is how you're supposed to use the microphone while at the same time holding a controller. With games like Rainbox Six 3 on the Xbox, the voice commands were given on a headset, which obviously does not require a free hand to hold. Perhaps we'll see an optional microphone stand available in stores at about the same time as the game's release.

You never know. :D

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Sep 15 2004, 11:09 PM

I can just picture sitting in the theater yelling out, "ATTAAAACCCKKK!!!"

"DAMNIT MICROPHONE!!!! ATTTTAAACCCCKKKK!!!!"

:)

Glen

That reminds me of a fond memory. One saturday morning as I was waking up, I heard the following take place:

"go go go...

GO GO GO...

I SAID 'GO GO GO' YOU LAZY MOTHERFUCKERS!"

I walked into the living room and saw my very angry wife playing R63: Black Arrow.